Hardware diagnostics

Hardware, Software, Managed Services, Remote Support, Industry News, your tech shop setups, whatever else.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. Don't be a prick.

Hardware diagnostics

Postby xide » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:19 am

Just wondering what everyone is using for hardware diagnostics, I know there are several windows based ones out there, however I need something that is bootable. My current solution who shall remain nameless wants $400 each for an upgrade, and forces me to use a USB and CD at the same time in most cases. I mainly want something to test harddrives and ram. I know there are companies like WD and seagate that offer such utilities but they don't seem be as reliable as my current one is. So let me know if you know of anything inexpensive or free.

Thanks in advance!
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Re: Hardware diagnostics

Postby Xander » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:13 pm

http://www.tufftest.com/ <--I bought the $2 version a while ago and it seems pretty outdated now but worth a look. I just downloaded the free "for Windows" version out of curiousity and realized I still had it in my Downloads folder from 2011. File size is the same and the EULA dates to 2009. Still, for $2, I don't feel ripped off.

For $10, there's BootMedPlus which is Linux-based.
Xander

Re: Hardware diagnostics

Postby csc » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:33 pm

I use WinPE to boot my diagnostic utility from d7II. So just build a WinPE project with d7II built in and run everything normally from there. You can get d7II to load automatically on startup within your WinPE installation if that helps.
csc

Return to General Stuff