Networking

Hardware, Software, Managed Services, Remote Support, Industry News, your tech shop setups, new user introductions, and whatever else.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. Don't be a prick.

Networking

Postby FredClaus » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:56 pm

This topic got stuck in my head from the show today. TP-Link is terrible for networking. I'm looking for a brand that I can trust to recommend to my clients and install in many different applications. Right now I'm testing out Linksys, but I'm not convinced yet. Here's why

1. the Access Point I have doesn't give nearly the range they claimed it did in my office setting.
2. The Modem/Router keeps going off and coming back online at least once a day. (could be an issue with Spectrum)
3. Whenever I ask a question to my account rep I get half an answer or no answer at all.

Is there one "best" brand out there that I should be looking at for commercial and residential use? Right now I have a church that is looking to upgrade their network and I need multiple access points and a good wifi router. I'm just wondering if it's impossible to get one brand to do it all? Ubiquity was one that was recommended to me but

1. They don't have modems
2. They have AP's and switches. Nothing that is a wireless router type for home configurations.

Thoughts?
FredClaus
Forum Moderator

Re: Networking

Postby Nick » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:46 pm

True, Ubiquiti doesn't have home-level gear, but I use it in my home ;) The USG is a gateway that does routing so you would use that with the switches/APs, but you need a controller (a Windows/Linux PC or their cloud key). It may be a different model but I would look into their mesh gear now for the church scenario. Proctor has had a lot of trouble with their cloud key to be honest. Myself I've run both their Windows and Linux controller software at different points in time with no trouble; currently using the Linux versions on a VM which to be honest only needs to be running for initial setup and re-provisioning the access points with new settings..

For home level stuff I've always used the top models from Netgear, granted it's been a few years since I was in the game doing this for a living, it's what I put at my mom's house. Their combo wireless/modem is pretty solid I've used a few of them. I've been happy with everything but range, and this is to be expected IMHO (they will all boast a greater range than realistic if you ask me.) Keep in mind that range is significantly influenced by composition of walls and other obstructions. Also, to reiterate I've only used their top end equipment, like things with a code name like "Nighthawk" or whatever it was, I've never used the cheaper stuff which I imagine is subject to "you get what you pay for" like anything else.
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby FredClaus » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:10 pm

Thanks. I have heard a few people mention Netgear but I was a little leary because of the bad name they have around here. Of course, everyone I know has used the cheap stuff. Nighthawk is a good one from what i see. Everyone is rating it pretty well. I wonder what the Ubiquity mesh system looks like. I've never seen it. I will have to call my supplier and see what they have.

Thanks.
FredClaus
Forum Moderator

Postby Nick » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:21 am

good luck on ubiquiti though, since they are a very small mfgr of inexpensive enterprise level equipment, it can be tough to get what you need sometimes since supply is < demand for their stuff. Again, it's worth it IMHO but don't forget the whole bit about the controller software install on a PC being a requirement, or their cloud key takes the place of this (which Proctor had a very difficult time with; I think he ended up returning it and doing a controller PC I will have to ask him how that worked out.) They may even have a different requirement for their mesh products I haven't looked into them, but it's worth a look with your supplier maybe they can give you a firm answer on everything needed.

Nick
Site Admin

Postby Nick » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:35 pm

Just remembered about Google Wifi which I believe is a mesh solution, and they compare to Ubiquiti's AmpliFi here: https://www.mbreviews.com/google-wifi-vs-amplifi-hd/ might be worth a look into that and/or a more current review of either. Note I believe Ubiquiti's AmpliFi as mentioned in the article doesn't need a Cloud Key or software server; found that on Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L9O08PW not too pricey compared to top end home user gear like Netgear's Nighthawk Pro or some of the other top end stuff. Of course none of these you will find with a built-in modem though.

Nick
Site Admin

Postby FredClaus » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:31 pm

Thanks Nick, I've been looking at Netgear a lot lately, and I think I like them. I will look at the Google Wifi sytem though. It's definately worth. I will post here what I found.
FredClaus
Forum Moderator

Postby Robert_Leo1 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:09 am

Genuine, Ubiquiti doesn't have home-level apparatus, however I use it in my home ;) The USG is an entryway that does steering so you would utilize that with the switches/APs, yet you need a controller (a Windows/Linux PC or their cloud key). It might be an alternate model yet I would investigate their work gear now for the congregation situation. Delegate has had a great deal of issue with their cloud key to be straightforward. Myself I've run both their Windows and Linux controller programming at various focuses stuck in an unfortunate situation; as of now utilizing the Linux forms on a VM which to be straightforward just should keep running for beginning setup and re-provisioning the passages with new settings..
Robert_Leo1

Postby MARKRONSON » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:50 am

hey,
thanks guys for the suggestions.. i was also looking for the same because TPlink seriously sucks.
best regards!!
MARKRONSON

Postby adamdevine » Thu May 02, 2019 11:08 am

Thanks Nick to share your thoughts. It really helps me a lot.
adamdevine

Postby samjonas » Thu May 09, 2019 6:11 am

This thread helped me a lot... thank you
samjonas

Next

Return to General Chat