IRC on the show

Hardware, Software, Managed Services, Remote Support, Industry News, your tech shop setups, new user introductions, and whatever else.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. Don't be a prick.

IRC on the show

Postby FredClaus » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:14 pm

Why does Beavis have access to the IRC but everyone else can't get in? I'm watching the show today and I can't gain access to the IRC chat link on the website.
FredClaus
Forum Moderator

Re: IRC on the show

Postby Nick » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:44 pm

I see you got in :) maybe it was something with our website; Beavis more than likely uses a stand-alone IRC client like we do, so maybe he didn't have an issue...
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby FredClaus » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:13 pm

that's interesting. I wonder how I get a stand alone IRC? maybe I will try that next time.
FredClaus
Forum Moderator

Postby Nick » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:07 pm

there's a bunch out there, I like Hexchat myself. it can be a little confusing to setup if you aren't used to IRC but we can help out with that if you need

Nick
Site Admin

Postby FredClaus » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:38 pm

I see what you mean by being a bit confusing. IRC.D7xtech.com/FoolishTechShow doesn't connect. It tells me "Cannot assign that address". Researching waht I did wrong now.
FredClaus
Forum Moderator

Postby Nick » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:06 pm

two things, for one you want to CONNECT to "irc.d7xtech.com/6667" and once you are connected, you want to JOIN CHANNEL to "#d7xTechShow" (not FoolishTechShow) and I also just created a "#d7xSupport" channel. So it's two separate steps.

In Hexchat "Network List" window, what you want to do is add a network called "d7xTech" (or whatever, the network name isn't important) and you can click the FAVOR button to add that as a favorite (at this point if you checked "Show favorites only" at the bottom you'd only see d7xTech in the Networks list.

With d7xTech highlighted in the Networks list, click the EDIT button, and in the new window you have a box at the top with tabs below it, then settings, etc.

At the top box you will be on the "Servers" tab first. Put in "irc.d7xtech.com/6667"
Next below the box, click the "Autojoin channels" tab. Put in "#d7xTechShow" on the first line and hit Enter, then on a second line you can put in "#d7xSupport"
The rest of the settings don't really matter, you can put in your username choices here but if not it uses the username choices you put in the Network List window. When you're done just close this window using Close button at bottom.

Then you are back on the Network List window and you should be able to click Connect now. you will have two different channels you are joining and they will have different window areas for chat. hope that was clear enough.

Welcome to IRC, the original internet chat!

Nick
Site Admin

Postby FredClaus » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:13 pm

Worked perfectly. I got it all set up. Now to wait until the next show to see how it works.
FredClaus
Forum Moderator

Return to General Chat