replacing my data drives -- performance vs. reliability?

Hardware, Software, Managed Services, Remote Support, Industry News, your tech shop setups, new user introductions, and whatever else.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. Don't be a prick.

replacing my data drives -- performance vs. reliability?

Postby Nick » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:05 pm

I have a software mirror with two 6TB WD Black drives, installed about 2.5-3 years ago and one is tripping SMART errors. I have considered replacing both drives.

Side note: unrelated, but to explain the software mirror, this is accomplished through Windows 10. Yes I have the ability of hardware mirroring but if I use a hardware mirror on that controller, it means I can't use AHCI I have to switch to RAID, and then I lose RAPID mode on my primary OS drive (a 1TB SSD) and RAPID mode = good, so yes I'm stuck with software mirroring. Speed isn't an issue, so the only drawback of this setup is if Windows crashes the mirror has to be error checked on next boot which on 6TB takes the better part of a work day, while any accessing of data on that drive is painfully slow (luckily Windows 10 hasn't crashed on me in a year or two.)

For my replacement drives I was looking at two options: Update: changed my options; I've heard great things about Toshiba desktop drives lately for reliability. (also cheaper!)

1. Toshiba 6TB x300 "performance" with 128MB cache.

2. Toshiba 6TB s300 "surveillance" with 256MB cache. gotta wait until march 4th for that to be released.

Wondering what the differences are in drives other than the cache; can't seem to find transfer speeds for the "performance" model, and "surveillance" model is more reliable (MTBF 1m vs. 600k hrs)... I also run some large Virtual Machines off of this volume and I wonder if the extra cache and 241MB/s (vs. ??) transfer speed specs for a "surveillance" model would be of noticeable benefit in the performance area vs. the "performance" model. indeed performance and reliability both might be in the "surveillance" drive..

Thoughts?

Update2: Nm on the Virtual Machines, I'm going to move them to a new Samsung EVO SSD that are on sale (can't do an m2 on my board) and just keep it backed up to the data volume. maybe then this answers the question and I should go with reliability for the data volume, but no stupid me can't wait a few weeks and I ordered the x300 models anyway. yeah nevermind...
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Re: replacing my data drives -- performance vs. reliability?

Postby FredClaus » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:14 pm

I know you said NM, but I wonder myself. Do you have model numbers or links to where I can see these drives?
FredClaus
Forum Moderator

Postby Nick » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:45 pm

basically I was looking at the 6TB models for these:

https://www.toshiba-storage.com/product ... ives-x300/

vs

https://www.toshiba-storage.com/products/s300/

kinda glad I just got the x300 model instead, when I look on amazon.com now for the s300 model it previously said available march 4th, now it says 15th. I don't like waiting lol

Nick
Site Admin

Postby FredClaus » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:28 pm

S300 is more for survalance work.

3.5" SATA Hard Drive
7200 / 5400 rpm
256 / 128 MB buffer
24/7 operation
Supports up to 64 video cameras
High reliability and enhanced real-time performance
Toshiba Dynamic Cache Technology
Toshiba Stable Platter Technology

X300 is a Performance drive, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of extras with it like the S has.

3.5" SATA Hard Drive
7200 rpm
128/256 MB buffer
Toshiba Dynamic Cache Technology
Toshiba Stable Platter Technology
FredClaus
Forum Moderator

Postby Nick » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:52 am

Well, the reason I kinda regret not getting the S300 is this performance and reliability both:

S300 (6TB)
256MB Cache
241MB/s transfer speed
1Million hrs MTBF

X300 (6TB)
128MB Cache
??? transfer speed (I found a benchmark stating 160MB/s something average, with roughly 100-200MB/s min/max)
600k hrs MTBF

So it appears that the S300 is more of a performance drive to me, plus more reliable with the MTBF. You want that performance with video applications and... heck I do not only large VMs but also video editing on this data volume regularly. Well I just couldn't wait with one drive failing I justify my lack of patience in waiting on the S300 release. I could kick myself since it was only $17 more for each S300.

Well in the end I'll be happy if I get more life outta these Toshiba drives than I did the WD Blacks that make up the my data volume.

Nick
Site Admin

Return to General Chat