SSD

Hardware, Software, Managed Services, Remote Support, Industry News, your tech shop setups, new user introductions, and whatever else.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. Don't be a prick.

SSD

Postby FredClaus » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:07 pm

Ok,

I need some input. My son is building a gaming computer and he's doing his research but his friends who have done this before are confusing him. He's got a 1TB HDD, and a 256 SSD. He wants the SSD for his Windows 10, and everything else he wants to set up to store on the HDD. Is 256 enough for the SSD? Have any of you ever built this sort of rig before? Can he, and should he store only the OS on his SSD and everything else on the HDD?

His friends are telling him that he should store the picture and game files on the SSD as well, but that's not what he wants to do. Thoughts?
FredClaus
Forum Moderator

Re: SSD

Postby Nick » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:17 am

256GB is plenty for an OS drive if everything else is stored on the data drive. Remember you want to keep an SSD half full for optimal life span and over-provision it if possible. This doesn't leave much room for a lot of games but that's probably where you want games if given a choice, so I'd want a larger SSD for storing games if that were the case, but with 256GB I don't think I would do it. There is NO reason I can think of to store pictures or other data on the SSD, and even if I did, I'd back it up to the data drive anyway.
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Re: SSD

Postby eaglesha » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:32 am

I think its good to store pictures and all those in SSD it self.
eaglesha

Return to General Chat