Programmers question

Hardware, Software, Managed Services, Remote Support, Industry News, your tech shop setups, new user introductions, and whatever else.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. Don't be a prick.

Programmers question

Postby FredClaus » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:22 pm

This has nothing to do with D7x, but I wanted to ask it anyway. I have been doing MSP work for a few years now, and found it's time to move to a different RMM program. The new program allows me to "Enroll" a device. I click on a link, and it starts downloading a file. The file then runs, asks for UAC permission, and installs the RMM communication tool. What I'd like to do is use my current RMM to download and install the communication tool for the new RMM silently in the background.

I've tried using there "Install a file from URL" option but it keeps failing. is there a way to write a program that will allow me to do this? I don't know the first thing about programming but I was hoping I could find something online I could piece together and make it work. I'd hate to have to go to each client and manually install the file.

Thoughts?
FredClaus
Forum Moderator

Re: Programmers question

Postby Nick » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:23 am

it would be trivial, but I don't see how it makes anything different for you. you still need to get the programmed .exe that installs the new RMM .exe on the system and run it. why not just put the new RMM .exe on the system and run it in the first place?

with either, unless the original RMM is running as ADMIN or SYSTEM already, and I would think so but you never know, but if not then it sounds like there will be a UAC prompt to click and there is no real way to program around that. could that be where your "install a file from url" is failing?
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby FredClaus » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:37 pm

I bet that is where it's failing, but I can't even seem to get it to download. I don't have a lot of clients that it makes too much sense to spend a lot of time on it, as it seems like the amount of time I save by getting the script written, would be eaten up by the task of getting the script written and tested. I should just take some time to remote into the computers and just do it.
FredClaus
Forum Moderator

Postby Nick » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:42 pm

I mean, you could run fGet.exe (from our website) to download the installer on the remote system, then run a second command to install it... https://www.d7xtech.com/free-software/fget/

but I think you're right it's probably not worth it if you don't have too many clients to do it on.
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Return to General Chat