How do you keep your kids safe on the web?

Hardware, Software, Managed Services, Remote Support, Industry News, your tech shop setups, whatever else.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. Don't be a prick.

How do you keep your kids safe on the web?

Postby Marshall » Fri May 10, 2013 10:25 am

I recently had to work with a business that uses K9 http://www1.k9webprotection.com/
This software appears to be quite robust and powerful, because I was unable to do diddly squat!

So I hit their homepage up today to take a look at the product line and low and behold, it's free for home users and MAC's at home too for you MAC lovers!
I have not tested it yet, but it seems like a good deal to me.

Has anyone used this program before for home, or business?

(I have a competitor selling this software to businesses either directly, or indirectly by retaining the license keys and refusing to hand over the administrative access, which makes the business dependent on them for support, at over $100 per call. How would that make you feel? The K9 site appears to have TONS of documentation so that anyone could get it running on their business network.)
Help Me With My Computer Tech
IT Services & IT Consulting Services In Southern IL and St. Louis MO
Marshall

Re: How do you keep your kids safe on the web?

Postby Nick » Mon May 13, 2013 7:38 am

that competitor of yours is pretty shitty. similarly I have a friend, directory at our local Arts Council non-profit, that is having a local company redesign their website - despite my offer to do it for free. So I looked at the site with her the other day and there was so much shit wrong with it -- and it's also been months since they started. So I'm telling her about the marvels of wordpress, and the site is in wordpress, so I'm suggesting plugins and stuff... so I'm like, login. She does -- wouldn't you know, they gave her a limited account with just enough access to change typos. unbelievable.

Anyway, I've not personally setup K9 but heard tons about it being used quite successfully in business environments as well as home.
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby paj1234 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:29 pm

One of my customers managed OK with these "Net Rules":

I understand that my parents will check the sites I have visited.
Internet Access will be stopped if I break any of the following:
    I will never tell anyone I meet on the Internet my home address, my home number, my mobile number, or the name of my school
    I will never send my picture to anyone on the Internet
    I will never give passwords to anyone, even my best friend
    I will never arrange to meet anyone in person without first agreeing with my parents
    I am not allowed to use an Internet chatroom or MSN
    I will not respond to nasty or rude emails. I will report these to my parents
    I will only respond to emails from people I know
    I am always myself and do not pretend to be anything or anyone I am not on the Internet.

paj1234

Postby Marshall » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:04 pm

Take a look at <a href="http://www.internetsafety.com/index.php">Safe Eyes</a>. They have an affiliate program if the product is interesting to you, and you want to resell it to residential clients.
Marshall

Postby EagleTech » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:00 pm

OpenDNS can help filter. So can Untangle or a million other things. My favorite is putting the computer wherever the family gathers so everyone can see what is going on.

As far a service goes, we set things up in the customer/company name, not ours like some of our competitors. That being said, I don't always just hand over logins for everything if we are still supporting it. If requested by the customer or the person in charge then absolutely. If asked by an employee or relative we tell them to talk to the person in charge of the account.
EagleTech

Postby arachnox » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:58 am

How do you keep kids safe on the web?
Just simply watch them and don't let the Internet to grow your child.
arachnox

Postby rharvey » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:55 am

K9 works great, I have set it up for biz customers (business side is pay but affordable)
the home version is free, you can set it to monitor and not block any thing, or you can set it to block specific stuff.
they are working on and admin module so you can keep up with each computer with out having to go login and check the info at the computer.
thanks
Robert
rharvey

Postby Marshall » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:35 pm

EagleTech wrote:As far a service goes, we set things up in the customer/company name, not ours like some of our competitors. That being said, I don't always just hand over logins for everything if we are still supporting it. If requested by the customer or the person in charge then absolutely. If asked by an employee or relative we tell them to talk to the person in charge of the account.

I see no problem with retaining information to help keep your clients protected, and believe that within the industry this is a fairly common practice. However I do have a problem when a business doesn't have a process with their IT Provider to get the required information, without the need for a service call, or waiving additional billing over their head. That just pisses them off in the end, especially if there is no agreement/contract in place.
Marshall

Postby Marshall » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:42 pm

arachnox wrote:How do you keep kids safe on the web?
Just simply watch them and don't let the Internet to grow your child.

I suspect that you're not getting the point of this conversation. That sounds a lot like Trolling to me. Consider yourself warned.

Please provide constructive opinions, that will help our community. We are about sharing information, so that as a whole we can grow and improve. Your comment had no sharing, insights, or suggestions. Instead what I got out of it was that you implied you have the ability to watch your kids behavior 24/7/365.

This post was made to help people find ways through processes, or software, to offer better protection to their clients children at home. The secret lining of the topic is that an informed client is a happy one, and will probably return for more service in the future.
Marshall

Postby EagleTech » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:05 am

Marshall wrote:I see no problem with retaining information to help keep your clients protected, and believe that within the industry this is a fairly common practice. However I do have a problem when a business doesn't have a process with their IT Provider to get the required information, without the need for a service call, or waiving additional billing over their head. That just pisses them off in the end, especially if there is no agreement/contract in place.

Agreed. If you feel like you need to act like that I feel you aren't very secure in your ability to do your job. Treat them how you would want to be treated.
EagleTech

Return to General Stuff