Managed Antivirus

Yep, this is the 'absolutely everything else' forum - discuss whatever you wish here.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. Don't be a prick.

Managed Antivirus

Postby FredClaus » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:29 pm

My RMM offers "managed antivirus" through Bitdefender. I am seeing some tech companies such as Spiceworks and PCMag that give Webroot good reviews, and I'm seeing AV-Test.org giving Norton good reviews as of late. What do you think of these? What antivirus do you guys use or sell?
FredClaus
Forum Moderator

Re: Managed Antivirus

Postby Nick » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:39 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if Webroot is paying for those reviews or cooking the results. I remember back in the day when BestBuy and such started really pushing Webroot. ppl came in all the time and removing Webroot was the extent of our "repair" process for them, because it was literally the cause of system slowness and crashes and all sorts of ill behavior. it was complete shite and ruined more than it ever did which was nothing anyway. if any of us ever saw those wretched green boxes with a customer's system we already knew what the diagnosis was. these days I wouldn't know how well they perform vs. malware or how well it works on a system, because I am remembering 8-10 years ago when I say that.

well, I am aware they have/recently had some memory leak that CryptoPrevent was blamed in exacerbating the issue; one of their processes consumes gobs of memory and ultimately crashes (this is not unlike the product I remember from back in the day.)

either way on general principal I'd never recommend Webroot anything, and it's still my first/gut reaction to remove it on sight, though I would give it an honest evaluation if I absolutely had to for an adamant customer.

some techs out there would disagree with me... just my 2c. wish I had a positive suggestion to offer but I'm a good 8 years out of the loop. in fact I still think Windows Defender (in Win10) is as good as anything or good enough, though I know that doesn't help with <Win10 and it sure doesn't help with approaching it from a managed aspect where you want to keep track of these things and charge people for it...

heck, wish I wasn't the only one in the forums to respond! well you know what they say, wish in one hand, poop in the other...
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby FredClaus » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:44 pm

My gut feeling has always been to never use Webroot personally as well. I had a call from Datto RMM who was trying to get me to use it as my AV, then I read all these reviews and thought to myself "hmm did it get better?" but it appears everyone who's touched it feels the same as you. I guess they still suck and I'm not even going to give it another thought.
FredClaus
Forum Moderator

Postby FredClaus » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:17 pm

I saw a report from SE Labs but I'm not sure who they are. They did a test of 20 or so Antiviruses, and guess who was number 2? Windows Defender! They scored 98 out of 100. Who knew.
FredClaus
Forum Moderator

Return to General Chat