d7 spotting

Yep, this is the 'absolutely everything else' forum - discuss whatever you wish here.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. Don't be a prick.

d7 spotting

Postby und3rtak3r » Tue May 21, 2013 5:26 am

Up front...I do think those who purchased direct from Nick have the best deal..

I was looking around for alternatives for LogMeIn Pro, Teamviewer and others mentioned in these forums and spotted the following:

http://www.instanthousecall.com/ .. read through a bit ..bit boring then clicked here: http://www.instanthousecall.com/auto-pc-repair.html .. Your Mug is getting around Nick.. great to see..

I noted the Apple logo - in Beta... now, sure the ihc people may be developing for MacOS, but are you looking down that channel as well Nick?

There was also a Live OS integrated with d7 as well - lost track of that
The TechGuru4U
RTFM D7 here
RTFM D7II here
RTFM dSupportSuite Here

You may call me Glenn
und3rtak3r

Re: d7 spotting

Postby Nick » Tue May 21, 2013 7:05 am

lol reading your sig and wrestling!

Yep, integration with Instant Housecall (IHC) is something recently launched that we've been working on for a little while now with a bit of discretion. The entire point for me, is to gain more exposure for d7. That and also I'm using IHC myself, and I wanted to do some integration to make things a little more unique than you can get with the standard d7 experience -- like googling research initiated from d7 on the client PC opens the browser window on the tech's PC, instead of the client's PC; few other neat little things but that's my fav.

The caveats are that it is currently incompatible with existing d7 configs (though I need to work on an import process for people moving over,) and also config save/load is handled by IHC entirely, so dCloud is not necessary or compatible currently.

As for Macs, no that's an IHC thing only ;) Their remote support will work on the Mac -- but I think I can safely say that d7 never will...

I haven't heard of a live OS with d7 integrated, can you find that again? Referencing this might be a lot easier than coming up with a new guide to build a WinPE based tool with d7 already in it. (Personally, I still use any old WinPE boot disk, and just keep d7 on my flash drive plugged in, but I guess not everyone wants to operate that way ...) I'm also interested to see how they included d7, and if they properly copy it to the RAM drive or local OS drive to run, instead of trying to run it from the actual write-protected media (if disk is a CD/DVD)...

EDIT: and yeah, best deal is buying from me ;) IHC's 'Remote d7' will ONLY work inside an actual IHC remote session, and features are restricted to what can be done remotely. But it's nice to have options and the IHC version just makes for an easy one, even for those who already own d7.
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby und3rtak3r » Tue May 21, 2013 10:24 am

what you say about the research on the local PC sounds very nice.. saves a lot of ctl-c, ctl-v's :)

Mac's .. they never break down, never get viruses (NOT)

I used to build Bart PE disks years ago, but have only had partial success with the Winbuilder projects.. but haven't sat down for long enough to give it a decent go,, once I get my head back around it, build win7/8 and XP to boot from USB and all with D7 on the desktop..
The old pe-disk DVD I have at the moment is encountering driver issues on some newer MB's so I seriously need to build a new one..that works.. I love the idea of D7 on a USB-Live OS: updating will be easier (unless I overlook an issue)booting almost all current Desktops, Notebooks and All in Ones.
Remote work is seriously how well will be making our living... anything that makes that easier.. Site call outs are too costly (for the tech).. for me they are like a smoke break.. an excuse to get out of the office for an hour or so..
Biggest problem is positioning our business in the market place for what ever tech fad hits next month.. and being able to repair the tech, teach the user to use/secure, or recover the data when it dies..
The TechGuru4U
RTFM D7 here
RTFM D7II here
RTFM dSupportSuite Here

You may call me Glenn
und3rtak3r

Postby EagleTech » Tue May 21, 2013 2:12 pm

und3rtak3r wrote:I used to build Bart PE disks years ago, but have only had partial success with the Winbuilder projects.. but haven't sat down for long enough to give it a decent go,, once I get my head back around it, build win7/8 and XP to boot from USB and all with D7 on the desktop..
The old pe-disk DVD I have at the moment is encountering driver issues on some newer MB's so I seriously need to build a new one..that works.. I love the idea of D7 on a USB-Live OS: updating will be easier (unless I overlook an issue)booting almost all current Desktops, Notebooks and All in Ones.

Don't get too used to the current Winbuilder. Testing Alpha stage rewrite in Java right now...
EagleTech

Return to General Chat