Whats with the SPAM?

Yep, this is the 'absolutely everything else' forum - discuss whatever you wish here.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. Don't be a prick.

Whats with the SPAM?

Postby darkman738 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:43 am

This place is like 2 days old, wtf mate? Not directed at you Nick, totally not your fault but just doesn't make a lot of since people are posting like that. I don't recall that on the Google Groups, and I wasn't much of a visitor to the previous forums, but I don't recall it their either. Is it something to do with the hosting or forum product?
darkman738

Re: Whats with the SPAM?

Postby Nick » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:14 am

I'm not sure but it's about to drive me batty. I'm on it though. Looking at this post seems to indicate that the built-in captcha is compromised and has some suggestions which I'll be implementing today.
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby Nick » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:50 am

Sweet, I've already implemented the Q&A captcha and a custom profile field which should be a very effective combination. Just tested to make sure it worked. Lets see how sophisticated these bots are...

Nick
Site Admin

Postby darkman738 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:40 am

I knew you were on it! Here's hoping that did it. I got all excited thinking there were new posts and was left disappointed. /sigh.
darkman738

Postby Nick » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:35 pm

LOL yeah me too when I woke up this morning - then I saw the posts and got angry. I'm pretty confident with the new methods (I had a live person who shall remain nameless email me this morning after I implemented the changes when he couldn't figure out my antispam field on the registration screen haha. Admittedly it isn't worded the best.)

Nick
Site Admin

Postby stephenodell » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:06 pm

I would Be Glad to help around the forums when you get ready for help nick.
stephenodell

Postby Nick » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:41 am

ok now that last guy was a human. wtf are people doing that they have the time to waste doing this.

Nick
Site Admin

Postby darkman738 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:36 pm

foolishtech wrote:ok now that last guy was a human. wtf are people doing that they have the time to waste doing this.

I wish I had that much time!
darkman738

Postby williammack » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:37 am

Spam is flooding the Internet with many copies of the same message, in an attempt to force the message on people who would not otherwise choose to receive it. Most spam is commercial advertising, often for dubious products, get-rich-quick schemes, or quasi-legal services. Spam costs the sender very little to send -- most of the costs are paid for by the recipient or the carriers rather than by the sender.

There are two main types of spam, and they have different effects on Internet users. Cancellable Usenet spam is a single message sent to 20 or more Usenet newsgroups. (Through long experience, Usenet users have found that any message posted to so many newsgroups is often not relevant to most or all of them.) Usenet spam is aimed at "lurkers", people who read newsgroups but rarely or never post and give their address away. Usenet spam robs users of the utility of the newsgroups by overwhelming them with a barrage of advertising or other irrelevant posts. Furthermore, Usenet spam subverts the ability of system administrators and owners to manage the topics they accept on their systems.

crcomputerrepair.com
williammack

Postby Xander » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:35 am

Williammack, was that posted sardonically? In case none of us technicians actually -knew- what spam was or why it still exists?

Edit - never mind. Warning sent to not litter the forum with this stuff.
Xander

Next

Return to General Chat