Recommended cell phone?

Yep, this is the 'absolutely everything else' forum - discuss whatever you wish here.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. Don't be a prick.

Recommended cell phone?

Postby Nick » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:51 pm

For a long time I've had a cell phone provided by work and it may be time to get my own personal cell.... The last time I had a cell, it was a dumb phone. In fact, my current cell isn't that smart - it's a fairly old HTC (Desire, I think) with Android 2.1 or 2.2........

I do NOT want a contract with anyone, and would rather pay for the phone in it's entirety than deal with ridiculous contracts. In fact, I would prefer going with something I can use on a pre-paid provider (Page Plus Cellular which should work with any Verizon branded phone) since I don't use cell phones very much, however that isn't necessarily a show stopper and I guess I would pay monthly if I had to, for the right phone. I recently picked up one of those no-lock $80 Firefox OS phones new on eBay but had to resell it because it only works on AT&T or T-Mobile and I would prefer to stick with Verizon or US Cellular networks.

I DO want a modern android phone. That's ALL I know...

Does anyone have any tips, buying advice, or favorite phones that I can reasonably afford without a contract, yet actually be happy with?

My usage is as follows: I mostly receive voice calls, sometimes make them. I like that bluetooth integration since my truck has it built-in to the audio system. I use GPS navigation on occasion. I text once in a blue moon - hate it really. I will do email from the phone on occasion so I guess the usage is the same, but I don't want one with a physical querty, would rather have it all touch screen. I never use it for anything beyond that (e.g. sending pictures, taking pictures, none of that, no social networking or tapatalk, no pointless apps, etc. except I like that one that identifies songs...) Hmm, what else... I think that's it.

Go easy on me! I already feel like a non-savvy end-user walking into a repair shop asking what kind of computer I need to send email... :oops:
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Re: Recommended cell phone?

Postby wmmiller » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:58 pm

This isn’t going to help you much, but, the taking pictures thing. I didn’t think I would use mine for taking picture, but quickly discovered that when taking something apart or to get a picture of the model tag and the like is really handy. I use my camera all the time. One more thing. I’m not sure how old your kids are, but I also discovered that my kids get back to me much faster if I shoot them a text rather then call them. Texting is handy if you just have something quick to say that doesn’t require a huge conversation. Other than those things, I’m like you in the cell phone area. Just in case you’re wondering at this point. I’m still using an old HTC EVO 4G.
Bill
"Resist We Much"
wmmiller

Postby Nick » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:14 pm

haha I'm with you on the thought process behind the texting, just not the art of actually doing it. My son is almost 5 so that isn't a concern. But point being I NEVER have a huge conversation when I'm on the phone by choice. I would say my average talk time per cell phone call is like 10 seconds haha. (which is exactly why I prefer pre-paid as opposed to a monthly plan.) IMHO the only thing a cell phone call is for are those quick coversations like "where are you" and "meet me here @ time" and that's it.

So really I'm not much of a talker or a txter. In fact I don't even carry my existing cell with me much... Which is starting to make me wonder again why I want a phone. Oh yeah, occasional GPS nav and potential emergency situations. Being out of town perhaps...

Nick
Site Admin

Postby randy68158 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:45 am

Yes, nowadays,with the development of the mobile phone technology, have a new technology disable mobile phones in cars have been widely used in some places.
randy68158

Postby ajgyomber » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:38 am

I wouldn't be so adverse to a contract if the cellphone subsidy is high. It doesn't make sense to avoid the contract if they aren't discounting the monthly because you don't take one of their phones at a discount. If you are going with new service -- check out Amazon.com. Just check out the early termination fees and see what makes sense. It may make sense to get a contract and in six months be able to cancel with an early termination fee and you still could be ahead. I would suggest Verizon as they have a really strong network. Since you aren't a power user, something like the Samsung Galaxy S3 can be had for free. That being said, the S4 has been recently release and the Nexus 5 is soon to be I believe. The Moto X has good reviews as well.

--AJ

P.S. - I hate texting. I use my cellphone for calls, RMM alerts, ConnectWise, Sonos controller, Kindle reading in pinch, NewsBlur and home automation. My next purchase in January is probably going to be the Galaxy Note 3.
ajgyomber

Postby Slverwolf » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:09 am

I just got the HTC One and absolutely love it. Just dont get the verizon one as it has a quarter of the features missing from every other carrier and is totally locked down. Front facing speakers are a godsend and everything about the phone is superior to my Iphone5, only downside is not subsidized you're looking at $6-800 new or $4-500 on ebay. My only other recommendation is the Nexus 5 that comes out on the 5th.
Slverwolf

Postby Xander » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:20 am

My iphone committed hari-kari last week (2 hour bootups) so I switched over (just for a change) to an Android. Picked up a Samsung Galaxy Note 2. I had to pay for early upgrade on my contract but $0 extra for the phone itself. IT'S HUGE! 6" screen is proving to be really nice for a lot of things. I rooted it because I roll like that :)
Xander

Postby EagleTech » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:32 pm

Did you upgrade yet, Nick?

I know you are wanting to stay with certain carriers, but how well does Sprint work in your area? If it works well I would recommend Ting. You buy the device outright or bring your own. We use them for our tech phones & have saved a ton compared to what we used to spend. (man, I sound like a commercial!)

If anyone does want to use them here is our referral link - https://zh55n91qe53.ting.com/
You get a discount & we get some credit.

Thanks!
EagleTech

Postby Nick » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:50 pm

nope, still haven't bought into something yet. Kinda quit looking for a bit but will need to do something soon, wife is pressing me for a new phone and service now too...

sprint is horrible here. I do want to stick with verizon for quality issues at least in my area.

Nick
Site Admin

Postby Nick » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:47 pm

just went with the samsung galaxy s4 4g for myself and the wife, because I couldn't get a nexus 5 to work on verizon as I read... hope it was a good decision!

Nick
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Chat