what....the.....f...reeze?

Everything related to Windows issues that isn't covered under Malware Removal.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. Don't be a prick.

what....the.....f...reeze?

Postby xide » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:48 am

Computer: HP ENVY 20 d013w Touchsmart
CPU: Intel i3
RAM: 8GB

I had a client withe the famous "ICE" aka FBI virus. He wanted a reformat...simple enough. I reformatted, everything was fine so I began getting the updates...everything locks up after about 2min.. reboot, same thing. tried this about 50 more times and it won't run for more than 5min. without locking up. So I reformat again....same thing.

ok f this....I erase the entire drive and do a fresh install with my oem disc this time.....same thing again! I reboot 50 more times and it will still freeze up in less than 5min. Except now it will sometimes (1 out of 3 i'd say) freeze before Windows loads. Task manager shows nothing that is taking up resources over 20% with the highest one being microsoft antimalware win8 comes with, hard drive and memory diagnostics check out good.

So I decide I will let it sit unplugged so it can think about what it's done. I connect it back with ONLY a keyboard this time and nothing else after letting it sit for 15-30min.
awesome...now only the HP post screen it stays on. I press f10(setup) it shows the screen with text saying loading setup but nothing ever happens, same goes when I try f9(boot options) or any of the other functions...the normal screen comes up right before it loads but it just stops there. Now this did happen a couple of times before during the same time the windows lock ups were happening, but now it's everytime no matter what.

All bios options are set as default (from when I was able to get in there before)

I left it with the cmos battery out when I left today, maybe that will work....anyone have thoughts, ideas or experience with this?

I saw on a HP forum about a usb key to rollback/update a BIOS even if you don't have acess to a boot menu (win key + B) i think was the hot key commands. But I can't find this tool anywhere, it's called something like UEFI softpaq usb key, but I can't find it, and yes I checked the driver page first.

I will be extremely grateful if anyone can help me find the solution. I will post a reply if I find a solution in the meantime, especially if this CMOS idea works (which I doubt).

Thank you kindly.

Cheers!
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Re: what....the.....f...reeze?

Postby Xander » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:36 pm

No mention of checking for bad caps
Xander

Postby xide » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:34 pm

Sorry. There are no bad caps, also I disconnected the HDD with same results
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Postby bored369 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:18 pm

I would have leaned towards overheating issues.

Bios thing sounds like it maybe a possibility though, here's what I was able to find on that bios restore stuff:
-How to do it=
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833
The external storage creator that is mentioned in that document is supposed to be a part of this tool:
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ads/clientmana ... gement_sdm
Supposedly there is an option to create a USB key inside of that download manager, but I didn't look that far into it.

One person mentioned you could just rename the bios file you downloaded and throw it on a flash but the other guy couldn't get to the screen to actually update it. Not sure about that but here's that one:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-L ... -p/2738379
Chief Operating Officer, dSupportOnline official support of Foolish IT
& long time tech friend of Nick & avid Foolish IT product user since before Foolish IT was even created!

bored369
d7xTech Staff

Return to My Windows Are Broken!