dSS + PCRT = 30 Day Trials?

Support for dSupportSuite White-Label Automated Maintenance app.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. When posting for help, include dSupportSuite version, OS details, and steps to reproduce the issue.
3. Start a new topic for a new problem, don't just post on existing topics that are NOT your EXACT problem.
4. SEARCH THE FORUMS BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC.

dSS + PCRT = 30 Day Trials?

Postby Mitch » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:41 pm

I have an idea for dSS I would like to share.

I want offer my renamed dSS package as a 30 day trial (via my website) and logging the "sales" in PCRT as 30 day trials.

1. upon the configuration of the custom installer, I just set up a custom URL in the client restriction to go to a "Your 30 Trial Period has Expired, blah blah blah"
2. Go into PCRT and set up the client information
3. Create a sticky note (or sticky calendar) date of install and end date
4. Set up 2 Custom Service Reminders: 1 to go out 3-7 days before the end of the trial and the 2nd one the day the trial expires (or you could even be nice and send it out the day after)
5. go into your dCloud Console and set the necessary restrictions to disable the software.
Done

Before I roll this out, are there any flaws in this thinking?
Mitch

Re: dSS + PCRT = 30 Day Trials?

Postby Xander » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:55 pm

This is a fantastic idea.

It would be one step better if, since dSS supports variables in a URL, if it could direct them directly to a Sign Up Now page with a Paypal link but that would be outside of PCRT (and, if you got that working, I'd like a How To published :) )

In your setup, would you be assigning a custom installer for each customer? Or setting up generically and, if they sign up, do a quick remote to install a 'Full' version? Hmmm, you'd have to do a custom one for each, otherwise turning it off in the config would affect them all.

I'm going to go back to my suggestion a month or so ago about having subscription dates in the installer. If you could install a generic 30-day version and, IF they signed up, you could reconfigure to a Full 1-year (or whatever) version.....
Xander

Postby Mitch » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:17 pm

Xander, trust me if I could set up a Sign Up page to link with PayPal outside of PCRT, I would gladly post it.

I think I would be doing a Custom Install for each client. I figured I might as well.

Having subscription dates in the Installer would be a nice touch!
Mitch

Postby Marshall » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:39 pm

I provide a "Free" version of dSS to all of my clients, that periodically promotes plan's, software, etc..whatever I want to set the URL link's to.
The free version is very limited but provides me with ton's of good information, and the ability to market my business further...Can't really be free marketing.
I never have a need to uninstall this id, because well...I don't really offer a whole lot with it, and it doesn't cost me a penny to let someone have it for free. In the end it only increases my chances of a returning customer.

I track all paid for plans so that I know when they need to be shut off, terminated, etc. This is a big bread n butter winner for dSS because anytime someone goes outside the boundaries of the plan's time, you can remind them via a URL. I would advise against using any scare tactic's, because it's kind of un-ethical in my opinion. Just be informative, and people will always find more reasons to use your services, rather than leave them.

Ultimately, if you want to bill on a per PC license, you will need to create a per PC Client ID, and or track each Client ID's $ of licenses, and what computer's they are assigned to. I really don't recommend ever leaving your software available for download online, because any half-wit can spend enough time to brute force crack your password installer. Always CYA, by requiring customer's to agree to a contract of some kind setting their limitations of use, ownership, etc., before you even sell the software to them. Stick to these basic's, and you'll go a lot farther, because when you catch someone using your stuff illegally, you will have the right to go after them.

Good Luck!
Help Me With My Computer Tech
IT Services & IT Consulting Services In Southern IL and St. Louis MO
Marshall

Postby und3rtak3r » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:51 pm

PCRT? I assume you are not referring to Pancreatic Cancer Research Team? or is it this one - http://www.pcrepairtracker.com/ .. I may have other questions so I restart this in the Business section
The TechGuru4U
RTFM D7 here
RTFM D7II here
RTFM dSupportSuite Here

You may call me Glenn
und3rtak3r

Return to dSupportSuite Support