Feature Request [Custom FTP/Links Menu Items]

These forums are retired and read-only.
Forum rules
These forums are retired and read-only.
d7II is no longer supported. Please update to d7x! (This is included in your d7II subscription!)

Feature Request [Custom FTP/Links Menu Items]

Postby tgaume » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:19 pm

In the FTP client, can you add a menu item that when you highlight a file you can add that link under the FTP menu?

Example: Often I run out of remote session licenses and so sometimes there's a need to grab another solution (often TeamViewerQS_en.exe) so I can keep an eye on a machine while it's scanning or doing other things. It would be nice if I could just fire up the FTP client once, get to the file, highlight it, then click "Save FTP URL" under the FTP menu item with the label TeamViewerQS_en.exe. Once I click on that the configured browser could take over with the option to save or run.
tgaume

Re: Feature Request

Postby Xander » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:16 pm

You're looking for an easier way to use the non-commercial version of Teamviewer? If you're busy enough to "run out of licenses", why don't you pay for more licenses?
Xander

Postby tgaume » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:31 am

I pay for 10 concurrent sessions, sometimes I use them all at once and need to grab a util to just see a remote screen. Maybe this was a poor example. I could also use it for VPN clients, and a quick VNC server. I could also use the requested functionality to for software updates (have a client with 5 pharmacys that have software updates almost weekly that have to be done manually, not just pushed to the clients).

By the way, not that it's any of your business, but I do own a commercial license for TeamViewer but it lacks the encryption + port forwarding features I need for some of the work that I do (white hat). Additionally it's an absolute resource hog, even when it's not in a session.

Do you always come off so offensive and jump to such conclusions, or did I just catch you on a bad day?
tgaume

Postby Nick » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:41 am

teamviewer, licensing, and usage aside...

would it work for you to use a custom app for this scenario? You know you can configure custom apps to download from your pre-configured FTP server right? In the custom apps configuration for the download URL just use your FTP directory path to the file (including the filename) and check the box that states it is an FTP path. Let me know if you have any difficulties should you go this route.

if that is good, then I guess the real option you are after is just a 'custom apps' section for the FTP menu... yes?
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby tgaume » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:21 am

Yes, I've done it as a custom app before, was just an idea that popped in to my head as I was running through everything last night as a "nice to have".
tgaume

Postby bored369 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:37 am

A good option for monitoring would be an UltraVNC SingleClick customized for your setup. http://bit.ly/MwCOGP

You can have it as a customized app like Nick suggested and just start it when you need to free up your RC licenses.

I used this at a job for a few years as the primary remote support option; VNC as always is a little finicky in situations. But you can setup the SC to point to a static ip or domain (if need to use dyn) with port 443 (bypasses most firewalls). It runs really well over all kinds of internet connections and really easy to create, setup and start when needed.

If you have any questions about it; let me know I can provide some more details on an optimal setup and configuration for it.
Chief Operating Officer, dSupportOnline official support of Foolish IT
& long time tech friend of Nick & avid Foolish IT product user since before Foolish IT was even created!

bored369
d7xTech Staff

Postby bored369 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:53 am

Nick are you still considering adding the custom apps to the FTP menu? honestly I think if you updated the Links menu to allow FTP settings as well that would probably cover it, no?

I do like the idea and can see the use of having a quick menu item to update a specific item for certain types of clients and just being able to select that from the menu 'Links' when your done cleaning or working with d7II on the system would be a nice feature. It doesn't really fit into any of the other d7II tab sections to me (maybe maintenance but not so much)

The "highlighted file and click to add to deal" might be a bit much but the Links menu looks like it would work really well for that just need some options to be able to setup the FTP side of things (so if updates have to come from a third party sign in ftp site user/pass can all be pre-configured and ready for the x+ systems you need to run it on after you run d7II).
Chief Operating Officer, dSupportOnline official support of Foolish IT
& long time tech friend of Nick & avid Foolish IT product user since before Foolish IT was even created!

bored369
d7xTech Staff

Re: Feature Request [Custom FTP/Links Menu Items]

Postby fairyanna » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:10 am

Bless you. :D
Regards.
we are the pioneers in providing 199-01 - latest dumps dumps and 117-201 - pass4sure - braindumps.com tutorials with ndm pass guarantee.
fairyanna

Return to d7II Feature Suggestions