D7II Suggestions (small but effectively missing!)

These forums are retired and read-only.
Forum rules
These forums are retired and read-only.
d7II is no longer supported. Please update to d7x! (This is included in your d7II subscription!)

D7II Suggestions (small but effectively missing!)

Postby Psychlone » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:26 pm

I run MBAM on every malware/virus infected machine, and I also leave it behind for the customer to be able to run if they wish... most don't, but at least I've done my job and look good for having left them one of "my utilities".
What I don't like is that I'm asked if I want to uninstall MBAM on reboot, and there's a "don't ask again" checkbox for this -- but there's no option to "Leave MBAM installed for future use" with a corresponding checkbox to never ask me again. D7II doesn't ask us this for ANY other malware/antivirus software (and I know it's because most everything else is either commandline or portable), but we should at least have D7II give us the choice of KEEPING MBAM installed... I believe this would be really handy for those techs that leave a copy of MBAM behind for their customers.
(again, most won't even run it at all, but it makes us as techs look good that we're giving them the option to be able to run it if they choose to do so)

The other thing I'm curious about is the missing SCRIPTS section in D7II v3+ config.
Before, we could call a script directly at Session End, but now that option isn't available. I have a couple scripts that I'd like to call at session end but now the only way is to call %scriptdir%\runmybatch.bat from within a custom app rather than having a box that has all of my scripts in it already and being able to call them from a [ ] SCRIPTS section in the config > custom apps > ALL CUSTOM APPS & d7II FUNCTIONS (upper left) where it should be.
I know I can't be the only tech that has their own batch commands or vb scripts that they're calling at different points for different functions, and it would be nice to be able to call my custom scripts from somewhere other than as a custom app.

Thanks for reading, and I hope that these couple small suggestions are met well by the community as I believe they're both functional additions but left out of a great program.
Light in the absence of eyes illuminates nothing.
Psychlone

Re: D7II Suggestions (small but effectively missing!)

Postby Xander » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:36 pm

+1 on MBAM.

Startup scripts can be set up as configs and then added in the Custom App section:
Xander

Postby laplandz » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:53 pm

+1 for MBAM, uninstalling should be a config option in my opinion.

Sent from Tapatalk
.. ...
I can walk on water, but I can’t perform miracles.
laplandz

Postby Psychlone » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:25 pm

Xander wrote:+1 on MBAM.

Startup scripts can be set up as configs and then added in the Custom App section:

Thanks for the +'s guys.
Xander, curious, but are you referring to calling a script the way I mentioned in the first post via %scriptdir%\runmybatch.bat style as a custom app?
The reason I made that part of the OP is because I feel like the scripts folder was actually neglected from the new iteration of D7II - I thought it would be much easier to simply have a Scripts section in the "All Custom Apps & d7II Functions" section at the top left where we could call any script from that location to any menu, regardless of where we're calling it from.
Say I wanted to call a custom made script from the Malware 2 section, as it is, I would first need to create a script and place it in the script folder, then in config, create a custom app using %scriptdir%\nameofscript.cmd and point it to nameofscript.cmd and then from the Malware 2 tab I have nowhere to call that function unless I've saved that custom app in the 3rd Party Tools directory.

It would make far more sense (IMO) to have a Scripts radio button that polls the Scripts folder, and have that radio button accessible just like any other section radio button in the "All Custom Apps & d7II Functions" area in the upper left, and have that Scripts radio button populate the box below with the choices of scripts that I've placed in the Scripts folder. In this way, a tech could call a custom script from anywhere within D7II, regardless of what tab he wanted it in. Makes more sense and follows Nick's new "fully-customizable" format in v3.

missing.JPG
missing.JPG (122.05 KiB) Viewed 4669 times

Unless I'm waaay off in what you were trying to point out, using %scriptdir% as a pointer in a custom app that I can't call from everywhere doesn't work for me.
(please clarify if I'm off base here, not entirely sure I was descriptive enough in my OP, but I think I nailed what I was trying to say here)
Psychlone

Postby EagleTech » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:09 pm

+1 MBAM
EagleTech

Postby Xander » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:48 pm

Actually, I'm not even actively using v3 yet as I haven't had time yet to reconfigure it completely from scratch. I was shooting from the hip as, at a quick glance, I couldn't see anywhere to implement scripts into the process.
Xander

Postby Psychlone » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:42 pm

Xander wrote:Actually, I'm not even actively using v3 yet as I haven't had time yet to reconfigure it completely from scratch. I was shooting from the hip as, at a quick glance, I couldn't see anywhere to implement scripts into the process.

Understood - I jumped into v3 finally just the other day because I too didn't have the time to reconfigure from scratch - that was a bloody mess that I wish could have been avoided, but that being said, now that I"m fully v3 compliant, I really need to be able to call a script from different locations and now you see what I was talking about.

To the best of my knowledge, setting up a custom app with the %scriptdir% paramater is the only way, and even then, you'd have to have each script you use saved as a custom app to call it. Doesn't make any sense... D7II v3 is more configurable and more customizable, but leaves out an extremely important function.
Psychlone

Postby Nick » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:17 am

Psychlone wrote:I run MBAM on every malware/virus infected machine, and I also leave it behind for the customer to be able to run if they wish... most don't, but at least I've done my job and look good for having left them one of "my utilities".
What I don't like is that I'm asked if I want to uninstall MBAM on reboot, and there's a "don't ask again" checkbox for this -- but there's no option to "Leave MBAM installed for future use" with a corresponding checkbox to never ask me again. D7II doesn't ask us this for ANY other malware/antivirus software (and I know it's because most everything else is either commandline or portable), but we should at least have D7II give us the choice of KEEPING MBAM installed... I believe this would be really handy for those techs that leave a copy of MBAM behind for their customers.
(again, most won't even run it at all, but it makes us as techs look good that we're giving them the option to be able to run it if they choose to do so)

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1989#p9663

Psychlone wrote:The other thing I'm curious about is the missing SCRIPTS section in D7II v3+ config.
Before, we could call a script directly at Session End, but now that option isn't available.

I really have no earthly idea what you are talking about...

Psychlone wrote:I have a couple scripts that I'd like to call at session end but now the only way is to call %scriptdir%\runmybatch.bat from within a custom app rather than having a box that has all of my scripts in it already and being able to call them from a [ ] SCRIPTS section in the config > custom apps > ALL CUSTOM APPS & d7II FUNCTIONS (upper left) where it should be.

Not sure how you were doing it before??? I don't know of any other way to call multiple scripts at the end of a d7II session, present or past... Yes there was a way to call ONE SINGLE script during End Session previously, that was removed in favor of the ability to run as many as you wanted to rather than restricting you to one...

Psychlone wrote:I know I can't be the only tech that has their own batch commands or vb scripts that they're calling at different points for different functions, and it would be nice to be able to call my custom scripts from somewhere other than as a custom app.

But but... where else would you call a script from??? d7II has two things, internal functionality, and custom functionality. That can be an app or a script, and either can be placed anywhere in d7II that you want to. This wasn't even an option previously, so...

I guess I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how ADDING functionality means that you now can't so something you could previously...

EDIT: I think maybe you have an issue with the extra step of creating a custom config for a script.. such a minor and one-time inconvenience while opening up other config flexibility, I didn't think that would be an issue for anyone... MAYBE I can cut that extra step out for you in the future, but I can't make it a priority at this time.
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby Psychlone » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:40 pm

This post has been rewritten from scratch, so apologies if you saw the original, I'm trying to be as clear as possible.

I've installed the CFG file you gave me (thank you for that) but it still doesn't help to download the latest version of MBAM, nor does it silently install silently like your original Default App Malwarebytes v2. I've tried this on 3 different machines, 2 of which have never had d7II run on them, and neither have had MBAM installed on them prior to this test. I paid very close attention to the "mb2-setup.exe" file mentioned in Malwarebytes.cfg, and it does not exist in the 3rd party apps folder. When I run the original Malwarebytes v2, it installs version 2.02.1012 instead of downloading and installing the latest version.

Maybe I'm doing something completely wrong here - if you see something out of order, please point it out.
1) Open d7II
2) Go to MAIN > CHECK FOR UPDATES > RUN KETARIN TO UPDATE and let it do it's thing for a few minutes
3) Go to the Malware tab
4) Doubleclick on Malwarebytes v2

What I see when I do this is it silently installs the old version and I know this only because when MBAM does it's update for newer definitions, it comes back saying there's a newer program version available (2.03.1025). I have triple-checked the 3rd Party Apps directory and every other place just searching for any place it's downloaded this, and the newer version simply isn't being downloaded.

Can anyone else confirm that Malwarebytes isn't being updated, or is it really just me?

So I went back and re-read this from your other post to me, and I've followed your instructions exactly on importing the cfg file and following through the custom app and adding it to the Malware tab.
Nick wrote:All that being said, MBAM and Combofix are two exceptions to the rule. The actual "config" for these apps exists only as a place holder for internal functionality, as they require more flexibility than a custom app can be configured for, the config details themselves for these two apps are completely ignored by d7/d7II's processing when that app is executed, which is why it is not necessary for the download URL to exist in the custom app -- I could have added it I guess, it just wasn't necessary.

Still doesn't work for whatever reason, but check this out...

I've bypassed yours altogether and made my own that updates itself like it's supposed to, but when it runs, it's config isn't polling your Malwarebytes.cfg file you made (and uploaded for me in the previous post), so it goes through the entire process of auto-download and then MANUAL install, as compared to your default Malwarebytes v2, which silently installs and then manually runs.

So in summary, if I use Malwarebytes v2 from Default Apps with the original cfg OR with the downloaded cfg from your post, it does not update but will install automatically, but if I make my own Malwarebytes custom app and put in the download URL, etc. - it does update correctly but doesn't install automatically.

I hope that all came across clearly. Your original does not update but installs the old version silently. Any new one that I make updates correctly but does not install silently.

Now the second part of of the MBAM conundrum wasn't perceived correctly at all, and in fact is a two-part situation.
What I'm talking about has nothing to do with MBAM itself, it's the built-in prompt from d7ii asking me if I want to uninstall MBAM if one already exists like this:
cc mbam3.JPG
cc mbam3.JPG (15.08 KiB) Viewed 4551 times

(if MBAM v2 was previously installed, we get the above prompt. The prompt to uninstall the existing version is GOOD, the checkbox to "Always uninstall free MBAM" isn't necessary for some of us.)

***AND***

If Malwarebytes has NOT been previously installed, we get this:

...For those of us that like to leave a copy on the customer's computer, why can't we have a "Leave a copy on this computer, never prompt" checkbox alongside "Always uninstall the free version, never prompt"??
As mentioned before, many of us leave a copy of MBAM on our customer's computers.

In Summary:
You've gone through the trouble of creating a dialog asking if we want to remove MBAM every time it's run, but I'm asking if you will add a choice to that same dialog box asking if we'd like to keep it with an option not to keep asking.

I fully removed the section where I was talking about Scripts because it just got too convoluted and hard to read, and because I caved in and made custom apps for every one of my scripts.
What I was hoping that you'd do was simply make a "Scripts" radio button in the "Custom Apps & Default d7II Functions" section that would poll the Scripts folder. In this way, we could add a batch or vb script to any section we want to by simply selecting the Scripts folder and then the script itself without the hassle of creating custom apps for each individual script, but maybe d7II doesn't have the capability of just polling a folder and running a program from inside it... seemed fairly straightforward but I'm not a programmer, only had an idea to make something easier.
I'm probably the minority here for this. I now realize that most techs probably don't use batch or vb scripts for anything much anymore, and that's ok. I have several that are important to me, and now that I've gone through and made custom apps out of all of them, I can call them from wherever - which I already knew is what you were saying... I was just thinking that it would save the step of having to create a custom app if there were a radio button that just opened the Scripts folder just like the ones that shows the contents of Custom Apps or Original Apps.

Anyway, the MBAM thing is a legitimate problem for me, and I'm really curious if I'm really the only one having this problem. I've went back and forth between d7ii v3 and v2 and have the same exact problem on both, so it's entirely possible that something in my config is messed up and it's not updating for whatever reason - I'd especially be interested in finding out if I'm the only one.
I will say that Malwarebytes v2 is the only program that's not updating correctly now... the others that I was having problems with started updating correctly a short while back.

Thanks for reading and for helping.
Attachments
cc-mb.JPG
THIS ONE UPDATES BUT DOESN'T INSTALL SILENTLY
cc-mb.JPG (72.64 KiB) Viewed 4547 times
cc mbam2.JPG
THE ORIGINAL DOES NOT UPDATE BUT INSTALLS SILENTLY
cc mbam2.JPG (115.87 KiB) Viewed 4551 times
Psychlone

Postby Psychlone » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:42 pm

So still no one else has chimed in about the MBAM not updating? How can I be the only one?
On first run of d7ii, when it gets to installing Malwarebytes v2, it finishes the install of 2.02.1012 and then does a check for updates, then comes back saying there's a newer version, which in turn allows me to manually install 2.03.1025, and after it's installed, I can manually run the program as normal.

C'mon guys, is it really just ME that's having this issue? I haven't messed with the original config nor the extra config Nick gave me earlier in the other thread - both do the same exact thing and I'm wanting to know if others are having this same problem.

Also about the prompts to uninstall after reboot, it really would be nice to be asked if we want to uninstall [ y ] or [ n ] like outlined in my post above.

Sorry for the double post - 10 days seems like quite a run for 176 people to blow past and not say anything...
Psychlone

Next

Return to d7II Feature Suggestions