Disable logging of Custom App D7 Startup to Activity Log

These forums are retired and read-only.
Forum rules
These forums are retired and read-only.
d7II is no longer supported. Please update to d7x! (This is included in your d7II subscription!)

Disable logging of Custom App D7 Startup to Activity Log

Postby clickright » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:14 pm

Hi,

Is there any way of disabling logging to "D7 startup" to the activity log? We might reboot a machine 10 times and every time d7 is loaded it's logged.
clickright

Re: DIsable logging of D7 Startup to Activity Log

Postby bored369 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:02 pm

Could you offer more details on why you would want to do this?

If d7II is starting it would be an activity that one would think needs to be logged.

If you don't want d7II to run after each reboot, you can enable the configuration option on the Behavior/Updates tab->General Behavior of "Don't add d7II to RunOnce Reg Key". You can do this on-the-fly so you can pick and choose if d7II starts up after a system reboot prior to the reboot. Of course if you are running in automodes you would have to start d7II manually to pick up the automode process again and it would still log that it started at that point. Ending the session would also not launch d7II after each reboot as well, but normally that would only be after you have completed working on the system with d7II.

I'm not totally against the idea of adding that as an option, but would need some more details as to why you wouldn't want it and in what situations you would want to use it in before I can add it to the bug tracker as a feature request.
Chief Operating Officer, dSupportOnline official support of Foolish IT
& long time tech friend of Nick & avid Foolish IT product user since before Foolish IT was even created!

bored369
d7xTech Staff

Postby laplandz » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:48 pm

Is this for the original d7? not trying to muddy the waters on this, but my d7II doesn't log when its been started (to the work report anyway, nor would i like it to, tbh). It does write something when i end session about work being completed.

I'd imagine this would be annoying when doing stuff outside of d7II and the machine is rebooted.
.. ...
I can walk on water, but I can’t perform miracles.
laplandz

Postby bored369 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:45 pm

Looks like you are correct laplandz, it's only in d7 original, moved to the correct forum location.

It actually logs entries like the following:
04:35 PM -- Started --
04:36 PM -- Stopped --
I should have tested before hand :/. It doesn't in d7II, although I feel it should probably at least when it is starting automatically.

On a separate point you are able to disable the "Work Completed" in d7II under the reports section in the configuration.
& long time tech friend of Nick & avid Foolish IT product user since before Foolish IT was even created!

bored369
d7xTech Staff

Postby laplandz » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:33 pm

Doh, my first post looks dumb now you've moved it.. :'(
.. ...
I can walk on water, but I can’t perform miracles.
laplandz

Postby Nick » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:22 am

unfortunately there isn't any way to remove that from original d7 logs.
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby clickright » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:30 pm

Well, that's odd! I was referring to D7II indeed, not the original d7

Reason I want it disabled is simply this. If I save the log to my FTP server, then attach to PCRT, the log looks like this:

- D7 Startup
Info Report Generated
- Delete Temp Files - 3,164.94 MB Deleted!
- Delete Temp Internet Files - 6,484.42 MB Deleted!
- Uninstall Failed: aTube Catcher
- Uninstall Failed: Gateway Updater
- Uninstall Failed: Zuma Deluxe
- dUninstaller (Auto)
- Run Windows CleanMgr.exe
- Scanned for Malware (MBAM)
- D7 Startup
- dUninstaller (UI)
- Removed unnecessary Windows startup entries.
- Examined Windows startup items and removed unnecessary entries.
- Scanned for ad/spy/malware (SAS)
- D7 Startup
- Scanned and removed unnecessary, unused system files taking up space
- Installed updates Windows and commonly used applications.
- Maintenance completed, Total of 7,836.07 MB deleted!
- dUninstaller (UI)
- Removed unnecessary junk programs & toolbars
- Scanned for rogue applications and malware (RogueKiller)
- D7 Startup
- Defragmented file system
- Installed updates Windows and commonly used applications.
- D7 Startup
Work Completed on 2/14/2015

I would LOVE to remove the extra startup entries so I don't have to do so manually.
clickright

Postby bored369 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:25 am

Hmmmm....is that from your Work Report.html or from your ActivityLog.txt? Does it appear that way on the system, on the FTP as well as on PCRT?
None of the ones I have for d7II have that information, only on the original d7 and it only logs entries like listed above, so I'm not sure where the "D7 Startup" is coming from.

bored369
d7xTech Staff

Postby clickright » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:39 am

bored369 wrote:Hmmmm....is that from your Work Report.html or from your ActivityLog.txt? Does it appear that way on the system, on the FTP as well as on PCRT?
None of the ones I have for d7II have that information, only on the original d7 and it only logs entries like listed above, so I'm not sure where the "D7 Startup" is coming from.

It's in the Work Report.html.

I think I figured out why it's there but I need help to remove it. I have a Custom App called "D7 Startup" that's loaded on every D7 Startup. I think if there was an option on the Persistent settings page to not log anything to the work report when the app is launched, my issue would be solved :D
clickright

Re: DIsable logging of Custom App D7 Startup to Activity Log

Postby bored369 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:07 pm

Well out of curiosity what do you have the Custom App doing for d7 Startup?

I'm not against a feature request of not having the item logged as an option on the persistent settings page, but as I mentioned in my original reply I kinda feel like it should be logged anyway so I was considering adding a feature request to do exactly that the same way d7 original did. I haven't yet because it sounds like you wouldn't want that and it was removed possibly because others didn't want it as well, but I kinda feel like the work report should be logging most if not all activities d7II performs.

Either way I'll ask Nick what he thinks about both options and items, but I'd like to include your opinion on why things like that should be included and you would want to remove them.

Also I'm going to move this back to d7II support forum and update the topic to include "Custom App d7 Startup" so it will be easier for others to know what's going on here.

bored369
d7xTech Staff

Next

Return to d7II Feature Suggestions