remote desktop

These forums are retired and read-only.
Forum rules
These forums are retired and read-only.

remote desktop

Postby xide » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:59 am

I could have sworn I have seen this topic before, but after searching I can't seem to find it.

Basically I was wondering if anyone has a solution to use D7 in a remote desktop situation for when you are working on a client computer via software such as aammy or logmein.
I'd hate to have to transfer the entire folder to the client pc in order to use D7, but I can't think of any other method.

Thanks for your help!
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Re: remote desktop

Postby Mitch » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:14 am

Create a dCL_SFX.exe file, transfer and unpack it. It's less than 300kb so it's a pretty fast transfer.
Mitch

Postby Mitch » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:16 am

Sorry in case you didn't know, you create the SFX from within d7's main menu.
Mitch

Postby wmmiller » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:17 am

@ xide,
Take a look at this. It may be helpful to you in answering your question. I use 7-Zip 9.22 Bata to create a self-extracting .exe that I then transfer to the remote computer and then download the tools I want to use from the remote computer. The extracting file that I transfer is 7.84MB in size. I hope this helps.
Bill

http://foolishtech.com/search.php?keywords=sfx&fid%5B0%5D=23

You can find 7zip here.

http://www.filehippo.com/search?q=7-Zip+9.22+

Edit: I don’t create my self-extracting .exe from within d7, but that’s how I do it. The above methods work great as well.
"Resist We Much"
wmmiller

Postby Xander » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:23 pm

Mitch wrote:Sorry in case you didn't know, you create the SFX from within d7's main menu.

The one from D7's main menu creates an SFX from the *entire* D7 folder and subfolders. The one from the dCloud console is the little one.

Edit: If you want to make a little one without dCloud, you'd have to work from an essentially-empty D7 setup.
Xander

Postby Mitch » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:51 pm

@Xander, you're right, thanks for the correction.
Mitch

Postby xide » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:37 pm

Thanks guys, that really helps alot actually. I will just slim mine down and make that sfx file, I didn't think of that.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Postby Nick » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:56 am

xide wrote:Thanks guys, that really helps alot actually. I will just slim mine down and make that sfx file, I didn't think of that.

I recommend deleting everything but your config/scripts directory, and d7.exe - delete all other dirs/files. The launch d7.exe, let it re-download exactly what it needs, and when it comes up then create the full SFX.
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby xide » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:53 pm

Yeah that should slim mine down a bit.....mine is currently 14GB, and thats after I slimmed it down from 18 over the weekend. lol, so you can see why I didn't want to transfer that kind of size on a remote support call.
xide

Return to d7 Usage and Tips