Custom URL Desktop Shortcut

These forums are retired and read-only.
Forum rules
These forums are retired and read-only.

Postby wmmiller » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:45 pm

Would somebody be so kind as to explain this feature? I can create the shortcut ok, but I’m missing something on getting the icon correct. :oops: I put an oemlogo.bmp in the Config\BrandOS folder (50x50 pixels, bit depth 24), but it’s a no go. Is that size correct? Guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Bill
"Resist We Much"
wmmiller

Postby wmmiller » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:26 am

d7 any version any OS
Nick,
Would you be so kind as to explain this feature? I can create the shortcut ok, but I’m missing something on getting the icon correct. I put an oemlogo.bmp in the Config\BrandOS folder (50x50 pixels, bit depth 24), but it’s a no go. Is that size correct? Guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Bill

Also in d7 Usage and Tips, but since you didn’t see it or ignored it there I thought maybe I should move it and just ask you directly for help.
"Resist We Much"
wmmiller

Re: Custom URL Desktop Shortcut

Postby Nick » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:10 am

not ignoring, just busy. it also didn't occur to me that there was no d7 documentation on this. your error is that you simply don't have an icon... you are describing the BMP used in the system properties page of Windows. you need an Windows ICON format file (.ICO), to be a desktop shortcut icon.
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby wmmiller » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:23 am

Thanks Nick,
I went with a .bmp because I read this. ("Your properly sized oemlogo.bmp") I thought it was odd. I should have tried an .ico I guess, I cant remember where I found the 50x50 size info.

OS BRANDING SETUP:

Using D7 for Operating System Branding requires a \Config\BrandOS subdirectory inside your D7 directory, containing:
◦Your properly sized oemlogo.bmp
◦Your preconfigured oeminfo.ini if you have one, else one will be created for you (used for XP/2003 only. For Vista/7, you are prompted for the appropriate branding text the first time you use the feature, and that text is saved to the BrandOS.INI for future reference.)
"Resist We Much"
wmmiller

Postby Nick » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:47 am

Yes the oemlogo.bmp is for the system properties page.

I'm remembering that the ICON feature itself was added to the BrandOS executable at a later date than the documentation was originally made, and I didn't update it obviously. The I seriously need to re-work the online manual it's so dated at least back to like v6 I think. It's tough to keep doing it though as fast as I develop d7 and add features, since it often needs to be a write-up with screen shots and such.
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby zohaa » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:50 pm

I have a question. I would like setup my remote help config that it sends the reports to FTP but also that it deletes D7.
However how do I save this on the Close with Options screen? When I actually would click Close & Apply then also my config will be gone...
Do I overlook some option?
Download high quality 70-467 braindumps to prepare and Adams State University with oracle certification dumps certification. Also get free demos of University of California, Berkeley for review of MICROSOFT
zohaa

Postby Xander » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:45 pm

The option to save the settings separately is available in D7II but I don't believe it's included in D7. D7 is no longer being developed (but bug fixes are still done when found).
Xander

Return to d7 Usage and Tips