Non Administrator Email Option

Post feature suggestions here for dSupportSuite (including dCloud / dCloud Self-Hosted and the dSupportSuite Management Console)
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. SEARCH THE FORUMS BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC.

Non Administrator Email Option

Postby bchighway » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:37 pm

Nick wrote: just about everything dSS does requires administrator rights except for the emailing of the tech...

Would it be somehow possible to run dSS with the email tech button only, nothing else so they can launch the app without admin rights ? I really would appreciate if you could help with this. I've eliminated all buttons, but it doesn't seem the maintenance one can be removed.
bchighway

Re: DSS Non Administrator

Postby bchighway » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:38 pm

all i need is a button to email tech to be used by domain user without admin rights.
bchighway

Re: Non Administrator Email Option

Postby Nick » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:07 am

I split this topic and moved to feature suggestions. please think about what you are asking before posting -- first this is a feature request, second it is not related to the other person's issue whose thread you posted in. try to stay consistent with forum rules!

I can see the necessity in what you are asking for, but there is no way to run the main dSupportSuite executable without administrator rights no matter how much functionality you disable. admin rights are required by the manifest file embedded inside the executable, the OS will cannot just 'ignore' it...

To do what you ask, I would need to code a separate executable designed to only send email, and without the embedded manifest.

It is do-able, but before I invest the time and effor -- why not just install a shortcut with the target: mailto:whatever@yourdomain.com ????
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby bchighway » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:55 pm

Nick wrote: It is do-able, but before I invest the time and effor -- why not just install a shortcut with the target: mailto:whatever@yourdomain.com ????

A shortcut that would lauch system's (windows) default email app ?
bchighway

Postby Xander » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:24 pm

That's what a "mailto:" link does, yes. If they use webmail, they'll get an error but, in a corporate environment, they're probably fine.
Xander

Return to dSupportSuite Feature Suggestions