custom hosts

Post feature suggestions here for dSupportSuite (including dCloud / dCloud Self-Hosted and the dSupportSuite Management Console)
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. SEARCH THE FORUMS BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC.

custom hosts

Postby xide » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:41 am

I like the idea of changing to default hosts file but I would like the option of installing my custom hosts file instead. Just as an additional option, I realize not everyone would want this.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Re: custom hosts

Postby xide » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:33 am

Just had another idea....the ability to change power options like energy saver, balanced, high performance.

Could be useful, maybe have a button for the user to select these options. I often get customer who have no idea how to change this and say to me "My computer always shuts down after an hour....i think its broken" Yeah at times I wonder if i'm the only one that gets customers that are clueless, several come in drunk because there are 4 bars right by me....that may have something to do with it. I could go for days about the weird stories from interactions with my customers.

Just thought of another. Have tool tips, so when a customer hovers over a button it will give a description of what it does....yes sadly most of my customers seem to need that.
Fix Internet - "This will fix your internet if you're having issues, if you are unable to connect to the internet please click this button."
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Postby osigoldman » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:24 pm

good ideas! Really would love to change poweroptions too. Doing more and more automated maintenance and sometimes it is just not running because the computer is in deep sleep.
osigoldman

Postby osigoldman » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:20 am

should not be so difficult to change the powersettings via commandline. I just found this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc748940(v=ws.10).aspx

[URL changed to a link as it was 404'ing - Xander]
osigoldman

Postby xide » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:32 am

osigoldman wrote:should not be so difficult to change the powersettings via commandline. I just found this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc748940(v=ws.10).aspx

Great find! Thanks for that! I'm going to try putting it in my d7 config, I think it might be worth sharing on the cloud in the scripts section
xide

Postby Xander » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:40 pm

This would be more useful if it could save the Powercfg options at the start of a run, keep it from sleeping during the run, and put things back at the end. If someone is used to their system sleeping after 30 mins, and then for it to never sleep again, that's not doing them any favours. BUT, if you told them, "I have the maintenance set to run Monday evenings and, once started, the PC will stay awake until it's done", that would be much better.

So, to anyone looking to do this, I'd go for the Export option first, change your settings and then a final Import. I mention this because I usually change the powercfg options in D7 especially to make sure that laptops hibernate on battery when the lids close. More than one customer has suffocated their laptop in their carry bag by it /just/ sleeping when closed on battery. And, if anyone has tips on how I can set that from a command line (and not need to use the UI), I'd be glad to hear it.
Xander

Postby osigoldman » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:09 pm

I am not sure in which post I have read this but I am pretty sure that Nick set things up that the computer does not sleep during dSS maintenance. Perhaps Nick can confirm this. Changing the powersettings would then only be needed to enable dSS to run. Of course the settings for a laptop on battery power should not be changed. When on mains power it is another story. My idea is to change the power setting only a little after talking with the client about this. For instance if the computer is to sleep in 20 mins, it is hard for the customer to have the PC on for maintenance. It would be better to set this time a little longer, perhaps 2 - 3 hours. So it should be done right.
osigoldman

Postby Nick » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:12 pm

Will take some looking into.. I DO indeed now prevent system sleep states during dss operation (at least during maint). I recently figured to add a preset power profile capability to d7.. Thing is easiest thing g to do is let you set the profiles... config... then have dss just import it. Will need some thought and discussion. Post further thoughts and we will get something practical going as we figure it out..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Return to dSupportSuite Feature Suggestions