change names

Post feature suggestions here for dSupportSuite (including dCloud / dCloud Self-Hosted and the dSupportSuite Management Console)
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. SEARCH THE FORUMS BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC.

change names

Postby extrapolate » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:51 pm

change names to generic names such as change install folder to support or supportsuite instead of dsupportsuite do the same with dsupportsuite.exe make it support.exe change icon in add/remove programs to generic computer icon instead of foolish it icon these suggestions will make it more white label just in case our competitors see the software we use on a computer then googling then also come across other "secret weapons" but i could see how this would be less sales for you i just like to offer something our local competition doesn't to give us an edge just my $0.02
extrapolate
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:31 pm

Re: change names

Postby Nick » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:56 pm

Changing name of the exe or path would present issues with some things.. nothing that couldn't be worked around but a hassle nonetheless. Thing is I have never spoken to a client who has visited \program files and noted the name of app folders or execu table names... for simplicity sake I would rather not bother on something I feel no end user would notice. Am I wrong?

Icon in. Control panel is the app icon... which I Intentionally made generic In case ppl wanted to use it for their own if they didn't have something g better. Still it cannot be changed (maybe the Control panel icon can.. will look into that 4 u..

I see the need to brand it and make it different than the competition but these things I feel are really insignificant except to other techs who would know better anyway... let me know if I am grossly mistaken..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Image
User avatar
Nick
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2790
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:54 pm

Re: change names

Postby Trevor K » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:55 pm

Nick wrote:Changing name of the exe or path would present issues with some things.. nothing that couldn't be worked around but a hassle nonetheless. Thing is I have never spoken to a client who has visited \program files and noted the name of app folders or execu table names... for simplicity sake I would rather not bother on something I feel no end user would notice. Am I wrong?


majority of clients have UAC enabled. which displays dsupportsuite & below that foolish it llc. they may not go to program files but they typically will see this unless on xp or uac disabled. but when uac is disabled they get a nice red light on info page indicating uac is off & that makes it appear something is wrong. i imagine your clients have not said anything because its your company. weve had at least 10.

Nick wrote:Icon in. Control panel is the app icon... which I Intentionally made generic In case ppl wanted to use it for their own if they didn't have something g better. Still it cannot be changed (maybe the Control panel icon can.. will look into that 4 u..


in add & remove progs the icon is foolish it in a circle pattern. this is not a generic icon. a brief look at my remove pro list shows HP printer with a basic box & disc next to it. Apple support with a basic computer & disc next to it, .net framework shows the same icon apple support is using. these are what generic icons look like. if you need help finding some check %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll or google.

Nick wrote:I see the need to brand it and make it different than the competition but these things I feel are really insignificant except to other techs who would know better anyway... let me know if I am grossly mistaken..


I see your point. that makes much sense. after i finish my post i plan to go outside and remove all the emblems off my Mercedes since they insignificant to other drivers and it won't matter to other Mercedes owners because they will know better anyway.

on a side note i didn't hijack this thread. i am the op.
Trevor K
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:25 pm
Location: Germany

Re: change names

Postby trevor » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:28 pm

so people that are right don't get a reply? you ignored my posts so people come here to buy you home user software . you knew you were going to launch that home user bullshit so you kept your name all over the so called white label programs you sell
now our customers can see your name all over and spend their money on your site nice move bro thanks for taking money out of our pockets

first we pay you for the software that you have branded with your shit on the UAC and everything then our customers visit your site to buy other shit after they google 'wtf is foolish it' must be a win win for you but a waste of money for us for paying you originally

great business model there --- 'pay me only $600 and i will let you advertise for me' if that be the case it should be $6 instead
sad thing is no one knows until after they buy it should come with a warning label WARNING WILL HAVE MY COMPANY TAGGED ALL OVER THE FUCKING PLACE EXCEPT FOR YOUR LOGO
lets not forget home user software is on the same site the tech software is on even the free d7 is there good move now these morons have acess to the same tools we have so they will have little use for us
brilliant
trevor
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:01 pm

Re: change names

Postby csc » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:30 pm

Trevor K wrote:
Nick wrote:Changing name of the exe or path would present issues with some things.. nothing that couldn't be worked around but a hassle nonetheless. Thing is I have never spoken to a client who has visited \program files and noted the name of app folders or execu table names... for simplicity sake I would rather not bother on something I feel no end user would notice. Am I wrong?


majority of clients have UAC enabled. which displays dsupportsuite & below that foolish it llc. they may not go to program files but they typically will see this unless on xp or uac disabled. but when uac is disabled they get a nice red light on info page indicating uac is off & that makes it appear something is wrong. i imagine your clients have not said anything because its your company. weve had at least 10.


I have had customers mention this to me, but I didn't mind it to be upsetting to them. They open the software manually rarely. As long as it does not prompt when a heartbeat or maintenance routine is running (or event trigger) then its okay.

Trevor K wrote:
Nick wrote:Icon in. Control panel is the app icon... which I Intentionally made generic In case ppl wanted to use it for their own if they didn't have something g better. Still it cannot be changed (maybe the Control panel icon can.. will look into that 4 u..


in add & remove progs the icon is foolish it in a circle pattern. this is not a generic icon. a brief look at my remove pro list shows HP printer with a basic box & disc next to it. Apple support with a basic computer & disc next to it, .net framework shows the same icon apple support is using. these are what generic icons look like. if you need help finding some check %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll or google.


You can change up the icon yourself though, just use resource hacker before you upload your generic installer or redistribute the file. Specifying the icon is a good suggestion in the future but its really not the end of the world.

Trevor K wrote:
Nick wrote:I see the need to brand it and make it different than the competition but these things I feel are really insignificant except to other techs who would know better anyway... let me know if I am grossly mistaken..


I see your point. that makes much sense. after i finish my post i plan to go outside and remove all the emblems off my Mercedes since they insignificant to other drivers and it won't matter to other Mercedes owners because they will know better anyway.

on a side note i didn't hijack this thread. i am the op.


Okay well hold on. dSupportSuite will not run your entire business for you, and you should be branding yourself without the application. It's a tool, like d7II is a tool, and it's value is meant to supplement your repair routine. Tell your customer to run dSupportSuite instead of CCleaner because it's just as many clicks for them and it allows you to provide them support.

trevor wrote:so people that are right don't get a reply? you ignored my posts so people come here to buy you home user software . you knew you were going to launch that home user bullshit so you kept your name all over the so called white label programs you sell
now our customers can see your name all over and spend their money on your site nice move bro thanks for taking money out of our pockets

first we pay you for the software that you have branded with your shit on the UAC and everything then our customers visit your site to buy other shit after they google 'wtf is foolish it' must be a win win for you but a waste of money for us for paying you originally

great business model there --- 'pay me only $600 and i will let you advertise for me' if that be the case it should be $6 instead
sad thing is no one knows until after they buy it should come with a warning label WARNING WILL HAVE MY COMPANY TAGGED ALL OVER THE FUCKING PLACE EXCEPT FOR YOUR LOGO
lets not forget home user software is on the same site the tech software is on even the free d7 is there good move now these morons have acess to the same tools we have so they will have little use for us
brilliant


You're rather misguided in your thoughts and beliefs of what Foolish IT and Nick actually does. Here's the thing, you didn't pay him to make you more money. He created a tool that will make you more money, that is rather complex. Your customer likely does not know how to use it. If they did, wouldn't you feel bad charging them for it? Don't charge them for things they can do themselves. Just brand an application for them that does it best. Tell them dSupportSuite helps you support their computer, and that they're buying you. Do you read the heartbeat and maintenance emails that it sends you? All of them? That's what they're paying for. They're paying for the accessibility of having your remote control their computer. Everything you sell to your customers is packaged rather easily within one application.

I understand you're upset about the UAC prompts, but you can read other posts on these forums which Nick has already addressed this issue to the best of his capabilities. He specifically stated that changing the name is a difficult process, and that he does not intend to pursue this issue unless there is an outcry on the forums which would suggest such a feature would drive sales. One person does not justify enough outcry, so you should suggest your feature suggestion and allow other to respond. (Oh wait - you did that already, and I think you're just upset the other users here don't care as much as you do)

You realize Microsoft includes recovery options, backup options, repair features, ect. built right into the operating system right? Just because a customer has access to it does not mean that they know how to use it. Go tell Microsoft you're upset that they steal money from you, and they'll just laugh at you. They'll tell you that you should be thankful that they created a product you're entire life has been based on fixing. Everybody creates a better feature that's as accessible as possible. On computer's it's commonly free.

Did you create a new account because you were banned? Just putting that out there.

Also, Nick, it's a good idea, but I would love to see your time used for some of the other features suggested as your time is limited.
csc
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:18 am
Location: Toronto, ON


Return to dSupportSuite Feature Suggestions