Client ID Suggestion

Post feature suggestions here for dSupportSuite (including dCloud / dCloud Self-Hosted and the dSupportSuite Management Console)
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. SEARCH THE FORUMS BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC.

Client ID Suggestion

Postby csc » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:36 pm

Hey,

Can the Client IDs be split up into two types? The first type would be exactly the way it runs now, with the ability to have an independent configuration for each identity.

The second type would be a generic Client ID with only one configuration page. This dialog would prompt for the names of the 2 templates which apply to that client (or 3 if you read my last post). If the template this Client is assigned to is updated, then this Client is automatically also updated. This Generic configuration would simply point to the correct config,interface,rules.

Thanks,
Ray
csc

Re: Client ID Suggestion

Postby xide » Tue May 13, 2014 4:00 pm

I don't think this would fall into your "best business practices" as I don't think this would be something very commonly used. However the main reason is that people already have a hard enough time trying to get dSupport setup the first time. Yes Nick made a quick video on this, but it wasn't very in depth. He mentions in the video that he will "explain more on that in another video" yet I think he has been far too busy with d7ii i'm guessing to make a new video which is understandable. If you take a look at the dSupport topic, you will see several people posting with various requests for help, so your idea will cause even more issues I think. A better suggestion might be a setup wizard for people to help get them started instead of causing more confusion with something most people won't even use.

Maybe try running another copy of dSupport so that you can have 2 different configurations, maybe even run 1 off a virtual machine? :mrgreen:
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Postby csc » Fri May 30, 2014 4:45 pm

Hey Xide,

I think you need a review on what "best business practices" are. They have nothing to do with how often something is used. Allow me to explain the current problem:

When I update a template with new dUninstaller definitions, I must manually update each client. If I have two templates available to my customers, I have to remember which client applies to which template. I use the Device ID from PC Repair Tracker as my identity, and it becomes very tedious to do this.

This was a small suggestion in a much larger idea (sent in a PM, perhaps that was the disconnect) to split dSupportSuite Mgmt Console into three separate consoles.
1. dSupportSuite Technician Console
2. dSupportSuite Management Console
3. dSupportSuite Enterprise Console

This would follow the path of the licensing for d7II very well, thus justifying the name dSupportSuiteII. If it is licensed for 5 technicians, I need it to be built for that number. With two locations, and 10 technicians, each managing their own customer base, the current dSupportSuite is simply not good enough. Imagine putting 1000 people into a single management console. The software has much room to grow. The FIRST thing we need done, is automatic template updates. I believe a picture of my idea would work best to describe this.

I am unsure if this post is the best place to continue this idea, as it will become very lengthy. I will put together a new post over the next two days with details as to how this would work. I've been thinking about this for literally months, and I think I can come up with an elegant solution. Just to summarize, the technician cannot edit templates or view clients that do not belong to them. The manager can create and manage templates from that location, and the enterprise can view all locations. It really wouldn't look all that different, and it wouldn't be very hard to do.

Hopefully you do not consider dSupportSuiteII to be difficult to set up for youself now that you have spent some time working with dSupportSuite.

Thanks,
Ray
csc

Postby csc » Fri May 30, 2014 4:49 pm

Also, I have considered your suggestion, although it would not help out the managers very much. It was my first thought, although it would be rather redundant. Thanks for the tip though.
csc

Postby xide » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:09 pm

The reason why that was quoted was because I was quoting a comment you made on one of my threads. You pointed out how no one would use my suggestion of automatically adding a username to use, and that it's a waste of time to even add it. So you think people would want this even more? Again I think you will make it more confusing for new users that purchase it, unless Nick keeps 1 version and then makes your advanced version (sounds pointless to do). I really don't see anyone getting any benefit from it other than you. I'm sure you realize that since no one else posted anything positive since April 18. I was hoping to read these ideas that you said you would be posting in a few days.....i'm hoping this idea will soon sound more logical once you post these said ideas.

Still again, even you yourself are found in the support section because things won't work right sometimes. Why would anyone want to complicate things more?

love always
xide ;)
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Postby csc » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:57 am

@Xide, To answer your question, I always prioritize functionality. You mentioned more than once you think it would make things more complicated. I don't, because it would make things simpler for me. I use custom applications a lot, let's put it that way.

Consider this thread superseded by http://foolishtech.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1521#p7445.
csc

Postby xide » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:40 am

Yes that is my point. Simpler for you, but may confuse the majority of others. I myself have learned from here that most suggestions posted on this forum will never make it, typically do the complexity and/or the popularity of a suggested feature (as well as other reasons there may be). Which is why I suggested a possible solution to your issue (which apparently won't work the way I thought you needed) with this in mind I learned that I must find a new way by myself to do certain things i want that are not available in d7 (or dSS). So please note I'm only trying to help you out simply because of the reasons above.
xide

Postby csc » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:05 pm

@Xide - I appreciate your help, but you've made your point numerous times. Calm down.
csc

Postby laplandz » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:29 pm

Ray, i know you have superseded this but i see the other post as a separate suggestion to what is here. So, If i'm reading it correctly...

1. your suggestion is to auto-update multiple clients who have been assigned a certain template &
2. These clients would be sent the update when you have edited the template? (Read:: upload it, committed it, etc).

This is a problem i have also encountered and have so far used naming conventions for the client ID, currently my conventions are:

for residential customers -
sub1 - Kyle Reese - Dell Studio 17R (the 1 indicating 1month, i also have sub3 & sub12)
free - linda hamilton - Tosh C660
for supported businesses -
support - Cyberdyne Systems - Lena Headey - oemtower_sn-115424

We also put ---ssd or ---unique at the end for when something has to be set a certain way for that exact customer/machine

I am unsure of how you are doing it, but we have already messed this method up, usually different people putting the wrong element in the wrong place so it looks "messy"!
I think a better description of what we're both after (hopefully) is to have the ability to add a client ID to a group, that group being a template which takes precedence over a default template. Would that also work for you?

@Xide - i am unsure of the purpose of some of your responses, Ray's suggestion shouldn't be ignored because "dSS is complicated enough". thats not his fault, I also don't understand how this couldn't benefit others, i am a new user to dSS and have only 15-20 machines setup, I can already see the logistical nightmare that will surface when pushing out config-related-updates to 45 out of 100 clients with dSS's current configuration, GUI and existing "hold ctrl" to select multiple clients routine. This is not me 'taking sides', which i fear will be your initial reaction, that really isn't my intention or style at all. I am however, very interested in hearing how you and others overcome this problem. A bit of help from an experienced, well practiced dSS user would be most beneficial to all.

I think a few clever alterations to the GUI would resolve any complications that would arise, just need Nick to put his thinking cap on :)
.. ...
I can walk on water, but I can’t perform miracles.
laplandz

Postby csc » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:41 pm

@Laplandz - You understand correctly and you're description of "groups" is much clearer than mine. Just to clarify, I decided to superseed because of the "Highlight all assigned clients" suggestion made in the other post. You're correct, they are slightly different, although both would simplify the template update task. You're suggestion would work great for me.

For my naming conventions I use a 7 digit number. The first 2 digits are the technician ID, and the following 5 digits are the Device ID assigned by my PC Repair Tracker software. So for example, "0700132" is the identity assigned to my personal computer. I use a separate spreadsheet for each technician, and the first two digits will identify which spreadsheet the data should be recorded in. The following 5 digits identify the computer specifically. This is useful for one catch-all email account (ex, dSupportSuite@computerservicecanada.com) while still remaining functional for multiple technicians. I use the spreadsheet in combination with PC Repair Tracker for all other information.

Thanks for the reply,
Ray
csc

Return to dSupportSuite Feature Suggestions