Templates + Menus Ideas

Post feature suggestions here for dSupportSuite (including dCloud / dCloud Self-Hosted and the dSupportSuite Management Console)
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. SEARCH THE FORUMS BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC.

Templates + Menus Ideas

Postby Marshall » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:43 pm

I was wondering if you had an eta, or general idea when you may/may not implement that Client ID menu idea I had?

The general idea was that the Client ID list would have a selection box so that when you saved a template, and loaded the template you could quickly disperse the template to all of the selected Client ID's.

In addition, a drop down menu for the Template Management section, so that you could quickly work with specific templates, i.e. Home PC, Business PC, Server, Front Desk, etc...

I think this sort of feature would increase the management capabilities a lot. Allowing you to handle multiple config's at once when doing bulk updates, etc. In addition to having an actual Template Management system, instead of always using a "Test Account" to save templates from.

I think that's the general idea, but I don't remember 100% how I had envisioned it...
Help Me With My Computer Tech
IT Services & IT Consulting Services In Southern IL and St. Louis MO
Marshall

Re: Templates + Menus Ideas

Postby Nick » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:40 am

I gotcha. These will be invaluable enhancements to dCC, but I haven't looked into how feasible it would be to make it all happen. I should have some time today to experiment with it.
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby Marshall » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:48 am

Awesome. I wish you the best of luck!
Marshall

Postby Nick » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:37 pm

looks like it's going to be easier than I thought. I've already coded the part about uploading a config to multiple client IDs at once (or at least, sequentially, but with one click) and I just need to add the template manager bit. I'll probably go ahead and release what I have now when I'm finished testing. Now that some people are using dSS in production, it is best to test extremely well in dCC any changes related to Client IDs.

Nick
Site Admin

Postby Marshall » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:51 pm

That's great Nick. I can't wait to see the new changes. It will certainly help manage tons of clients at once. Thanks!
Marshall

Postby Nick » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:51 pm

It's all out!

Nick
Site Admin

Postby Marshall » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:20 pm

That's pretty slick man! I am very happy. I like the shift click feature within the Client ID fields...no check boxes makes it stay nice and clean.

The extra menu for Template Mgr. is great. I'm wondering though if you can put a Config/Reconfig Template button in there so that you can access the config directly.

At first glance I became a bit confused as to how I know what I'm configuring. The Client ID section show's you what Client ID you currently have loaded, from the Client ID list.
There is however no identifier to let you know what template you have loaded if you want to reconfigure a template.
Could you add a Reconfigure option within the Template Mgr. window? So that you can select a template (highlighted in blue), then reconfigure it.
Otherwise you will still have the need for an actual Client ID to match your Template's.

Works like a charm as is though. This is my favorite management feature to date! Thank you very much for adding this so fast!
Marshall

Postby Nick » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:45 pm

HMWMCT wrote:At first glance I became a bit confused as to how I know what I'm configuring. The Client ID section show's you what Client ID you currently have loaded, from the Client ID list.
There is however no identifier to let you know what template you have loaded if you want to reconfigure a template.
Could you add a Reconfigure option within the Template Mgr. window? So that you can select a template (highlighted in blue), then reconfigure it.
Otherwise you will still have the need for an actual Client ID to match your Template's.

You are always configuring the config for the selected Client ID.

Not following you on why you would need Client ID to match a template???

I designed the Template Mgr. window as a free floating toolbar style - so you can leave it open all the time and you'll always know what the last template you loaded/saved was.

Nick
Site Admin

Postby Marshall » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:08 pm

I think what I was looking for was the ability to reconfigure a template within the Template Manager so that I don't have to retain a "test account" Client ID for my "Home Users, Business Users," etc. templates. I consider all of my current Client's to be within the production area, and templates are for testing before I load them to production.

So I guess in reality the idea I'm having is to be able to have separate config files for the Template Mgr. which I can do testing within before loading it to Client IDs. This would allow me to monkey around with a Template, Reconfigure it within the Template Mgr. and within the config window Save & Test my changes to determine if I'm going to have any problems with a new build. (I realize there is nil difference between this, and having a "test account" Client ID, since if it's not deployed to an actual client it's really not in production and remains a test environment, and I'm being "nit picky".)

Is there value in this idea? I like it, because it seems more cosmetically streamlined for an IT Manager, and having a separate window with all the options to "load to client id", delete template, etc. creates less room for a mistake.

On another note, think anyone will have the need to retain a backup copy of a Template?
Marshall

Postby Nick » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:36 pm

Well, right now you can "load" template, config it, save and test it, etc. and never ever assign it to a client ID. But you would need to be sure to redownload the client ID config before switching configs... and that is retarded. I see what you are saying now about needing a test account.

What you are suggesting sounds simple but in fact would not be. Because of the way things are setup a lot of change might be required too.

Let me ponder a solution.

Nick
Site Admin

Next

Return to dSupportSuite Feature Suggestions