suggestion: client usage status

Post feature suggestions here for dSupportSuite (including dCloud / dCloud Self-Hosted and the dSupportSuite Management Console)
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. SEARCH THE FORUMS BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC.

suggestion: client usage status

Postby laplandz » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:43 am

1. It would be nice to know within the console (perhaps on the opened client ID page) when the client has opened dSS or when dSS last checked/updated the config from being manually opened, this way we could see which clients were actually opening the product. i would find this useful for my free version as i could then promote it to those who haven't opened it in a while.

2. On the same basis as above, it would be nice to know when the config was last updated by ourselves, with an expanding list of clients, i am finding myself uncertain which update each client is using.

(2a. this would of course be circumvented if we were able to set clients to template groups as suggested multiple times in other threads, then perhaps time-stamp those templates instead.)
.. ...
I can walk on water, but I can’t perform miracles.
laplandz

Re: suggestion: client usage status

Postby vmhs » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:37 am

Agreed. Now, How are you distributing your free version?

Just a generic Client ID, that you have crippled a little?

so all of free customers get assigned to the "free" client ID?
vmhs

Postby csc » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:24 am

+1
csc

Postby laplandz » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:52 pm

vmhs wrote: How are you distributing your free version?

I have 3 client-based templates called "free AfterCare", "subscribed AfterCare" & "managed AfterCare", each one has a corresponding Client-ID (called zzz_free_template, etc)
i have set the free_template installer to ask for a new client ID upon installation, when i make alterations, i update the zzz_free client id, then compile from that.
dSS only gets installed on customers machines and most/all machines have d7ii installed for the reports so i only distribute it through d7ii. When installing the free version i simply create a new client id that identifies that machine and that customer (after several naming convention ideas!)
I have no interest in selling dSS to the general public at present, only to my customers so i can keep it under control as its still early days for me :oops:

vmhs wrote: Just a generic Client ID, that you have crippled a little?
so all of free customers get assigned to the "free" client ID?

I would think this is bad practice, if i set all free customers to the free client ID how could i then change an individual customer config later?(if they subscribed for example).
Not sure if i'm missing something, but surely a client-id is name-sake, ie. something to id that client/customer. Am also not sure why i would need templates with that approach either tbh.
.. ...
laplandz

Postby csc » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:07 pm

Am also not sure why i would need templates with that approach either tbh.

As you get more experienced with dSupportSuite you'll be very glad to have templates. It's much easier when updating the configurations to have a "test" template which does not impact any of your clients. Also, when a free client becomes a subscriber, it is much easier to update their configuration than to type out all the same information again for every client.

FYI, I use PC Repair Tracker for my client IDs. PC Repair Tracker assigns a "Device ID" which is specific to that hardware. I then add a Technician ID to the beginning to give me my client ID. For example, I have assigned myself ID "07" to distinguish my customers from that of my staff, and I append that information to the beginning of the client ID. This results in an ID such as "0700132" which means technician 07, device 132. This was done primarily because each one of my technicians uses a different spreadsheet to keep track of their customers. The beginning technician ID (07 in my case) will identify which database the results should be recorded into, and which technician is responsible for reviewing those results.

I distribute my free edition solely for the purpose of a technician contact card. The maintenance routine has been cut down to include basically nothing and the custom applications are disabled, although I do receive heartbeat information on a daily basis from these machines (I found it to be useful when contacting them).
csc

Postby laplandz » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:03 am

csc wrote:As you get more experienced with dSupportSuite you'll be very glad to have templates. It's much easier when updating the configurations to have a "test" template which does not impact any of your clients. Also, when a free client becomes a subscriber, it is much easier to update their configuration than to type out all the same information again for every client.

totally agree, thats the point i was getting at and also how im set up, if all free clients use a single client-id (not a template) than it makes templates pointless and you cannot update individual clients when they subscribe (as i would need to commit my aftercare subscribed template to that customer).
i created an AfterCare_free client-id for the sole purpose of creating the generic installer for d7ii, so i didn't have to use an existing customers incase i'd missed any alterations made to the template. when i update the template, i commit it to the free client id and upload it.
is there a way to create the generic installer directly from a template?
.. ...
laplandz

Postby csc » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:38 am

is there a way to create the generic installer directly from a template?

Not directly no, but you can compile and upload a generic installer and find the file located on your desktop.
csc

Return to dSupportSuite Feature Suggestions