Required Client Data option

Post feature suggestions here for dSupportSuite (including dCloud / dCloud Self-Hosted and the dSupportSuite Management Console)
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. SEARCH THE FORUMS BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC.

Required Client Data option

Postby borkedpc » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:49 am

Would it be possible to have the option before compiling an installer in the Mgmt Console, say a checkbox or something, to require the Client Data (Name, Email, Phone) during installation?
This will be very handy for when I give out a trial of the software in those situations where I am unable to compile and send an installer with their info already in place.

A couple of examples (and marketing ideas):
- We have regular festivals where our street is closed. Flash drives and/or cd's handed out with the software during the festivals are handy.
- Our local paper allows cd inserts.
- Friends (our street team) would have this installed on all of their relatives/firends computers. (They're doing the work for us :D )

Those are just a few of many instances where my life would be made easier with this feature.

Thanks
Scott
borkedpc

Re: Required Client Data option

Postby borkedpc » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:56 am

Just a quick clarification, this is not to give away a free version. It's to be marketed as a free trial of the service. I don't want to suggest that the product is not worth paying for. It's amazing and giving it away without compensation is a disservice for us as technicians and to Nick for all of his hard work.

There are suggestions in the dSupportSuite Usage and Resale topic that goes into ways to do this.
viewforum.php?f=26

Thanks
Scott
borkedpc

Postby laplandz » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:21 am

Isn't that that "Open LITE config after installation" in the installer section of the template.

borkedpc wrote:Just a quick clarification, this is not to give away a free version. It's to be marketed as a free trial of the service. I don't want to suggest that the product is not worth paying for. It's amazing and giving it away without compensation is a disservice for us as technicians and to Nick for all of his hard work.

There are suggestions in the dSupportSuite Usage and Resale topic that goes into ways to do this.
viewforum.php?f=26

Thanks
Scott

Not sure how a free version is a negative or disservice, I give a free version away as an afterCare service for customers (with upgrade option to scheduled maintenance), I wouldn't be able to do that unless Nick had made it already.

Sent from Tapatalk
.. ...
I can walk on water, but I can’t perform miracles.
laplandz

Postby borkedpc » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:13 pm

Open Lite config after install doesn't require the filling out of the fields. I would like to see the ability to make it required. It definitely makes contacting someone easier when a report/heartbeat comes back with a problem. I have noticed that if you don't make it a required field people are more likely to skip fields. And I'm left with a report with a name and no contact info. Pretty useless and a waste of time for both the person who ran dSS and for me as I need to go through all the reports.

In regard to my comment on not giving away a free version and it being a disservice to techs: Anything we do as tech professionals should lead to getting compensated for our expertise. Nick deserves to get paid for his amazing program. We deserve to get paid (and paid well) for our ability to fix the messes that our clients make. Now maybe this is just a consequence of living in the northeast US but there are too many techs I've run across that will hustle someone for a quick $20 or whatever. They don't value the industry and make it harder for those of us who are professionals. If we are giving away a fully equipped utility such as dSS, we are shooting ourselves in the foot.
The uses of dSS are many but two examples are:
1. All of my clients get it for "Free" when I work on their computers. Of course, it's part of the cleanup price and part of their bill.
2. Using it as a business card to introduce them to our services by giving them a taste of what we can do for them as well as getting our name in front of them (and on their desktop). This should lead to a sale where the client gets a non-trial version of dSS through a cleanup or a maintenance contract, etc.
Everyone's use case will be different depending on your desired clientele.

So, yeah laplandz I'm in complete agreement with you about using it as an afterCare service. You were compensated for it. We do the same thing here.

Bottom line, don't give away the shop. You are valuable, your services are valuable, and you deserve to get paid for them.
And remember that "Jurassic Park" is an example of what happens when you don't pay your IT guy enough. :)
borkedpc

Return to dSupportSuite Feature Suggestions