suggestion:re Client ID's and Free downloads

Post feature suggestions here for dSupportSuite (including dCloud / dCloud Self-Hosted and the dSupportSuite Management Console)
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. SEARCH THE FORUMS BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC.

suggestion:re Client ID's and Free downloads

Postby vmhs » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:09 pm

Hi there.

I am trying to work this out, so excuse the rambling.

I am concerned about the fact that a client ID does not quite match up on a per PC basis and need to offer a suggestion.

Ideally for me, (especially with the multi pc clients as discussed in the d7II forum) their should be a second level to the client ID, maybe even 3

So can have

DRJames-pcname-dateinstalled

I can then apply a template to the Master account (customer), or any of the second level (individual machines). the 3rd level would only be for differentiating date of install and would help reduce duplicate client IDs.

Here is an idea for getting my foot in the door for new customers.

Ideally for me, I would like the customer name / name of the pc to become the client id when the generic installer is installed.

Process would be,

client downloads the generic installer from my site.

installs it.

it asks for name/ph/email (only), then automatically creates a client ID in the database called

%customer name% - %pc name% - %timestamp%

o - %customer name% = comes from the name supplied
      o - %pc name%= comes from the pc
      o - %timestamp% = some sort of randomisation to stop duplicate client ids from being created.

ANY client IDs created should utilise the "free/no frills" template, which would have prominent "UPGRADE NOW" branding taking to my payment gateway.

The idea being that if a customer pays, I can just apply the new template to their installation, and upgrade them over night :)

This would take care of the Free Version people are looking to distribute, and for me, it works because I would only have to distribute one binary, even to my paying customers, which would have it's features turned on after install.

This also avoids piracy of the "full Versions" because no full version is ever distributed.

Discuss. :)
vmhs

Re: suggestion:re Client ID's and Free downloads

Postby Techline2012 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:44 pm

I am looking to do something similar.

Did you ever make any progress with this?
Techline2012

Postby vmhs » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:26 pm

I now do it the other way.

I use the PCRT software for tracking repair work and sales.

Upon first checkin, each device is issued an asset number.

I use that asset number everywhere.

assetid - customername - pc

is the format I use.

This way, in pcrt, gfi-max, and d711 I use the same number, so that it makes tracking so much easier.

You will find that I was over thinking my plans here in this post.

I especially like the event logging feature where it sends an email every time something goes wrong.

I have had to disable the av scanner in there though, because people were turning off their machines overnight, and the scans would take place monday morning, absolutely hammering performance of the pc, making it unusable for an hour or 2.

So my basic usage is just to monitor eventlog and a shortened maintenance cycle - clean up browser cache etc. but no heavy lifting as it is just too resource intensive.
vmhs

Postby knight » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:01 am

vmhs wrote:I have had to disable the av scanner in there though, because people were turning off their machines overnight, and the scans would take place monday morning, absolutely hammering performance of the pc, making it unusable for an hour or 2.

So my basic usage is just to monitor eventlog and a shortened maintenance cycle - clean up browser cache etc. but no heavy lifting as it is just too resource intensive.

I wonder if there is a way to start the antivirus scan with a lower priority, IE "Low" priority, and, if done, how effective that would be. I'm not sure how well Windows actually listens to the Priority of a application.

Just a thought!
Knight.
I ate Santa's cookies.
knight

Postby bitznpcz » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:30 am

I think a2cmd.exe already allows this: "start /low a2cmd.exe" - not sure how reliable it is or how it affects performance though...
bitznpcz

Postby csc » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:22 am

If you're looking for a faster AV solution then use HitmanPro for your dSupportSuite scans. At $16 per client it is very affordable as an up sell, and you only need to buy a minimum of 10 licenses. It's a great deal!

http://www.surfright.nl/en/shop/business
csc

Return to dSupportSuite Feature Suggestions