SUGGESTION: ability to schedule scripts to auto run.

Post feature suggestions here for dSupportSuite (including dCloud / dCloud Self-Hosted and the dSupportSuite Management Console)
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. SEARCH THE FORUMS BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC.

SUGGESTION: ability to schedule scripts to auto run.

Postby vmhs » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:23 pm

I have customers that have simple to fix issues, that can be scripted.

for example an Ask toolbar remover.

What I want to do, is in the heartbeat, specify to the client that it needs to download script "removeAsktoolbar.cmd" from my ftp and execute it.

This way, when I get an alert from the client about certain scriptably (new word?) fiixable issues, I can push those out to be repaired automagically.

Even if we had a secret menu like the Buttons, where we click check boxes of scripts to run on next heartbeat, or next maintenance cycle. (ala autorun in d7II)

I am so tired right now, so excuse my incoherence.

Thanks
vmhs

Re: SUGGESTION: ability to schedule scripts to auto run.

Postby csc » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:00 pm

I generally include my scripts directly in the maintenance routine, and I instruct my customers that if they are having a problem it would be in their interest to run a maintenance routine before they call me. I think this could be best accomplished by including more than one maintenance routine but keep only one routine with scheduling abilities. Automatically running scripts every night could eventually prove itself to be problematic in the long run. Just imagine a customer who uses a laptop keeping their computer off for 3 days then having it attempt to run 3 times when the machine boots up, or a customer who routinely leaves their machine off at night will experience scripts being deployed every morning when they turn it on. I think that would annoy a lot of people, as some have needed to adjust to the weekly schedule already. I do agree the ability to script is awesome, but I would rather see it pushed as a custom application so it does not run automatically.
csc

Re: SUGGESTION: ability to schedule scripts to auto run.

Postby vmhs » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:58 am

Never mind. I just saw where that can be done. It's not quite what I wanted, but is workable.

Sent from my RM-821_apac_australia_new_zealand_304 using Tapatalk
vmhs

Return to dSupportSuite Feature Suggestions