OEM Preinstallation of dSupportSuite

Post feature suggestions here for dSupportSuite (including dCloud / dCloud Self-Hosted and the dSupportSuite Management Console)
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. SEARCH THE FORUMS BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC.

Re: OEM Preinstallation of dSupportSuite

Postby laplandz » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:28 pm

@Ray - are you referring to a "run-once" type config/template?

If i'm reading it correctly, you want to install a Template (not a clientID) as a generic installer which generates the ClientID upon launch, this ClientID is pre-set as per a unique identifier (in your case through PCRT as a Device ID)
You would than need to re-apply the client information (config lite) through a registry patch if the customer re-installs? This is the bit that confuses me, If the Template-generic-installer generates the same ClientID, wouldn't you receive an e-mail to say so? Thus allowing you to reg-patch the missing config lite details?

Am i miles off target here?
.. ...
I can walk on water, but I can’t perform miracles.
laplandz

Postby csc » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:50 pm

laplandz wrote:@Ray - are you referring to a "run-once" type config/template?

If i'm reading it correctly, you want to install a Template (not a clientID) as a generic installer which generates the ClientID upon launch, this ClientID is pre-set as per a unique identifier (in your case through PCRT as a Device ID)
You would than need to re-apply the client information (config lite) through a registry patch if the customer re-installs? This is the bit that confuses me, If the Template-generic-installer generates the same ClientID, wouldn't you receive an e-mail to say so? Thus allowing you to reg-patch the missing config lite details?

Am i miles off target here?

I just posted a big detailed list to address this point, and I used "submit" and it didn't seem to post at all. I'm going to type this out again, sorry if it is a double post I just can't find my first post.

1. Boot the brand new PC (out of the box) to WinPE using PXE.
2. In WinPE, use my OS selector to configure the installation type (picture attached)
3. The computer boots into "Audit Mode" and selects everything automatically (oem themes, activation, tweaks, drivers, updates, apps)
4. The technician has a moment now to customize the computer for the client. This step is the manual installation process of dSupportSuite.
5. The computer is resealed, turned off, and placed on the shelf for resale. Recovery media is created for the customer to return the computer to the same state.
6. The customer will turn it on, it will display "please wait while your computer turns on the first time" and it will have the default windows prompt for username, password, wifi password, ect.
7. Now dSupportSuite finalizes the installation, along with all the other scripts I included. This is the first time it pings the dCloud.

So to relate this back to dSupportSuite, during Step 4 the technician will use the generic installer with the /opk or the /preinstall switch. dSupportSuite will prompt for the unique client ID. This is where I enter the asset tag. It will NOT prompt for the name, phone and email because I don't know who I am selling the machine to yet. dSupportSuite will PREINSTALL so it will NOT send the "New Install" email, and it will not register in the dCloud. For all intents and purposes, assume that for some strange reason there is no Internet for Step 4. It will be an offline installation which will connect to the internet during Step 7. Once the customer has the machine in their hands, I will update their asset tag to the appropriate template and I will include a reg file for Name, Email and Phone. If I do not do this, and that information is not found within the Client ID it will prompt the customer once.

@vmhs - Not quite, I do not want to install a template I want to preinstall a client ID. It will not "generate" the Client ID, I will enter it manually during step 4. I want this to be the only manual part of the installation process. You are correct that I would reg-patch the missing config lite details, which would be stored on the dCloud, and applied during the first launch.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (7.98 KiB) Viewed 5320 times
csc

Postby laplandz » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:02 pm

csc wrote:
1. Boot the brand new PC (out of the box) to WinPE using PXE.
2. In WinPE, use my OS selector to configure the installation type (picture attached)
3. The computer boots into "Audit Mode" and selects everything automatically (oem themes, activation, tweaks, drivers, updates, apps)
4. The technician has a moment now to customize the computer for the client. This step is the manual installation process of dSupportSuite.
5. The computer is resealed, turned off, and placed on the shelf for resale. Recovery media is created for the customer to return the computer to the same state.
6. The customer will turn it on, it will display "please wait while your computer turns on the first time" and it will have the default windows prompt for username, password, wifi password, ect.
7. Now dSupportSuite finalizes the installation, along with all the other scripts I included. This is the first time it pings the dCloud.

So to relate this back to dSupportSuite, during Step 4 the technician will use the generic installer with the /opk or the /preinstall switch. dSupportSuite will prompt for the unique client ID. This is where I enter the asset tag. It will NOT prompt for the name, phone and email because I don't know who I am selling the machine to yet. dSupportSuite will PREINSTALL so it will NOT send the "New Install" email, and it will not register in the dCloud. For all intents and purposes, assume that for some strange reason there is no Internet for Step 4. It will be an offline installation which will connect to the internet during Step 7. Once the customer has the machine in their hands, I will update their asset tag to the appropriate template and I will include a reg file for Name, Email and Phone. If I do not do this, and that information is not found within the Client ID it will prompt the customer once.

@vmhs - Not quite, I do not want to install a template I want to preinstall a client ID. It will not "generate" the Client ID, I will enter it manually during step 4. I want this to be the only manual part of the installation process. You are correct that I would reg-patch the missing config lite details, which would be stored on the dCloud, and applied during the first launch.

lol, that makes much more sense, should have said that in the first place :o :twisted: :shock: :P

I'm liking it, i reckon i could get some "mileage" too. A "sleeping config"... of sorts.
.. ...
I can walk on water, but I can’t perform miracles.
laplandz

Postby csc » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:04 pm

This would also be a GREAT way to know when the customer is using the recovery media I create for them!
csc

Postby vmhs » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:06 am

Roy you are a legend. what a great idea.

so, why not have it run config lite on OOBE? - dont ask for new client ID, just ask for name,phone,email

you could even create a script to run on heartbeat, that calls dss with the new stuff that Nick has provided at the top of this post.
vmhs

Postby vmhs » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:40 am

vmhs wrote:you could even create a script to run on heartbeat, that calls dss with the new stuff that Nick has provided at the top of this post.

Although, this would require the old "Run Once" thing I wanted.
vmhs

Postby csc » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:01 am

Sometimes it's best to revisit old ideas when they become part of the bigger picture. I also agree, it should run on OOBE but that presents the following problem (and for now I have not been running it). To run a GUI that is presented to the customer:

1. OOBE.cmd CANNOT be used. Just don't try.
2. SetupComplete.cmd can be used and will be executed AFTER the user enters username, password, wifi password, ect. (my unattend.xml only asks these three) but is not always the best time because a customer will feel like they have to wait to enter it in (which could take a long time) and it could take a long time to finish after they do so. This is not a good choice for customer experience concerns.
3. A start up file which self deletes can be used, but it will also run for every user that is created on that computer (when configured in audit mode) so it needs to be done sparingly.

I use a combination of the above three because I have a rather intricate automated system that is set up so I have to be picky. Here's how I think dSupporSuite could be set up to co-operate with this type of installation (considered to be the recommended installation btw....you're supposed to give your customers the OOBE, hence the point of it):

1. If a registry entry exists (which perhaps I import with a reg file before I install dSupportSuite - this could become a standard tweak I install on every computer by default) then the field will be populated with the value already set. So if name, email and phone are set then they will appear within the config lite page during the setup process.
2. Similar to the first, if the Client ID is already populated within the registry then the generic installer will not prompt, and will continue using the information already imported.
3. "Audit Mode" has a different standardized registry switch which can be referenced by the application to understand the type of installation it should perform. The application should "know" when it is Audit mode and apply the /opk switch automatically. It should then automatically know when the computer is considered to be finalized (in an OOBE state) and then it will execute any relevant one time run commands. To do this requires a simple query of the registry and works on every computer Vista+. These commands will be run AFTER the user connects to their WiFi network.

@vmhs - Yes it is similar to the Run Once thing, but there's a key difference. The Run Once thing wouldn't quite be enough in this situation, and many companies pre-package OPK setups for you. I would have to make my own OPK setup still even if this was done. Also, I think the run once stuff should be determined by Nick and not customized. Just use another installer but perhaps that isn't an option for you.
csc

Postby vmhs » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:15 am

My goodness.

this is way complicated for me.

My advice?

buy screenconnect - set it to install on first boot, or even install on Pre-image.

Once installed, you have command line access to the end user. costs you $300 or so (ask me for a referall, I can make 10$)

Then you can install what you wish using a combination of bitsadmin and scripting foo
vmhs

Postby csc » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:30 am

@vmhs - As dSupportSuite advances, it would benefit from providing similar functionality.
csc

Postby csc » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:55 am

bump* - Any thoughts Nick?

This has been a long forum, I'm referring to a type of offline installation for dSupportSuite where the Asset tag can be set.

Thanks,
Ray
csc

PreviousNext

Return to dSupportSuite Feature Suggestions