HTML messaging inclusion

Post feature suggestions here for dSupportSuite (including dCloud / dCloud Self-Hosted and the dSupportSuite Management Console)
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. SEARCH THE FORUMS BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC.

HTML messaging inclusion

Postby laplandz » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:53 pm

This is more Ray's (user:csc) idea (please see http://foolishtech.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2049), and have been thinking about the possibilities of an area for custom-HTML messages, some of the things i can think of are:

promotions such as discounted software, hardware etc
messages such as "tell-a-friend-get-a-rebate" etc..
subscription is ending, renew now!!

i was also thinking that this could be placed where the "full-length rectangle logo" would go, it's fairly limited in space but enough for us to display info as suggested. even better if it could be slider that showed after 5-10 seconds.
.. ...
I can walk on water, but I can’t perform miracles.
laplandz

Re: HTML messaging inclusion

Postby vmhs » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:00 am

+1

you could even just make it an iframe or something that allows us to throw banners at it from our websites.

This way, we could change contents just by changing our web pages (allows for joomla slideshows etc)
vmhs

Postby laplandz » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:14 pm

vmhs wrote:+1

you could even just make it an iframe or something that allows us to throw banners at it from our websites.

This way, we could change contents just by changing our web pages (allows for joomla slideshows etc)

exactly what I was thinking

Sent from my ForwardXtreme using Tapatalk
.. ...
I can walk on water, but I can’t perform miracles.
laplandz

Postby Nick » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:05 am

noted!

will take some work and come later, but I love the idea. here is my note on it:

embed webbrowser control options:
• to website, or local html inside dSS client window, maybe do a default to local if not online.
• custom header area (above systeminfo frame) and possibly lower left details area.
• custom button action (to take over entire right display area: systeminfo frame + header)
• consider embedding full browser, explore options to use default (at least Chrome/FF) vs. just IE
• usage: promotions/purchase info/button (on free copies)/social media buttons/etc. via updating a page on their website

Of course there is one slight issue. the way I present a browser inside the app is by using a control that accesses a single IE .dll for the rendering functionality. The intent being that there is zero bloat and no chance of pre-loaded extensions/add-ons or even any real browser technologies being utilized, so malicious software or just plain broken components cannot ruin the experience. The side effect of not allowing most web stuff to 'work' is that of course, most web stuff won't work, so chances are you may get some site display issues, but surely the odds are some "script errors" and other things will pop up.

Ideally I need to investigate at least stopping the script error prompts. That is my preference. If not, I have seen methods of embedding a fully functional browser inside an application window, and maybe that is a better option at least for certain usage cases, like this one.
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby csc » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:33 pm

I think one of the most important things to include in the HTML box is enough room to post something they might share on facebook or twitter, and leave enough room for the "share on facebook / share on twitter" icons as well. We should think about how the HTML box will ping back to the company website. I would love to be able to place a specific HTML code for a specific individual. If their account has not been paid up, their HTML box changes to inform them of that (which is specific for them).
csc

Return to dSupportSuite Feature Suggestions