Email Reminder, like Show Reminder

Post feature suggestions here for dSupportSuite (including dCloud / dCloud Self-Hosted and the dSupportSuite Management Console)
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. SEARCH THE FORUMS BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC.

Email Reminder, like Show Reminder

Postby Marshall » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:47 am

Could we get an option to recieve an email if dSS has not ran maintenance on a system after 29 days?

I like the current method where it alerts the customer, but sometimes people don't know what to do, or they don't take the time to contact you. Letting me know when there is outdated system helps to not only stay in contact with people who don't regularly use their computer (pretty important if you want to keep making money off of them), and it ensures good quality assurance in that you can then run maintenance on their system.
Help Me With My Computer Tech
IT Services & IT Consulting Services In Southern IL and St. Louis MO
Marshall

Re: Email Reminder, like Show Reminder

Postby Nick » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:08 am

It wasn't long ago I completely disabled that local reminder due to complications with it ALWAYS showing up on system start. too many issues with doing that, I never did get them all solved. Largest issue was that the reminder popped up every time Windows started even if you told it to never remind you again. Secondary issues included antivirus/malware detection and removal of the startup setting and/or the reminder stub app.

It would be far less prone to issue if it emailed you when it is 'doing something' as opposed to when it is NOT doing something. it would almost have to be done with heartbeat (which would need to be enabled, even if the actual heartbeat email was disabled) but that would leave a lot of room for a lot of redundant emails. that will require some thought.
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby osigoldman » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:19 am

Yes, maintenance reminders is something what I totally miss in dSS. With dSupport it worked so well (or did some people have issues here?).
Wish you could manage it to work with dSS.
osigoldman

Postby Marshall » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:04 am

I had a lot of problems with the maintenance reminders.

If they were to be added back in, I would prefer to see it as an email reminder to the tech (me).
This would be an absolutely useful feature too if you are providing service plans to customers that don't include labor based maintenance fees. Lets face it, when a system goes haywire and stops reporting with dSS, you simply don't know it right now. The only alternative at that point is to periodically contact your customers to see how they're doing, or to wait for their call.

How sound is the idea to have the email sent out by the client system? Not really in my opinion. It needs to be logged on the server, and then if the server detects that it breaches a previously set threshold "has not performed maintenance in 15 days", or "dSS has not reported in, within 24 hours", then it sends an alert to the tech.
This feature may not be possible with the current server setup. I think it would require a more advanced database and server side applications, sql, etc.
Help Me With My Computer Tech
IT Services & IT Consulting Services In Southern IL and St. Louis MO
Marshall

Return to dSupportSuite Feature Suggestions