A timer for hung or waiting application

Post feature suggestions here for dSupportSuite (including dCloud / dCloud Self-Hosted and the dSupportSuite Management Console)
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. SEARCH THE FORUMS BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC.

A timer for hung or waiting application

Postby synapse » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:50 pm

Is a timer for hung or waiting application something that can be implemented in dss? I've noted that with some dss installation maintenance don't finish because there are application (many times patchmypc) that wait for an answer on some update installation and maintenance don't complete its jobs. Today i've found a pc that don't complete maintenance because patchmypc was updating utorrent and utorrent was waiting for an answer. I can exclude utorrent by patchmypc.reg but i don't know all programs installed on my clients pc so it's hard to set a correct .reg for patchmypc. Another example is jrt when found a bad module, in this case want a reboot (and maintenance don't continue). So i think that if is possible to have a max time for application to run (when time pass next application start) would be useful for maintenance to complete everytime
synapse

Re: A timer for hung or waiting application

Postby tbigs2012 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:21 pm

+1000 :D
tbigs2012

Postby Xander » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:54 pm

You could also implement a batch file that does a taskkill command for those softwares that you know cause that lockup. Skype was also known to be a problem.
Xander

Postby Nick » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:27 pm

I can do this. My question is, how long is too long to wait? it would have to be plenty of time if for example you were running a virus scan.... 30 minutes, one hour?
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby synapse » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:56 pm

Nick wrote:I can do this. My question is, how long is too long to wait? it would have to be plenty of time if for example you were running a virus scan.... 30 minutes, one hour?

Well, what i hate is to see pc that don't complete maintenance because there are pending operation. Generally is patchmypc that block maintenance because try to update software that found in the pc (today same situation in a pc where pmp has tried to update avast and avast waiting for an answer). The best solution would be to implement the possibility to choice if and how (like you have done for prompt to stop restart after maintenance) put a time limit
synapse

Postby synapse » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:21 pm

Xander wrote:You could also implement a batch file that does a taskkill command for those softwares that you know cause that lockup. Skype was also known to be a problem.

Your solution would be useful if we know all the software installed on all client pc. My patchmypc.reg file has more limitation for soft that could cause block, like you have said skype but i can't block soft that i don't know if exist.
I think that if i'll be able to sell more subscriptions i'll leave pmp for ninite pro that seems to be more efficently and useful (and permit to upgrade soft in my language)
Dss is a great product, i'm enthusiastic of it and I do everything to convince my clients to sign an annual contract and when the seller believes the product is easier to convince others
I spend many time to better understood how dss work, how we can suggest improvment to optimize the suite to arrive to sell by itself. My target is 1000 subscription ;) now i have about 30/40 client :D
synapse

Postby Xander » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:29 am

Not necessary hard at all. You only need to worry about apps that you know cause the lockup and/or apps that PMP updates.

taskkill /im utorrent.exe
taskkill /im skype.exe

If you want to throw in others, easy-peasy. This deals with the problem (apps causing the lockup) and not the symptom of the lockup itself.
Xander

Postby synapse » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:45 pm

Ok Xander, what you say is correct and is a think i can do but my worry is: the batch file has to be imported with patchmypc.reg but when it is executed? because if dss start the batch before pmp arrived to that upgrade i haven't solved nothing (pmp check for installed apps i suppose and start them to upgrade so when the app prompt for an answer and the batch has just done its work?) This step is not clare to me
synapse

Postby Xander » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:17 pm

Set it up as a separate task of its own. Throw it in a Dropbox or somewhere where you can assign it its own URL for download (to allow for updates).
Run that separate task just before PMP would run.
Xander

Postby Xander » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:20 pm

Incidentally (and I had to check my memory on this), PMP *does* have a checkbox in its settings for "Kill programs that conflict with updates". I do *not* know if this gets reflected in the .reg file.
Xander

Next

Return to dSupportSuite Feature Suggestions