support by USB

Discuss marketing/selling dSupportSuite and your monitoring/maintenance plans and strategies; also share your usage / configuration tips for dSupportSuite here, or ask the community for theirs.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.

support by USB

Postby laplandz » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:31 am

i am thinking about giving away flash drives to subscribed customers (our logo, etc on side). that can be used for example, when client wants support via remote or to start some repair options off.

what i am wondering, is it feasible or possible to integrate dSS into this, i wouldn't be installing dSS to the stick, it would still be local but the autorun of the flash drive would bring up something similar to the "Simple UI" where a few buttons are presented and would allow the client to start dSS, launch remote support, etc.

the idea behind this, i'd like to put a few programs on the flash, backup things like reg hives and possibly use it as a report storage area, so if/when the customer has to bring the machine in for repair, they bring the flash drive and i can have any details instantly to hand.

The hurdles to jump over would be things like protecting it, getting the reports/quarantine items to it. Getting dSS to somehow update it with new software or promotional coupons, tutorial guides or misc. files, etc. (thinking the update could be an option on the autorun dialog so drive letters could be recognised).

this is just a concept idea at present and would like to know what others think of it, 8gb, 16gb and even 32gb flash drives are relatively cheap at the moment and getting them branded wouldn't be expensive as well.
.. ...
I can walk on water, but I can’t perform miracles.
laplandz

Re: support by USB

Postby csc » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:21 am

I wouldn't recommend running dSS from a USB drive, but that is an interesting concept. dSS should be run locally, with reports emailed to you. Eventually FTP Report integration will be added, and this would be the most efficient way to do it. Still do the USB idea, but don't put dSS on it. It sounds like dMaintenance would be better suited for you.
csc

Postby laplandz » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:29 am

i agree with not installing dSS to the stick, i did mention that i wouldn't be installing it to the drive. the idea with the stick is when the customer plugs it in, an Autorun dialogue appears to allow things like remote support to start via a script (start the service, launch an app etc). the customer would also have some interaction with running some general maintenance or start reading a pdf tutorial for example all of which could be contained within the stick.
.. ...
I can walk on water, but I can’t perform miracles.
laplandz

Postby csc » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:33 am

It would be easier to include those PDF tutorials as custom applications in dSupportSuite which download from a web link, or are included in the 3rd Party Apps directory.
csc

Return to dSupportSuite Usage and Resale Tips & Strategies