How much to charge clients

Discuss marketing/selling dSupportSuite and your monitoring/maintenance plans and strategies; also share your usage / configuration tips for dSupportSuite here, or ask the community for theirs.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.

How much to charge clients

Postby Darc » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:30 pm

Hello all,

I'm looking for a ballpark figure of how much to charge clients for monitoring their it systems. Say I install dsupportsuite on a server and five pc,s in a small business - how much per month would be a ball park figure to charge a business of this size?

Thanks Darc
Darc

Re: How much to charge clients

Postby Marshall » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:29 pm

Hello Darc,

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum for that question, perhaps the Business forums would be a better place.

All the same there are multiple points to consider when developing your price model for your business. Google has tons of great content to provide you with the path that works best for you. Also bear in mind that new services are always becoming available as the internet manages to swallow up more and more sales every year. You need to know what market, local or otherwise, that's going to be your customer audience, and develop all services and prices for those people.

What you need to know before making a decision...

Are you developing your pricing model based on your own audit's for time spent to perform tasks, overhead for software, employee costs, etc.?
Are you developing your pricing model off of competitors prices?

If you want to develop your prices based on statistics you may not like what you find. This however is a very accurate method for determining cost effectiveness of providing a service, and how much profit you will actually retain.
You first need to determine a great number of factors, all of which I will not mention here. What are your costs as a business: Software overhead, Insurance, Employee payroll, Annual services that keep you in business like certifications, Partnership costs, etc. Once you have all your numbers together you'll have to do a bit of math to determine how much money you need to make every year to ensure you stay in business. Project how much you want to make yourself, and any business profits that won't be touched (used for advancing your business, etc.), and you're on your way to discovering just how much it costs to stay in business. I would advise talking to an accountant, or another professional who could handle this kind of request easily, as they will most likely know many more "in's and out's" to keep in mind while discovering how to charge for services. This is a common approach for many businesses, but I don't think it's the best method for a small office just starting out. I would advise you to spend time getting to know your current customer base, and asking them how much they would pay for the services you have in mind.

If you want to undercut your competitors I have a few opinions.
I believe undercutting is not always the solution, as a quality service can sustain itself in a market all on it's own. People may associate your price cuts with your competitors as a cheap way to do business. Your prices at a glance will infer an understanding of your business image as a whole. $20 to completely repair a pc will always sound and look cheap. $400 for complete warranty repairs and 24/7 coverage will always make people know you mean serious business. Bearing these facts in mind, tread carefully when basing prices off of your competitors. This is the method I started my business with, but have since moved away from it as business has grown.

There are ton's of great online apps that can help you keep track of your information. I strongly recommend you do some searching for online survey app's like surveymonkey. I believe it's crucial to know what your customers want to buy, before you try to sell something to them. You may end up undercutting yourself, or providing too much when it is not required.

I hope this is of some use to you.
Help Me With My Computer Tech
IT Services & IT Consulting Services In Southern IL and St. Louis MO
Marshall

Postby Darc » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:42 pm

Thank you for your very conprehensive reply. I have accounting training and take on board everthing you say here. There is always the fear of losing out because of price but in actual fact you lose out anyway - well at least that is in my experience so you are absolutely right and I will take this thing by the horns and wrestle with it. It reminds me of a story about an old guy that was on his death bed lamenting that the universe will pay you what you ask for and he only ever asked for pennies. Thanks again :)
Darc

Postby tgaume » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:20 pm

Several threads along the same lines, but this seems like the best one to post my solution.

I give DSS away for free. The free config is very scaled down and does a light cleaning (Cleanmgr, idle task (utils included in windows)), and does a a2cmd scan only and emails me if anything is detected. When I receive the email that something is detected I contact the customer and offer to remotely clean the machine (for $25). I then use a different (fully enabled) profile in DSS that does a more thorough job then reset the client to the free profile, or I use D7 if I need to unload both barrels on it. I have a 3 concurrent session simple help license that makes it easy to get connected to the remote machine via the DSS remote button in the free app. The free version also does not run silently, every chance I can they see my logo or website when it runs once a week during business hours.

I also sell it as a service with customized configs for the client for a monthly charge of $2 to $5 per machine depending on the number of machines running their personal config. These configs run silently after business hours, or at a convenient time they request.

Currently have a total of 62 machines on the paid plan, and 114 with the free profile. I get 8-12 positive results per week from the free installs that result in a remote session for cleaning.
tgaume

Postby Darc » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:59 am

Now here's a man with the right stuff! Thanks for the free/paid suggestion - I like that model and will put it into action.
Thank you. Sorry so long in reply but been away.
Darc :)
Darc

Postby Nick » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:24 pm

tgaume wrote:Currently have a total of 62 machines on the paid plan, and 114 with the free profile. I get 8-12 positive results per week from the free installs that result in a remote session for cleaning.

Not only is that a very interesting model, but very interesting results! I'm glad to see that the free model is bringing you in remote removal sessions, very slick!

The a2cmd you mentioned reports all of this? that's excellent. But do you use (and have received a report from) MS security essentials / windows defender scans which are available in more recent dSupportSuite configs (on the maintenance page)? I just wonder if that is doing anything in real world scenarios or if it is largely a waste of time if a2cmd is doing it all.
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby Raza159 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:20 am

Not done it for DSS yet but I like gocardless for recurring payments, they are a lot cheaper than paypal but you can still create a link to put on your website.....,
ali
Raza159

Postby hubzone37 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:36 pm

I use mine like TGAUME I have 23 paid subscribers that I charge $10 a month and use RepairShopr to send out the month invoices so its easy to keep up., and then I have to free one that I have set in simple mode with the big buttons (Email, Support App, Maintenance, Windows Updates.) The free one does a quick scan once a week and then I have it open the completion page on my website.. just to brand my company name to them. To me a2cmd has too many positive results. RepairShopr next to the D programs I have is great, send text to your customer and automated email follow ups.
hubzone37

Postby mrapoc » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:32 am

http://freshpcs.co.uk/supportsuite is my current pricing plan I'm aiming for residentials
mrapoc

Return to dSupportSuite Usage and Resale Tips & Strategies