New dSS user

Discuss marketing/selling dSupportSuite and your monitoring/maintenance plans and strategies; also share your usage / configuration tips for dSupportSuite here, or ask the community for theirs.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.

New dSS user

Postby nikolaosp » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:22 pm

Hey people,

We just bought dSS after using d7 for a year trying to take advantage of the pool of satisfied customers we have so far by automating maintenance, keeping their pc's in good condition under a subscription model.
Have created a " default" template to install on every pc that I put my hands on that is supposed to be just the business card. Just my logos, details, telephone, store hours, email and remote control session starter. No maintenance.
Question, should I create a client ID for every pc? Thinking of using the PCRT id, would that be a good practice?
So what's next? Create a template that has full functionality and assigning this to the subscribers?
I have been testing pushing Chang's to clients. The altlang is not reaching the client. Every time my translations are not there. I am using ftp btw. Have configured the client to connect and check for changes in the config every time I run it.

Have more questions but I really want to see how you guys use and config dSS and integrate in your system. How do you use d7 to deploy it? Oh, and something else, can we brand the uac prompt (says foolishit) and the executable file name?

Thanks in advance,
nikolaosp

Στάλθηκε από το HTC One μου
nikolaosp

Re: New dSS user

Postby vmhs » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:10 pm

Many of us all had the same questions when we started.

I personally make one for each machine it gets installed on, and include:

1. A customer name or other easily identifiable word so I know whose machine it is.
and
2. the Asset ID from my PCRT install. makes easier to find individual PC in my pcrt software.
vmhs

Postby knight » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:57 am

I created 2 different generic templates, then I created 1 new client with the "basic" template. I named the templates "Generic Installer - Basic", and "Generic Installer - Subscriber". Then I created 1 generic installer based off the "Generic Installer - Basic" client. You can't create a generic installer based off a template, it has to be based off a client.

The Basic gets installed on everyone's machines. Once the installer does its install it asks me for the client ID. I use the same ID that is used by my tracking software, then I put their name next to it. So, it generally is similiar to: "00402 - John Doe Acer Aspire One". Keep in mind, it will drop all case, which is annoying, but understandable (linux/unix cares about case, and generally FTP servers are linux/unix based. Though if Nick made a simple database instead of filenames for the database it wouldn't be needed, in addition it would make "renaming" much easier, but that's a side rant.) Everyone gets installed with the basic installer. Later, when I get back to my shop, I click on the clients ID, then click on the "Generic Installer - Subscriber" template, and copy the template over to the clients that are subscribers. Next time they open up the software, it'll update (make sure you set that setting!) and then they are now subscribers. This also makes it really easy to drop someone back down to basic support, just do the same but with the basic template.

Once you have created your "Generic Installer" based off the "Generic Installer - Basic" client you can delete the "Generic Installer - Basic" client, but keep the template.

Keep in mind, you can't easily (read: basically not possible) change the client ID remotely.

nikolaosp wrote:How do you use d7 to deploy it?

I created a 3rd party app based off the Generic Installer - Basic Client listed above. There are command line options to make this install silent.

nikolaosp wrote:Oh, and something else, can we brand the uac prompt (says foolishit)

See here:

https://www.foolishit.com/tech-info/foo ... re-readme/
and
https://www.foolishit.com/digital-code- ... t-a-chore/

Not sure I would include Remote Support on my Basic. Customers may see this option, and assume that it's a free service. On the subscribers template, sure. Keep in mind, if you do need Remote Support, you can always push a special template temporarily that does include the options desired.

Knight.
I ate Santa's cookies.
knight

Postby nikolaosp » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:58 pm

Thanks a lot for your input guys!
Spent the last couple of days playing with it and I ended up using a similar (same more or less) system to the one knight uses. I just put the remote control button active since I want to have an easy way connecting to the client.
BTW the new screenconnect (5.0) lets you build a screenconnector exe that you can use to initiate a session client-side. Anyone who uses SC will find this useful! I am still not sure if it will work 100% since it is an exe you are downloading but so far so good on my tests.
I have a problem with missing heartbeats though. I have set it to send me a heartbeat at 10 am every day (subscriber or not) and include a list of newly installed apps since the last heartbeat, in order to have gmail (the mail I am receiving mail from dSS) search for crap like "conduit" etc in the heartbeat report and flag me the client so I can sell them easier the subscription. Why am I missing heartbeats though, I don't know...
Also, another question. dUninstaller. We have d7ii, loving the implementation of it in d7ii. How do we enable it in dSS? Do we have to buy a standalone dUninstaller lincence? What happens with definitions, blacklists etc?

On the maintenance side of dSS I have checked the default custom apps and they seem quite logical but would you recommend something more? I was thinking JRT to get rid of the junk... Will try it on mine actually, see how it goes.

And another thing, automatic dCloud update does not "cause major startup delay". I think it is an exaggeration. Using my FTP and not dCloud so I suspect it has to do with the speed of my line.

Thanks a lot for your input again!
nikolaosp
nikolaosp

Postby knight » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:35 am

nikolaosp wrote:And another thing, automatic dCloud update does not "cause major startup delay". I think it is an exaggeration. Using my FTP and not dCloud so I suspect it has to do with the speed of my line.

I totally agree that it doesn't seem to add much of a delay to the start up, pretty minimal. However, I haven't tested to see what would happen if the clients internet connection is going wonky. o.O

nikolaosp wrote:Thanks a lot for your input again!

My pleasure. It took me a bit of fiddling to figured things out, and I'm sure it'll be the same for you. I STILL haven't distributed it to a client yet. Just distributing to VM's and family machines.

Knight.
I ate Santa's cookies.
knight

Return to dSupportSuite Usage and Resale Tips & Strategies