Server Usage

Discuss marketing/selling dSupportSuite and your monitoring/maintenance plans and strategies; also share your usage / configuration tips for dSupportSuite here, or ask the community for theirs.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.

Server Usage

Postby Marshall » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:19 am

Ok so up until this point I had not really attempted to run dSS on a Server.

I'm finding it to be a bit rough going, and I'm really not sure that I will be able to use it the way I want to. Here is why.

Nick pointed out in this thread, and here, that there are a few known issues with running on a Server.

The first I ran into was that whoops I hadn't actually configured my custom apps properly!
Error level 256 as Nick states, usually occurs when your custom apps are not configured to run on a Server platform. Ok got that fixed.

The second issue I ran into was that many of my custom apps download via Internet Explorer. Most Servers have IE ESC enabled.
Now I will admit Servers are not my thing. That being said here is what I have found about IE ESC.
This guy's post suggests that most admin's don't suggest allowing Admin access to a browser on your Server (makes sense right), but that if you do want to be able to use IE easier there are a few ways to disable IE ESC, as listed in his post here.

Now I am of the opinion that I do not want anyone using a browser on the Servers I manage. I also don't want to open up a hole in security, just to allow dSS to possibly patch another hole. So what to do??

I already know my customer doesn't want to spend/is not able to spend more money on another service, so I can't change to another application for patching and reporting.

I'm not sure how to configure dSS to circumvent issues with IE ESC while it's enabled to allow it to download properly. I am going to have to assume here that I would have to whitelist all of the download locations for my custom apps, add firewall exclusions, and change group policy.

Does anyone have suggestions?
Help Me With My Computer Tech
IT Services & IT Consulting Services In Southern IL and St. Louis MO
Marshall

Return to dSupportSuite Usage and Resale Tips & Strategies