dSS & d7x Integration

Support and discussion for d7x PC Technician's Productivity Tool
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. When posting for help, include d7x version, OS details, and steps to reproduce the issue.
3. Start a new topic for a new problem, don't just post on existing topics that are NOT your EXACT problem.
4. SEARCH THE FORUMS BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC.

dSS & d7x Integration

Postby Psychlone » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:33 pm

Hey Nick.

Since you incorporated a dSS installer for us in d7x a while back, I've been installing it on customer's computers but I've run into a couple different things that I'm probably just missing, and I have some requests.

So the part that I seem to be missing is where the dSS shortcut on the customer's desktop gets it's icon from and it's name.
I'd like to be able to name the shortcut that gets put on the users desktop to "Psychlone Support", but "Name of dSupportSuite (Required)" doesn't change this, it only changes the title bar of the app when it runs. This is what I would consider "the obvious place" to change this, but it's not.
Same with the icon that is left on the desktop during install - it always defaults to your icon, even though I've got it set to mine and even after rebooting the computer (and I've specifically reused my own icon in the proper format from d7x) - this leads into request #2
What am I doing wrong with my config that I can't change the name and the shortcut icon in the config? It gets very tiresome installing dSS via the current way as well as having to change the name and icon manually.

The following requests should be pretty simple but obviously revolves around if other people would use these features or find them useful. I know I would, but I understand that majority rules. I hope the majority likes these ideas:

Request 1. Can you give us a way to call the dSS installer via the End Session tab? It would be super convenient to have it run via a checkmark in the appropriate box rather than Main > OS:Install/Configure dSS on every machine.
Request 2. Would it be possible to clear up the verbiage on what exactly the different icon and logo sections are doing in the dSS config? (as per my frustrations in trying to figure out how to get the config to change to my own icon for the shortcut left on the computer's desktop)
I understand (because of the clarification next to it) that "Application Icon" shows up in the top left corner and in the Windows Taskbar, but where does "Small Logo" show? This would be the obvious place for me to look to change the icon for the desktop shortcut but...
Request 2a. Can you please give us a way to use our own icon for the dSS shortcut?

Last, a potential bug is shown on every computer I've run dSS on: Automatic Updates ALWAYS shows Disabled and System Restore sometimes shows Disabled when they're not.
Forgive me though Nick, I haven't had the time to follow up and search to see if this is expected behavior or if you knew about it or whatnot.

Thanks for reading and for whatever you're about to say!
Light in the absence of eyes illuminates nothing.
Psychlone

Re: dSS & d7x Integration

Postby Nick » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:53 pm

I'm going to see what I can do about your requests.

There are two types of dSS (dSupportSuite), one is now (recently) included with d7x as you know, but the full product is a separate purchase. The full dSS product that you purchase comes with the dSupportSuite Mgmt Console, which will among other things create a customized setup/installer EXE with your config. The d7x version uses a generic setup/installer, and copies your config over after install.

Basically the reason the shortcut icon doesn't appear as expected is because this dSS setting is used not only for the program itself, but also for the dSS setup/installer, and the installer itself is what creates the desktop shortcut.

This is one of several other installer related settings that are only processed when you create a custom installer with the full version of dSS. In fact there are a number of things in dSS config which don't make sense with the d7x version of dSS, and d7x does not show you which settings do and don't. Getting all that sorted out is still on my plate for another time.

About the shortcut though, I should be able to re-create this with d7x itself after the generic installer finishes. Of course it wouldn't be anything to put an install checkbox on the End Session tab. Stay tuned.
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby Nick » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:32 pm

The shortcut icon issue is taken care of for the next version of d7x, and it will update the shortcut icons (desktop and start menu) after install, or anytime you extract the dSS config. I'm also updating the shortcuts to be named as the "Name of dSupportSuite (Required):" field on the first page of config.

End Session: didn't do this yet, but should get it in. there is a screen real estate issue I need to face. also it will take two options, one to install and one to set client details.

Logos: just re-reading this and I wanted to clarify the logos.

* Main interface logo is self-explanatory.

* the small logo is shown on some various screens like the download progress display, the cancel prompt before maintenance, the maintenance display, and the display when the app is updating itself. this logo is optional; without it there is NO logo displayed.

* the splash screen logo has those two options (when windows loads, when the app loads) and is only used for those two checked options. there really is no point in a startup splash screen for the app, but some people I have seen check off the option to start with Windows (only) and then have a really big logo that also says something like "this PC is supported and maintained by..." or similar, so that displays whenever Windows loads.

Nick
Site Admin

Postby Nick » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:22 pm

d7x v19.4.19 with these changes has been released!

Nick
Site Admin

Postby Psychlone » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:39 pm

As always, YOU REIGN.
I really appreciate you taking care of this even though it appears it's just a "me" thing that not everyone else wanted.

I also appreciate the clarification on the different dSS versions - I had no idea. I remembered you used to sell dSS but I never got into it until you offered it for us d7x subscribers.
Also appreciated is the clarification for the different icons. After trying several things and failing to do what I thought I was doing I gave up doing my own thinking and asked the Master.

I could have just added "Support Suite" to these couple things I have in my own cmd and vbs code and had them change it, but I thought that this would be a thing that other d7x users might want in their d7x.

My code is below. I had some help from Xide at one point a few years back with the html file that my cmd calls.

This first code drops all the icons and links into the reports directory on the customer's computer.
Psychlone.html is a frames file used to display the d7x info report, malware report and a couple other links like for remote help (which conjures TeamViewerQS that's saved into the main reports dir) as well as a pdf document that I wrote up for customers to help them keep themselves safer on the internet.
Oh, and because I'm an Amazon associate, I ask the customer if they wouldn't mind using my amazon link (which this batch drops the link for into their reports folder) for their purchases since it doesn't cost them extra and it makes me a few cents.
All of these files and icons are in the \Scripts directory where this batch is run at End Session.

Code: Select all
REM THIS COPIES MY ICON AND OTHER FILES TO THE DEFAULT REPORTS FOLDER AT THE ROOT OF THE CUSTOMER'S SYSTEM DRIVE
copy /y applogo.ico "%systemdrive%\Psychlone Support\"
copy /y TeamViewerQS_en.exe "%systemdrive%\Psychlone Support\"
ren "%systemdrive%\Psychlone Support\TeamViewerQS_en.exe" "Psychlone Remote Help.exe"
copy /y psychlone_report.html "%systemdrive%\Psychlone Support\"
copy /y psychlone.jpg "%systemdrive%\Psychlone Support\"
copy /y Security_Tips.pdf "%systemdrive%\Psychlone Support\"
copy /y Amazon.com.url "%systemdrive%\Psychlone Support\"
copy /y Amazon.ico "%systemdrive%\Psychlone Support\"

REM THIS ADDS THE SYSTEM FILE ATTRIBUTE
pushd "%userprofile%\Desktop"
ATTRIB +S "Psychlone Support"
CD "%systemdrive%\Psychlone Support"
ATTRIB +S +H applogo.ico
ATTRIB +H Psychlone.jpg

REM THIS CHANGES THE FOLDER ICON TO MY OWN ICON
pushd %~dp0
cscript Psychlone_Shortcut.vbs

Then as you can see, the batch file calls the separate vbs code below which creates the shortcuts on the customer's desktop.

Code: Select all
set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell" )
strDesktop = WshShell.SpecialFolders("AllUsersDesktop" )
set oShellLink = WshShell.CreateShortcut(strDesktop & "\Psychlone Report.lnk")
oShellLink.TargetPath = "c:\Psychlone Support\psychlone_report.html"
oShellLink.WindowStyle = 1
oShellLink.IconLocation = "c:\Psychlone Support\applogo.ico"
oShellLink.Description = "Shortcut Script"
oShellLink.WorkingDirectory = "c:\Psychlone Support"
oShellLink.Save

set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell" )
strDesktop = WshShell.SpecialFolders("AllUsersDesktop" )
set oShellLink = WshShell.CreateShortcut(strDesktop & "\Amazon.com.lnk")
oShellLink.TargetPath = "c:\Psychlone Support\Amazon.com.url"
oShellLink.WindowStyle = 1
oShellLink.IconLocation = "c:\Psychlone Support\Amazon.ico"
oShellLink.Description = "Shortcut Script"
oShellLink.WorkingDirectory = "c:\Psychlone Support"
oShellLink.Save

Since d7x already drops my applogo.ico into it's own Program Files (x86)/name of my business/dSupportSuite/config directory, I could have just added to the vbs code to change it to my own icon, but I thought that other people would want this behavior natively from install within d7x.

There's probably a far more elegant way to do this, but I'm not a programmer, I'm a just the equivalent of a "field tech" for my own business. It took me for-f'ing-ever to nail this down, and I'm pretty proud of the menial task that it does because it does it flawlessly.

Anyway, I'll get to testing 19.4.19 and check it's behavior.
I thank you again for your help and all that you do for us!!

Best,
Psychlone
Psychlone

Postby Psychlone » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:45 pm

I tried to get back fast enough to just edit my post above but I wasn't quick enough.

I just tried out the new function in 19.4.19.0 and it works FLAWLESSLY.

Thank you Nick!!
Psychlone

Postby dragontattoo » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:42 am

thanks a lot nick!!!
dragontattoo

Return to d7x Support Forum