Build a WinPE that works with d7/d7II

Support and discussion for d7x PC Technician's Productivity Tool
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. When posting for help, include d7x version, OS details, and steps to reproduce the issue.
3. Start a new topic for a new problem, don't just post on existing topics that are NOT your EXACT problem.
4. SEARCH THE FORUMS BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC.

Build a WinPE that works with d7/d7II

Postby Nick » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:47 am

use this build, no modifications necessary: http://www.foolishit.com/tech-info/crea ... -bootable/
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Re: Build a WinPE that works with d7/d7II

Postby Psychlone » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:47 pm

+1

I'm happy that you've helped everyone that's interested to do this. I figured out how to create my own Win8PE a while back and have ran D7II from within it a few times with the only caveat that I've come across was running Combofix - I believe it needed to have the offline registry mounted, but I'm not sure as I didn't spend much time on it.
Light in the absence of eyes illuminates nothing.
Psychlone

Postby xide » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:38 pm

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Postby laplandz » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:42 pm

This is awesome Nick, many many thanks :)
.. ...
I can walk on water, but I can’t perform miracles.
laplandz

Postby Xander » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:57 am

If only that software would believe me when I point it to a Win8 source....keeps saying everything I throw at it is not Win8 :(
Xander

Postby xide » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:25 pm

Xander wrote:If only that software would believe me when I point it to a Win8 source....keeps saying everything I throw at it is not Win8 :(

Not to insult you but you did extract the contents of the iso/disc right? (nothing special...you can even just cut/paste the files from the disc) Also did you try using one of their links to download an iso? Lastly you may have to be using only 8.1 iso with this and not 8.0 my iso was 8.1 (oem I didn't use their link) and it worked perfectly the first time. Again, not trying to insult your abilities here...only offering what I know since I just made mine the other day.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Postby Xander » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:55 pm

I'm using extracted 8 and 8.1 ISO contents. I just tried the Enterprise ISO I had (and not tried but figured, "Meh why not?) and that's progressing.

Any way to include the current D7II into the package? Sure I can run it off my flash but integration isn't a bad thing.
Xander

Postby xide » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:09 pm

Xander wrote:I'm using extracted 8 and 8.1 ISO contents. I just tried the Enterprise ISO I had (and not tried but figured, "Meh why not?) and that's progressing.

Any way to include the current D7II into the package? Sure I can run it off my flash but integration isn't a bad thing.

I tried to directly add d7 into a 7pe as well as an xp pe project months ago (with no luck). Since there was not much of a description (and my previous failures) after the 8pe project was compiled (i just changed images, made sure no possible issues could be had) I decided to just drop my folder into the iso itself using UltraISO, in the Programs folders. When I load up my 8pe, I open WinPE(Y:) goto programs...goto my d7 folder...and there it is! :mrgreen:

.....it loads up :) , puts an icon on the desktop for the website :D , then an icon for the work report :D ....then I think it goes for a nap :cry: . i've run as admin, ran as system...nothing is working....I get the first splash screen and thats it. I've ran several 3d party apps and all seem to work fine.

I also discovered the Windows 8.1 iso I was using is just Windows 8.1 (home i guess? it's not pro or enterprise) I am running my tests on this currently using vmware running plop, I'll keep trying using my laptop as well. Let me know if you have any luck getting it to work
xide

Postby Nick » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:38 pm

xide I'm not familiar with what you are doing to build the disk, but you are saying d7 are you referring to that, or to d7II? If you are actually referring to d7II, does the method I describe in the article work for you and just not the way you are doing it, or ... ? are you actually using the winbuilder 8.1SE program that I reference to create your 8.1 ISO or are you using something different?
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby xide » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:35 pm

I am using the link above for my build, and using d7ii (haven't tried d7 but I might now that I think of it) I will try to make this as detailed as possible for a better understanding on how I did this.

- Downloaded the 8pe builder with the link you provided above.
- only changed the wallpaper to make sure that this is the one I had built when I ran it.
- created the iso using my oem windows 8.1 iso
- Once the iso was installed to my flash drive using rufus, I placed my whole d7ii folder in the programs dir
- once I launched it, 8pe loaded just fine, everything looked good and my custom wallpaper was there to ensure this was one I had built.
- I went to the programs directory, opened my d7ii folder and ran d7ii as admin (also system, and also regular double click) all with same results.
- It will load the splash screen, and place my website icon, as well as a work report icon on the desktop.
- After it puts the work report and website icons, the splash screen goes away (it only stays for about 5-10 seconds)
- Then there is absolutely nothing going on, I have it set to ask for session name and that box never comes up either.

I've tried this on my VM (plop) as well as my laptop (win7 64bit.), my work pc (8.1 64bit) and a customer pc (vista 32bit) I have done at least 6 builds so far just in case one may have been messed up, my last build I noticed I could install .net, so I added the full .net package to my iso in hopes that may work.

Oh and if it matters I saw there were 2 different application icons in the pe folder, I chose the 2nd one down (with the higher number in it)
EDIT: the file name of the app I used was Win81SE82_Builder.exe and NOT the Win81SE80_Builder.exe
xide

Next

Return to d7x Support Forum