Build a WinPE that works with d7/d7II

Support and discussion for d7x PC Technician's Productivity Tool
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. When posting for help, include d7x version, OS details, and steps to reproduce the issue.
3. Start a new topic for a new problem, don't just post on existing topics that are NOT your EXACT problem.
4. SEARCH THE FORUMS BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC.

Re: Build a WinPE that works with d7/d7II

Postby vmhs » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:23 pm

Personally, I only use a winpe for extreme cases. I would use it to fix the problem stopping booting, and then get into the main os to do these cosmetic things.

Just a thought.
vmhs

Postby Psychlone » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:51 pm

I've been using my 8.1PE for a few months (since the Win8.1PE Builder was released) so I can't remember exactly, but I believe I just put the entire D7II directory right at the root before building the PE.
I then created a shortcut to that directory on the desktop inside the PE. I'm actually typing this from inside my PE right now.

For the record, my Win8.1PE works fine with D7II, all the programs run just like they're supposed to.
Light in the absence of eyes illuminates nothing.
Psychlone

Postby Gator Tech » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:02 pm

OK numb nuts here is having an issue similar to xide's. I could not get a Handy thumb drive to use NTFS so I used a USB hard-drive (350GB) in a McAlley enclosure I've had for some time to transfer files with. I pretty much followed Xite though.

Downloaded the 8pe builder with the link you provided.
- did not find a working iso in the download package so I used my own oem Windows 8 Home Premium 64bit iso image.
- leaving everything "as is" except where the OEM iso was, I created the PE iso using my oem windows 8.1 iso and your Win8.1SE 82_Builder
-- This was done on the root of C drive on a Windows 8.1 pro machine
--This created win8.1SE_x64
-- Rufus did not work on my USB drive ( It could nto find it), so I made sure to see all files in iso viewer and copied them directly to my hard drive.
- I then placed my whole d7ii folder in the programs dir on the build
- once I launched it, 8pe loaded just fine, everything looked good at first glance!
- I went to the programs directory, opened my d7ii folder and ran d7ii as admin (also system, and also regular double click) all with same results.
My actual experience
- It will load the splash screen with the ID like it normal does, but then nothing comes up after that.
-- FYI My working D7II on a Windows 7 Pro PC would always load to the system tray and I then click on the tray icon to restore to desktop and it pops up and works normally.
- D7II will then try and update then all goes dead. "Then there is absolutely nothing going on" like Xite says.

I can't find it in the running programs either. of note the SE load creates a number of drives, an X; boot drive with the working system in it and a Y drive with a play icon as its descriptor with the original files in it like D7II etc... from the build.
I even tried pasting the whole d7II file into the working programs file and root of the X drive to no avail. D7II goes through the splash routine but nothing comes of it later.

I Need this bad as I have several windows 8 pc's with garbage on them and nothing is workings they are notebooks with the new formatting.

-
Gator Tech

Postby xide » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:54 pm

Gator Tech wrote:OK numb nuts here is having an issue similar to xide's. I could not get a Handy thumb drive to use NTFS so I used a USB hard-drive (350GB) in a McAlley enclosure I've had for some time to transfer files with. I pretty much followed Xite though.

Downloaded the 8pe builder with the link you provided.
- did not find a working iso in the download package so I used my own oem Windows 8 Home Premium 64bit iso image.
- leaving everything "as is" except where the OEM iso was, I created the PE iso using my oem windows 8.1 iso and your Win8.1SE 82_Builder
-- This was done on the root of C drive on a Windows 8.1 pro machine
--This created win8.1SE_x64
-- Rufus did not work on my USB drive ( It could nto find it), so I made sure to see all files in iso viewer and copied them directly to my hard drive.
- I then placed my whole d7ii folder in the programs dir on the build
- once I launched it, 8pe loaded just fine, everything looked good at first glance!
- I went to the programs directory, opened my d7ii folder and ran d7ii as admin (also system, and also regular double click) all with same results.
My actual experience
- It will load the splash screen with the ID like it normal does, but then nothing comes up after that.
-- FYI My working D7II on a Windows 7 Pro PC would always load to the system tray and I then click on the tray icon to restore to desktop and it pops up and works normally.
- D7II will then try and update then all goes dead. "Then there is absolutely nothing going on" like Xite says.

I can't find it in the running programs either. of note the SE load creates a number of drives, an X; boot drive with the working system in it and a Y drive with a play icon as its descriptor with the original files in it like D7II etc... from the build.
I even tried pasting the whole d7II file into the working programs file and root of the X drive to no avail. D7II goes through the splash routine but nothing comes of it later.

I Need this bad as I have several windows 8 pc's with garbage on them and nothing is workings they are notebooks with the new formatting.

-

Well good to know i'm not the only one...i was starting to feel like the black sheep. I have no idea what could be causing this, i've tried several things so far since my post on Aug. 1, with no luck yet....but I remain hopeful.
in regards to your other post about Nick compiling an iso, I think there are some legal issues when you combine the pe + windows iso, as in you can make it yourself but you have to download the iso and the pe builder separately. (kinda like ordering parts individually from the internet to build a full auto AK-47 if you put it all together)

I'm really not sure how others have been able to make theirs with no problems....maybe Nick can make a quick step-by-step video? I'm sure there must be some small minor detail we must be missing.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Postby Nick » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:08 am

I'm not sure what to say. If you are trying to run d7II from the image directly, try copying the folder to the local hard drive or the x: drive first. let me know if that helps
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby xide » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:47 am

Just thought of something.....Nick, are you adding the d7ii folder to the usb drive AFTER you have made the flash drive with the ISO?

More clearer example:
- Create ISO in PE, write to usb flash drive with rufus, drag and drop d7ii folder to usb drive (basically add d7ii once the 8pe flash drive has been made)
or
- Create ISO in PE, open ISO made with PE (ultra ISO) drag/drop d7ii folder into ISO, then use rufus to make flash drive with d7ii injected ISO. (this is the method i've been doing)

I don't know why it didn't occur to me until just now....it makes sense that I would be making things harder for myself, so I won't be surprised if I was supposed to be using the 1st mthod. I'll test my theory tomorrow when i'm not so tired, unless of course someone posts thats not right.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Postby Nick » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:17 am

yeah, well I made an ISO, put that on a USB drive, and later put my d7II dir on it directly.. I didn't try sticking it in the winbuilder stuff I got confused!! haha

In fact the first test I ran it while (from the WinPE boot) but it was running from the local HDD so it was never in the ISO at all come to think of it.

Nick
Site Admin

Postby Gator Tech » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:53 pm

Nic, Xide

Thanks for the input, Nic your quote
In fact the first test I ran it while (from the WinPE boot) but it was running from the local HDD so it was never in the ISO at all come to think of it.

I think that may be the bottle neck as to my "Limited" understanding D7ii needs to run with permissions for the local drive. In this case it needs to be integrated into the build as the build upon boot creates a new X drive every time in Ram and uses Y as a media drive of sorts. This is what I have witnessed anyway. If D7ii was integrated like the other apps in the build, I am sure it would work great. The Win81se build boots great on my USB drive and allows for a lot, but no matter where I put D7ii Y or x drive, it fails to boot. Now of interest Nic It did for a couple times try and boot and connect to the server to ensure its license and updates. I put in all my info again, but it did not come up after that and never fully booted.

So understanding and taking Xide's legalities to heart, Nic can you do another build for us and seeing that it works, inform us as the where exactly to put the entire d7ii files. The build works great, its just getting the d7ii to bounce around and work on the new booted X drive.
Gator Tech

Postby xide » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:49 pm

Hey Gator,

I'm going to give it another try this weekend, if all goes as planned I will make another and make a video of my process, so I can post it here. Wish me luck! :mrgreen:
xide

Postby Nick » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:22 am

Gator Tech wrote:Nic, Xide

Thanks for the input, Nic your quote

I think that may be the bottle neck as to my "Limited" understanding D7ii needs to run with permissions for the local drive. In this case it needs to be integrated into the build as the build upon boot creates a new X drive every time in Ram and uses Y as a media drive of sorts. This is what I have witnessed anyway. If D7ii was integrated like the other apps in the build, I am sure it would work great. The Win81se build boots great on my USB drive and allows for a lot, but no matter where I put D7ii Y or x drive, it fails to boot. Now of interest Nic It did for a couple times try and boot and connect to the server to ensure its license and updates. I put in all my info again, but it did not come up after that and never fully booted.

So understanding and taking Xide's legalities to heart, Nic can you do another build for us and seeing that it works, inform us as the where exactly to put the entire d7ii files. The build works great, its just getting the d7ii to bounce around and work on the new booted X drive.

you misunderstand how things work. it shouldn't matter at all where d7II is located in your ISO and there is no "integration" that could be done with WinPE that isn't already..

Nick
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to d7x Support Forum