Permanently change location to store backup

Support and discussion for d7x PC Technician's Productivity Tool
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. When posting for help, include d7x version, OS details, and steps to reproduce the issue.
3. Start a new topic for a new problem, don't just post on existing topics that are NOT your EXACT problem.
4. SEARCH THE FORUMS BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC.

Permanently change location to store backup

Postby melocco@gmail.com » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:37 am

I have read almost all of the manual (way to much to learn everything) so I may have over looked this...

I was wondering if there is a way to permanently change the location to store backup to my local server and not \\NAS\Clientdata? I have an unraid server set up and I offer my clients backup as a free service (if requested). I know I can browse and find the folder, but I would have to have SMB turned on (since windows has disabled it now) so I have to type it in every time. I don't mind, I just thought I may have over looked the issue in the manual.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Also, to the programmers and developers, You all have done a great job.. I wish I found this program years ago..

Oh, one other real quick question.... I use WSUS offline to do updates (speeds up the possess a lot..) and was wondering if I could add my offline updates as a task and just update the folder as needed (once a month normally)? I seen where I can use a wsus server, but my clients are mostly walk ins or I bring the computers to my shop (hence using the backup question).
melocco@gmail.com

Re: Permanently change location to store backup

Postby Nick » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:35 pm

Yes on the WSUS question, and thanks we're glad you enjoy the program!

The DataGrab backup location is actually supposed to save whatever you have in there automatically when you close d7x. It does do this for the "Additional Folders to Backup" section and others, but there is a bug keeping the combobox from loading the saved value. I should have this fixed for you in the next release. Basically what will happen is you just set the location you want, then close d7x (do NOT End Session) and open it again, you should see the same value in the box (plus the client name.) At this point (when it is saved and working as expected) then be sure to save your config to Config Mgmt Portal in the Servers menu on the top leftish area of d7x; this will ensure the setting persists when you download your config or via the Remote Deployment Tool.

Like I said, small bug; should be fixed just now, still need to test it, and then the next release will have the fix.
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Re: Permanently change location to store backup

Postby Nick » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:05 am

Cancel that last msg, and I see now why that it wasn't saving and it isn't a bug. I had to do this as a config setting.

Just released v19.7.2 and you can find the config setting in Config > Session tab > and it's under "d7x operating path rules" on the right side 2/3 of the way down.
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Return to d7x Support Forum