How can I run Spotify w/CryptoPrevent

These forums are retired and read-only.
Forum rules
These forums are retired and read-only.
For support, please visit https://www.d7xtech.com/support/

How can I run Spotify w/CryptoPrevent

Postby charlestek » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:48 pm

Using CP v7.0.2 Premium on Win7 Ultimate 64 bit.
Spotify installs its exe in C:\Users\SmallFry\AppData\Roaming\Spotify, which of course is blocked by CryptoPrevent.
Now I know the (idiots)programmers who wrote Spotify should not be placing an executable in this location at all, but
I'm stuck with their decision. CryptoPrevent no longer has any way of excluding a particular exe from its gpo.

What can I do?
charlestek

Re: How can I run Spotify w/CryptoPrevent

Postby Nick » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:05 pm

use the Advanced menu to start the advanced interface.
use the advanced menu there to start the software restriction policy editor
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby charlestek » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:47 am

The nesting of this functionality in the GUI is confusing, counterintuitive and hard to get at, i.e. "Advanced Menu DropDown" ->show Advanced Options -> Advanced Options Gui -> "Advanced" Drop Down Menu->Software Restriction Policy Editor

This appears to be a Winform Application, not a WPF application and there may be a more intuitive clean way to design the gui panels and nested menu functionality that is cleaner and more visually logical.
charlestek

Postby rwk » Sun May 24, 2015 12:24 pm

I am running CryptoPrevent v7.4.20 Premium with Win7 Home Premium (64-bit). I am having a problem updating Spotify, and I suspect that is due to protection by CryptoPrevent.

In the past, it seemed to work best to change protection to "none" for the Spotify update, then to change back to "default". That is not working now, and I never seemed to get the whitelisting to work by itself. Maybe I'm not geeky enough. I also tried uninstalling/re-installing Spotify and re-installing in safe mode. I don't get an error during the Spotify install, but the new version never shows up.

Do you recommend uninstalling CryptoPrevent to makt the Spotify upgrade work? That seems kind of extreme.

TIA
rwk

Return to CryptoPrevent for Home Users