Do you really need to Restart the Computer?

These forums are retired and read-only.
Forum rules
These forums are retired and read-only.
For support, please visit https://www.d7xtech.com/support/

Do you really need to Restart the Computer?

Postby xxx7of9 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:22 pm

Here's what works for me when I hit a legitimate app that won't run due to CryptoPrevent doing it's job:

Open Cryptoprevent and select “None” for the “Selected Protection Level”, and hit the big Apply button.
Now you can run whatever app was balking (e.g Process Explorer) .
Close the app that you just successfully ran.
Open Cryptoprevent and select a “Selected Protection Level” other than none to your liking, and hit the big Apply button.
You’ll see the “Refreshing Group Policy” dialog box.
In maybe 10 seconds, you’ll then see the dialog that tells you to “Restart now?”, but select “No” (ie. do not restart the device).
Open an Admin level command prompt, enter “gpupdate /force”. Wait until the cmd prompt returns.
Exit the cmd box.

Question: Couldn't you incorporate that functionality into CryptoPrevent to nix the restart?

Regards . . .
xxx7of9

Re: Do you really need to Restart the Computer?

Postby rs3100 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:33 pm

Advanced tab - tick "Apply gpupdate /force when making changes" ;)
rs3100

Postby xxx7of9 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:43 pm

D'oh!

Thanx :-)
xxx7of9

Postby xxx7of9 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:15 pm

Hi rs3100,

Yes, as you said, that option is there. It's a menu toggle in: Advanced | Show more Advanced Options | Advanced. I looked and I already had the enabled (or it is enabled by default).

So I tested this again:
I set CP to "None", was then able to run Process Explorer, exited Process Explorer, and set CP back to Max+Program Filtering.
I was advised to restart the computer, but didn't.
I then tried to run Process Explorer again, but was unable (ie. CP was doing its job as desired).

Question: Could the developer make it (or give us the option) so that if we have "Apply gpupdate /force when making changes" enabled, then we don't see the "Restart now?” dialog box. I realize that the pop-up “Restart now?” dialog gives us a clue that the group policy update is ran, and was finally successful. However, couldn't that dialog box just say it was successful, and have an OK button (and auto close in like 5 seconds if we don't want to click OK) ?

Thanks again for your thoughts and comments.

Regards . . .
xxx7of9

Postby bored369 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:20 am

gpUpdate is very finicky in our testings. Sometimes it requires a restart, sometimes it just takes a few (or more minutes). That's why the reboot prompt is a "Yes/No" you can choose not to reboot and see if it works but for the best assurity restarting is the safest bet always when dealing with gpupdate.
Chief Operating Officer, dSupportOnline official support of Foolish IT
& long time tech friend of Nick & avid Foolish IT product user since before Foolish IT was even created!

bored369
d7xTech Staff

Postby xxx7of9 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:04 am

Hi bored369,

No problem. I understand gpupdate and your thinking. Just thought it might have been an oversight or unknow for you.

Thanks for the reply.

Regards . . .
xxx7of9

Return to CryptoPrevent for Home Users