no work as expected

These forums are retired and read-only.
Forum rules
These forums are retired and read-only.
For support, please visit https://www.d7xtech.com/support/

no work as expected

Postby refugi0 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:18 am

Wow, THE first post in this forum. Wish it was to say "great app -- no problems" Alas not the case. Could be a great app, just did not work as expected here. I installed dmaintenance (dm) premium as you had suggested running a delete all temporary internet files to clear up a def update with cp. Again, wondering if some security app had not been disabled during install of dm?? Ran dm to clear 2 items, temp files and temp internet files, and first time it seemed to hang, and it opened after IIRC a forced closing, and opened Chrome with a file report. Found that odd since Chrome is not my default browser, so is that supposed to happen? And it reported
file:///C:/Program%20Files/Foolish%20IT/dMaintenanceHome/MaintCompletedEmail.html
Maintenance Completed (Manual)
Completed: Deleting Temp Files...
0 MB deleted!
dMaintenance Home Premium v3.0

Not only did the above seem odd, I don't use anything Chrome for email, and do not recall setting up a email alerts. And then it seems like dm never did get to temp internet files. I never got a report that it deleted any temp internet files?

Since dm seemed not to be behaving as expected on this xp, I uninstalled it for now. I also have ccleaner which I run to delete temp internet files. I had no obvious indication from any security apps that they were blocking dm. Any chance that cp blocked dm? That seems counterintuitive. But another curious indication which may be a problem somewhere else given the problem DL'ing cp defs, it seemed that running dm, would remove my internet connection?? although I did not select anything related to proxy. Definitely suspicious that despite every malware scan available which report clean, wonder why that would happen. Could have been a coincidence. Reading deeper the dm features, dm just does not seem that necessary to how I use the xp, vis a vis other apps that are installed and apparently working. I don't use Window Defender or MSE for malware, so other than cleaning temp files, etc, dm seems like a redundant app (for me) that initially ran buggy, but not sure why. Could be some settings on this xp are atypical, or there's some conflict with other apps. I could test dm some more. I suppose I could also give you a list of other running apps to see if there's a conflict if you want. The one or two I suspect are AppGuard (Blue Ridge) and malwarebytes anti-exploit mbae (not mbam)???
refugi0

Re: no work as expected

Postby Nick » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:15 pm

refugi0 wrote:Ran dm to clear 2 items, temp files and temp internet files, and first time it seemed to hang, and it opened after IIRC a forced closing, and opened Chrome with a file report. Found that odd since Chrome is not my default browser, so is that supposed to happen? And it reported
file:///C:/Program%20Files/Foolish%20IT/dMaintenanceHome/MaintCompletedEmail.html
Maintenance Completed (Manual)
Completed: Deleting Temp Files...
0 MB deleted!
dMaintenance Home Premium v3.0

Not only did the above seem odd, I don't use anything Chrome for email, and do not recall setting up a email alerts. And then it seems like dm never did get to temp internet files. I never got a report that it deleted any temp internet files?

I'm not so sure I can pin point (or duplicate) any "bug" you encountered, though I'm all ears if you can duplicate your experience; but more importantly if you can tell ME how to duplicate your experience.. (beyond simply installing and running maintenance on Windows XP, because for me that behaves completely as expected...)

Regarding it not removing temporary internet files, my question to you is why did it seem to hang, and are you saying you forced the app to close, because the I'm pretty sure it wouldn't finish the delete routine... I would wonder what a subsequent attempt produced provided you let it go and do its job instead of forcefully closing the app when it appears to hang.

---

A Note on Application "hangs"

With 'hanging' applications, typically in Task Manager you will either see them use 0% CPU or 99% CPU (or a fraction of that if on a multi-cpu/threaded system with a single threaded app like dMaintenance...) but the point is that this percentage will stick consistently for an extended period of time. I'm positive if you would have observed dMaintenanceHome.exe in Task Manager, you would have observed the CPU utilization fluctuate if observed for more than a few seconds..

It is possible that security software could interfere, but I doubt it at this early stage. It is also possible that dMaintenance could hang trying to delete an in-use file, but that wouldn't last long because this is a common occurrence with deleting temporary files of any type.

Finally one thing you may have observed was the 'hang' wasn't a hang at all, but rather it was dMaintenance just taking a long time to delete a crap ton of files. I've see it do that when there are a ton of files to delete in one folder. What occurs is that dMaintenance loops itself in a delete operation for each file in that folder recursively through the structure. It doesn't process a "doevents" statement during that time as it would significantly slow down deletion. What "doevents" in programming does, is inform Windows that the "form" of the app (the GUI) is ready for user interaction, being clicked on, etc. What happens when Windows doesn't get a "doevents" in the middle of a long operation like deleting a lot of files, it will put a "Not Responding..." message in the titlebar of the application in question. It doesn't mean that the app is in any way "hung" but rather that it cannot accept user input at this time because it is busy elsewhere. This is a common issue with single-threaded applications, which is what dMaintenance is -- as there is not another CPU thread utilized to process the user events on the form.

I doubt that was your issue either, as you said you run other temp file cleaning apps.

---

Regarding the report opening in Chrome, but it not being your default browser, yes something is amiss with your system there -- I do not open the report in any particular browser, nor do I even know what browsers are installed on your PC -- (lol that would take way more effort than what I do, which is use Microsoft's ShellExecute API which utilizes the system default for that file type; WAY easier than trying to figure out what and where the browsers are located...)

So in this case, your system default for .HTML files must be Chrome for some reason, even though that isn't your default browser for actual internet browsing...

Most likely the install for Chrome takes over that file type, however when you make another browser the system default, it does not update that particular file type, since that isn't the internet at all, it is a file system setting and a completely different ball of wax... does that make sense?
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby refugi0 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:13 pm

good points: I think I let Chrome update the other day, and perhaps it snuck-in a browser switch? The default had been firefox for wife, I always open dragon in sandboxie manually. Will look into that. I know that some links can force ie, even when firefox is default, but this is the first time I've seen chrome open as if it was default. will dig some. then hitman alerted that deep in chrome there is not AskBar, so chrome was messing with my xp uninvited :(

First time I ran dm, just temp files and temp internet files, it hung at temp files, 5+ min (I don't keep much crap on this xp), and systemexplorer was clear that dm had frozen. I killed it, and restarted it, several times and it only ever reported temp files 0. then after several tries, I selected a few other harmless items like clear print que, and it looked like that cycled but never seemed to deal with temp internet files. that's about the time I uninstalled dm.

Wondering, I may have had some security app running that interfered with dm install as first run, it froze or hung at temp internet files (coupled with the chrome popup & getting bumped off the internet too). I did install dm with revo_pro, and my experience has been very positive with that app, but wondering if conflict due to that? I have not reinstalled dm yet, and happy to try again. Let me know re revo. Also I suspect some conflict with your apps cp and dm with appguard. I say that because if I run the cp test without disabling appguard, ag blocks helloworld2, not cp.
I also saw link you have to privatefirewall. I have pfw installed here, its hips does not pickup on cp or dm?
refugi0

Postby refugi0 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:14 pm

should read: ...now AskBar...
refugi0

Postby Nick » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:55 pm

refugi0 wrote:I have not reinstalled dm yet, and happy to try again. Let me know re revo. Also I suspect some conflict with your apps cp and dm with appguard. I say that because if I run the cp test without disabling appguard, ag blocks helloworld2, not cp.
I also saw link you have to privatefirewall. I have pfw installed here, its hips does not pickup on cp or dm?

Well, don't get excited. I doubt Revo was an issue in this case, and I also suspect that if it happened on your PC once, it may very well do so again. After all, doing the same thing multiple times and expecting a different result is insanity. BUT, I don't even know what appguard is :) much less how it works, so lol maybe that?

---

on the PFW thing, yeah, wth. I haven't tried it with my apps admittedly, but that's because it won't run on a system with Virtualbox bridged networking adapter installed, and that is a must for me. only two methods of communication within my apps though. first is http download, and that occurs through URLMON.DLL (I think that's the one, but it is part of windows, or rather, internet explorer) so maybe it isn't being blocked if IE is already on the good list -- the other method is FTP, standard unencrypted FTP, which is the only way I can transmit data both ways. dM doesn't use it at all, but CP does for updates. I don't think FTP is blocked by default on most firewalls regardless, except certain sonicwalls and maybe untangle, but FTP is never used by malware so I wouldn't be surprised if that method of communication is overlooked by default...

---

oh, just a quick comment on your previous comment about dM being redundant with CCleaner. Not so! honestly haven't used CCleaner in quite a while. I'm not "knocking" it at all, but last time I used to use it regularly though, my own delete temp files routines (same code, but within d7) was USUALLY getting a lot of data that CCleaner left behind. can't say if that is still the case, but what I can tell you is that as a computer technician even with my own tools, I would also run 3rd party tools for things like deleting temp files in addition to my own. thing is, IMHO most any PC tech out there worth his/her salt is going to use multiple apps of any purpose to accomplish one job. more than one temp file cleaner, more than one virus cleaner, etc. etc. maybe we don't always want a second opinion when a HDD test or memtest86+ runs, but sometimes even then... not saying every home user should run 10 temp file cleaning apps, or even 2 because I'll be honest I don't believe the difference is worth the effort for most folks, just pointing out that no two apps do the same job all of the of the time in the same situation. just my 2c.

Nick
Site Admin

Postby refugi0 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:30 pm

agree. I have dm premium (paid) so I'll reinstall it and report back. good to know that revo is probably not a problem. I did confirm that firefox still thinks it's the default browser on this xp, so no how why dm was opening chrome to display report. (does it automatically do this, display in browser, seemed like some snafu with dm email alert, which I thought I did not engage...
appguard is a zero day protection. seems to run aok with my other security apps, and seems "powerful." If you're curious...
http://www.appguardus.com/
refugi0

Postby Nick » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:37 pm

interesting. will have to look into that. very skeptical about it though, mostly because it doesn't seem to want to tell you how it works or is different from A/V -- but I guess I can always find out.

not sure, just a note if you haven't seen it, but I saw a note on appguard specifically with sandboxie near the bottom of this page, didn't do much more than skim though. http://www.appguardus.com/index.php/sup ... rd-support

Nick
Site Admin

Return to dMaintenance Home Edition