dm3.1 & chrome / dragon leftovers

These forums are retired and read-only.
Forum rules
These forums are retired and read-only.
For support, please visit https://www.d7xtech.com/support/

dm3.1 & chrome / dragon leftovers

Postby refugi0 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:47 pm

Since I already have free ccleaner installed, and it sends me an analysis report that there's leftover chrome crap to be deleted when chrome is not installed, I looked deeper and ccleaner reports leftover analysis with chrome icon, but their detailed report points to dragon, specifically to

C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\COMODO\Dragon\User Data\Default\Media Cache\

where the bulk of the leftover dragon crap is located. ccleaner finds all leftovers, it finds, in the various \Default\ subdirs including \media cache.

The point being that I first ran dm3.1 which now cleans dragon, but ccleaner found 1.2 mb of more dragon crap to clean after dm, what ccleaner summary calls internet cache, internet history, & session. So sending this to confirm that the dm dragon clean is looking in all the right places. tricky perhaps in that it looks like to me that keeper files in those same subdirs. I also find it interesting in that dragon is set to delete its crap when it closes, so wondering why ccleaner finds anything dragon remaining to clean, but that might have to do with sbie (but that seems unlikely). Could be apples and oranges, one app cleaning other stuff? hard to tell at this point.

list all dragon subdirs under ..\default\
cache
databases
extension rules
extension state
extensions
gpucache
local extension settings
local storage
managed extension settings
medial cache
pepper data
session storage
sync extension settings
user style sheets

I have no idea how that matches chrome as chrome itself not installed here now.

PS tried derase. worked ok, fwiw.
refugi0

Re: dm3.1 & chrome / dragon leftovers

Postby Xander » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:30 pm

Kudos to Nick for even including a little-used browser like Comodo. Never met a single customer to ever use it.
Xander

Postby Nick » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:51 am

I can have the media cache removed next update.
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby refugi0 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:10 pm

Xander wrote:Kudos to Nick for even including a little-used browser like Comodo. Never met a single customer to ever use it.

I know (have heard) that comodo fanatics exist. I'm not one of those. Dragon is only comodo app I'm running. My default browser is firefox. As for why I started using dragon, I don't really recall. I liked chrome & most likely assumed that dragon was more secure in various ways, including privacy, than google chrome, so assumed dragon was a better chrome. As for whether it is a better chrome, I don't really know. I run dragon in sbie in its own sandbox, and use comodo's dns server as a filter, and it runs fast and plays well with other apps. Chrome seemed to have links to google earth and the first runs of dm3.0 here seemed to cause some "issues" with chrome and google earth, and I decided to be loyal to dm and found it easier to uninstall chrome and google earth (& perhaps reinstall one or both in the future). Playing with dm, got me looking more deeply into ccleaner and also found & tried bleachbit. Overall this has been a good learning project. I appreciate that Nick added dragon, and another browser that I don't use. As for what Nick decides to update, I was just reporting what I found here, and I have no good idea, what else, if anything, should be deleted by dm. I'll leave that to Nick, as he knows much better than I what is delete_able and what is breakable. Has anyone claimed that dragon is less good than chrome? I ask because your second sentence above seemed unnecessary to your post.
refugi0

Postby Xander » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:00 pm

Remarking on having never ever seen it in day-to-day use is not a criticism of the software; it does speak to the point that Nick is bending over backwards here to add functionality to dM for a browser that might have, what, 1% of the market?
Xander

Postby refugi0 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:17 pm

ok. (98.6% of everyone I know uses dragon ;-) Since Nick also added Canary 64bit, & Chromium, I sorta read your post as "picking on" dragon, could not understand why when it purportedly adds privacy & security features.
Now curious to lookup Canary to see what it does compared to chrome, dragon, & other browsers.
refugi0

Postby Nick » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:18 am

Canary is just a frequently updated version of Chrome that isn't as raw as Chromium, and is Google owned closed source like Chrome. Canary is also 64-bit now whereas Chrome is still 32 for the time being.

Dragon being a Chrome variation, it was just as easy to add as the other Chrome variations -- and being by a large and respected security company, it was an easier decision to include than say, Apple Safari (haha)
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Return to dMaintenance Home Edition