dCloud vs. dCloud SMTP vs. dCSH?

Discuss any other d7xTech app here (EXCEPT CryptoPrevent!)
Suggest ideas for new d7xTech apps here also.
For CryptoPrevent Bulk/White-Label support please use our web form at https://www.d7xtech.com/contact-us/
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. When posting for help, include app version, OS details, and steps to reproduce the issue.
3. Start a new topic for a new problem, don't just post on existing topics that are NOT your EXACT problem.
4. SEARCH THE FORUMS BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC.

dCloud vs. dCloud SMTP vs. dCSH?

Postby indy-pc » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:40 pm

I currently have d7+dCloud subscription and I am looking at options in the near-future for subscription- and non-subscription-based remote support. With as pleased as I am with d7, I'm thinking dSupportSuit might be the ticket for the subscription-based support. While trying to sort it out, I seem to be getting some conflicting information. Here's what I THINK I understand. Please correct me if/where I'm wrong.

• d7 requires either a dCloud subscription or dCloud Self-Hosted (dCSH)
  • A dCloud subscription provides free updates to d7 as long as my subscription is active
  • dSS requires either dCSH or dCloud hosted by FoolishIT (which I'm calling "dCloud SMTP" for clarification)
  • I would need an "internet exposed FTP" in order to use dCSH

So, first of all, are dCloud and dCloud SMTP the same thing? If so, then I wouldn't need dCSH to use dSS, right? If they aren't the same thing, what is the difference?

Next, what exactly is an "internet exposed FTP"? Does it require a static IP? How would I go about setting one up?

You'll have to excuse my ignorance as I know virtually nothing about servers and a lot of these fancy terms. I'm pretty lost, here. :oops: :?
indy-pc

Re: dCloud vs. dCloud SMTP vs. dCSH?

Postby Nick » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:17 pm

ok. First dSupportSuite has little to do with remote support - that you can have it launch your preferred remote support app is about the only thing it has to do with that - it is more for automated maintenance and reoccurring billing.

d7 requires nothing, unless you want updates and aren't grandfathered in, you need a dCloud subscription from me. d7 does NOT use dCSH.

dSupportSuite requires dCSH, and can no longer be used with my dCloud subscriptions.

So it is really simple, dCloud is for d7 and is subscription only, while dCSH is for dSupportSuite and once you buy that you own it no subscription required.

by internet exposed FTP, I mean any FTP server that is exposed to the internet. Meaning it's ports are exposed to the internet, like forwarding ports from your router to the server itself. If you are running your own passive FTP server, you would need to forward a port (typically port 21 by default) on the low end, and then a range of ports (like 50000 - 51000) on the high end to satisfy the passive FTP functionality.

a static IP isn't necessary if you have a dynamic dns service, but one or the other would of course be necessary.

The alternate, and better way, to run dCSH, is not to use your own server, but use that of your webhost, if you pay one to host your website. For example I use Hostgator to host my website, and it comes with FTP, so what I could do is use my Hostgator server that my website sits on to host the dCSH FTP account. You see all that is required is a dumb FTP server, no special software needs to be on it so it doesn't matter if it is Windows or Linux based, and all that is required is one FTP account on that server. All I would need to do is create that one FTP account on my Hostgator server, and point my dCSH server settings to Hostgator and that FTP account. This way no special config is required on your server, and it is already internet exposed so you don't need to worry about port forwarding and all that BS.

Did that make sense?
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby indy-pc » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Ok, I think I get it. However, it seems a little confusing when I saw THIS page. That makes it sound like dSS can either be self-hosted (dCSH) or have you host it (what I was calling "dCloud SMTP"). Either way, knowing that I could host it on GoDaddy along with my website makes that simple.

Regarding dSS in general...
You said that dSS has little to do with remote support. I think I must not have been looking at how it works right. Now that you say that, is dSS an automated tool that I can setup to run certain apps on a specified schedule (completely hands-off once it's installed), or is it a tool that my client would use to "fix" their own system and then call me if that doesn't fix the issue? I have a hard time believing it's the latter.

The way I was looking at it was dSS being a sort of "d7 Lite" that would reside on my client's system for me to run when I remote into their system once a month or whatever. That's where I was thinking the remote support came into play.

While I'm at it, what sort of apps could I run? I'm looking at just starting to offer recurring subscription services and I was planning to have several different tiers of service. Tier 1 would just be Windows updates and other software updates like Java, Flash, etc.. Tier 2 would additionally run CCleaner, Defrag and other tune-up tweeks. Tier 3 would have that as well as run a few virus scans like mbam, sas, etc.. So on and so forth. Would dSS be able to handle that?

Also, what happens if someone decides to cancel their subscription? Is there an easy way to delete or disable dSS? Is it so good that it actually knows if my client is paid up? ;-)
indy-pc

Postby ajgyomber » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:09 am

Nick, not to confuse matters, but you do plan on updating d7 to use dCloud Self-Hosted, right?
ajgyomber

Postby Nick » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:17 am

ajgyomber wrote:Nick, not to confuse matters, but you do plan on updating d7 to use dCloud Self-Hosted, right?

I don't plan on that at this time.

Nick
Site Admin

Postby Nick » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:26 am

indy-pc wrote:Ok, I think I get it. However, it seems a little confusing when I saw THIS page. That makes it sound like dSS can either be self-hosted (dCSH) or have you host it (what I was calling "dCloud SMTP"). Either way, knowing that I could host it on GoDaddy along with my website makes that simple.

Regarding dSS in general...
You said that dSS has little to do with remote support. I think I must not have been looking at how it works right. Now that you say that, is dSS an automated tool that I can setup to run certain apps on a specified schedule (completely hands-off once it's installed), or is it a tool that my client would use to "fix" their own system and then call me if that doesn't fix the issue? I have a hard time believing it's the latter.

The way I was looking at it was dSS being a sort of "d7 Lite" that would reside on my client's system for me to run when I remote into their system once a month or whatever. That's where I was thinking the remote support came into play.

While I'm at it, what sort of apps could I run? I'm looking at just starting to offer recurring subscription services and I was planning to have several different tiers of service. Tier 1 would just be Windows updates and other software updates like Java, Flash, etc.. Tier 2 would additionally run CCleaner, Defrag and other tune-up tweeks. Tier 3 would have that as well as run a few virus scans like mbam, sas, etc.. So on and so forth. Would dSS be able to handle that?

Also, what happens if someone decides to cancel their subscription? Is there an easy way to delete or disable dSS? Is it so good that it actually knows if my client is paid up? ;-)

It is a d7 (Maintenance) lite of sorts containing mostly the same maintenance capabilities of d7, and it is designed to run as a scheduled task automatically, without your having to remote in and do anything. You have a similar custom apps system that d7 has, with a few extra bells and whistles (e.g. custom actions for errorlevels which make it possible for example to run a MSSE/Windows Defender or a2cmd virus scan and have it email you on malware found.) One person in these forums I read was using that to grab extra business, by configuring the scanners to report only and when he gets the email that an infection was found he could then contact the customer.

Basically it can handle any custom app that d7 can, and run it only as automated as d7 can. Example CCleaner and Defraggler run automated fine. Other apps may not allow that level of automation. PatchMyPC works great also fully automated, for keeping Windows and apps up to date. The only A/V scans that work well so far and can be fully automated from install to finish are MSSE/Windows Defender and a2cmd however I haven't explored other apps yet. I can add Sophos removal tool to the mix if I add .RAR extraction support, which I haven't done yet but can do upon request. I'm sure there are other A/V utilities out there with fully automated capable command line utilities but I just haven't explored what all the options are.

There is a 'fix internet' option that the client can run by themselves which does some tweaks like rebuilding the winsock, ipconfig /flushdns and /release and /renew, etc etc. That button can be disabled if necessary and the actions it carries out are configurable. There are no 'fix' capabilities beyond that.

If they cancel their subscription, you have the ability to remotely disable or uninstall the app.

Nick
Site Admin

Return to Other d7xTech Apps