What AV Product to Recommend?

Discuss everything related to the business side of PC Repair, including software to run your business, advertising, marketing, legal issues, etc. etc.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. Don't be a prick.

Re: What AV Product to Recommend?

Postby GEGeek » Mon May 13, 2013 1:43 pm

Brings back memories of the old days when Netscape and IE weren't playing nice together on the PC or in the legal system, when Netscape sued Microsoft.
Who knows!
Mike
GEGeek - I don't reinvent the wheel, I just link to it.
http://www.gegeek.com
GEGeek

Postby Marshall » Mon May 13, 2013 2:26 pm

Hello EagleTech.

Web of Trust is a great tool, but it absolutely has no guarantee since the community as a whole can decide how to rate a site. This certainly can result in false information. I have seen this a handful of times when doing research, but for a free tool it isn't too bad for the everyday user, who doesn't want a paid for product installed.

When I show WoT to a customer or friend I ensure that I explain that the entire product is community driven, and there is a lot of room for failure. I also mention that they should take it upon themselves to read the reviews to ensure that they agree with what is being said.

I feel like most of the false reviews I have seen, have been rather blatant and not well hidden. Of course your experiences may vary.

When in doubt suggest a paid for product that has support available.
Help Me With My Computer Tech
IT Services & IT Consulting Services In Southern IL and St. Louis MO
Marshall

Postby EagleTech » Mon May 13, 2013 5:01 pm

Thanks, HMWMCT

I put it on the list of things for us to test. Who knows, might be great for some of our customers!
EagleTech

Postby GEGeek » Mon May 13, 2013 5:20 pm

My new favorite image :) - TrafficLight

trafficlight.jpg
trafficlight.jpg (64.42 KiB) Viewed 4489 times
GEGeek - I don't reinvent the wheel, I just link to it.
http://www.gegeek.com
GEGeek

Postby techw13 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:32 pm

Our company uses ESET Nod32 Antivirus edition. Low footprint and amazing heuristic suspicious system. Files can be sent to eset for further analysis (I recommend all Antivirus companies to do to further educate the detection process). I was amazed to see ESET already in D7 :). They have the best detection compared to the commercial antivirus ones. And the one product that is better is my technician virus removal secret :) but it is already in d7 lol. That one provides the best and fastest new detection rates.
techw13

Postby Marshall » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:32 pm

Well I can't say that I absolutely agree with you about ESET being the best, but I too really like their product line. I have in the past used their online scanner as a temporary way to do a quick scan on a system to see if there is further need for malware analysis.

Commercial level AV solutions are not in the same boat as a residential consumer product you would buy and install on mom and dads PC. Corporate level AV solutions provide options that most small businesses, and residential consumers won't ever need. Pretty much every IT department I have worked for in the past has had a Security department, and all day these people are tweaking, adjusting, monitoring, and fixing holes in their network infrastructure to prevent intrusions. Mom and dad prevent intrusions by not surfing bad sites, and relying on free services like Adblock Plus, or free updates from SpywareBlaster to help protect themselves. They don't have a team of educated analysts and engineers defending their network 24/7.

So in my opinion, unless you're talking about an ESET product that is designed for corporate entities (http://www.eset.com/us/business/products/solutions/secure-enterprise/), you're actually just referring to the products you could pick-up at a Best Buy and install on your home system or small business. Those are commercial products in that they are being sold to the public, but I bet you're referring to the big companies like Symantec, McAfee, etc. Those names have been synonymous for a very long time now with powerful anti-virus solutions. They still are, just like any anti-virus product, if properly managed, and surfing the web safely, you really won't have problems the majority of the time. They however have been around for quite some time, and they have their good days and bad days just like any other AV company. Although the days when your AV product flags a legitimate OS file and deletes in, bringing about network wide BSOD's, yeah..that's a baad day!

I would suggest hitting up a few comparison sites to really get a better understanding of the competition in the market. No one has a 100% guarantee, but some products are currently performing better than others.

For example: ESET was the third from the bottom on File Detection tests back in March (a horrible position to have), but had ok Real World Protection tests in May, coming in just barely above McAfee...http://www.av-comparatives.org/dynamic-tests/

In my opinion, they're only worth their salt when they're protecting you. Regardless of what product you use, the best protection methods in my opinion are educating your customers in safe web surfing habits, and having multiple layers of overlapping defense for those that don't want to be bothered with the headache of managing it.

Malware changes rapidly, and we will always be one step behind, if not more. Bettering their detection processes would be great, but it's kinda hard to proactively block something that doesn't exist today, and is designed to defeat your brand new shiny system tomorrow.

Most of the big contenders in the AV industry have "low footprint" products right now. It's becoming a pretty common thing these days in my opinion.

d7 is a very robust Malware removal tool, and to be quite honest there are few infections that can fight against it right now. The only one's that are a bit rough to crack into and get open are the newer variants of the FBI Ransomware infections that hijack your screen even in safe-mode. Those are the most fun resolving remotely.
Marshall

Postby Bill Money » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:00 pm

AT work we are told to push Sophos, if cust does not want sophos due to price, I will recommend ESET or Kaspersky

My Side work: KAV or ESET

What I use now: KIS have a free license, thanks kaspersky rep, I also have ESET Beta 7 running on my bootcamp and virtual machines
Bill Money

Postby Reylatino » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:28 pm

Hi,its my first post to this site...

Like most of us, I try many different AV...

i have found Comodo Av, For me its awasoem, of course having malwarebytes too, installed.

What i must point out, is that comodo offers virtual browser, without too many complications, just install the app, let it scan and the just open, virtual comodo, they claim that the machine wont be infected at all...

I tested with infected pages, movies, Ilivid software is more common on those pages, and once i close virtual comodo, anything that got downloaded to the "downloads" folder will be deleted...

Give it a try...but during the installation remove Geek support option... You dont want your customers asking comodo for help, when you can still charge them...

I look forward for your reviews o comments
Reylatino

Postby Marshall » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:50 pm

Hello Reylatino,

Many AV companies are trending the "virtual browser" safe environment right now. I can't say I have spent much time testing this or playing with it, but it has been my experience that they always get cracked, and that there is no sure fire, 100% protected virtual environment, period.

So unless you have access to enterprise level virtualization hardware, and software, your out of luck.

These new "Safe" browsers are great, and I'm sure they can actually enhance your security, but it's just a matter of time before the malware developers come gunning for them full steam ahead.

As far as Comodo AV goes, it doesn't get reviewed by the AV comparison sites because Comodo has a 3rd layer to their methodology for handling malware. Is it a good product? Well they all can be depending on your skill in using them, but in the end I have the opinion if it doesn't rank well consistently with Real World Testing, then it's not worth using in a professional environment. After all, you expect it to protect you, and if you cannot get quantifiable evidence of this, what real incentive do you have to buy it? Food for thought.

Thank you for your input on Comodo AV.
Marshall

Previous

Return to Business Stuff