Security cameras

Discuss everything related to the business side of PC Repair, including software to run your business, advertising, marketing, legal issues, etc. etc.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. Don't be a prick.

Security cameras

Postby xide » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:26 pm

About 8 years ago when I opened my shop I purchased a security camera kit from Sam's club. It cost me around $1200, and didn't seem to be that great in the long run. I only bought it in a hurry because I was about to leave for Vegas for a week. One day, Christmas morning around 8am actually someone threw a brick through the windows and stole some items and ran. The footage wasn't good enough for the cops to identify him with, even though I knew who did it because he walks by everyday with the same coat on.

So none the less, I continued to use this outdated system, until I had this idea. HD webcams. The local staples were having a sale/clearance on the Microsoft HD webcams (originally $100/ now $35) so I grabbed as many as they had.
then I downloaded the free/open source software ispy http://www.ispyconnect.com/
With it I can set it to record on motion, when to record and anything you can think of and it doesn't just work with only webcams, it works with all kinds. I chose webcams because they have a nice picture and they're cheap. This software supports up to 16 cameras, and it can also record sound.

I have this hooked up to my computer in my back office and it's running 24x7. if the computer reboots, the software loads back up as well and hides in the systray. Not only can I catch someone breaking in, but it can come in handy just in case someone says you didn't tell them something (microphone will prove that wrong) or if they claim something like you never gave them back their laptop charger. There are a lot of scenarios i'm sure.

I think some of the plus sides of having the webcams are they're small and easily hidden, they use usb ports (hello usb hub) and they're relatively inexpensive. I also heard that Western Digital has now a "Purple" series hard drive that is designed for video surveillance. Although I've been using my WD 750GB black edition and it's been doing great for the past year now, and the storage space seems to be a great amount since I don't keep anything older than 90 days they way I have it setup.

If you want to know more detail about how I have it setup, including my motion sensor lights for nighttime visibility, just reply to this post or send me a pm.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Re: Security cameras

Postby davidtstanley » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:20 am

how bout what is a good camera that has night vision and waterproof and poe. ? and the obvious thing is cheap and has a good picture?

thanks.
davidtstanley

Postby xide » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:27 pm

I've had night vision cameras before, but didn't like the "greenish" look, hard to see how me. However i've seen that Logitech makes some with good picture quality (From videos on youtube) I myself don't have much of a need for them since I have a 2 flood lights in my parking lot with a couple of my cameras in the windows. Inside I purchased a $35 motion sensor outlet from Lowes, which is plugged into a $10 programable timer.

The sensor is wireless, and is placed in the middle of the room. The outlet is placed behind the counter, I purchased some "shop lights" i believe they're called, they are the really bright halogen lamps that are about 12in. x 12in. and stupid bright. These are placed at the top of these 2 8ft. sheleves which aren't noticable unless you are actually looking for them. I have one in the center wall and one on the left wall. So when the motion sensor is tripped the room is illuminated very brightly.

This way my 1080p microsoft webcams can capture a nice full color clear image instead of a "greenish" look, because the cops here would see that and just say "well can't clearly see him...could be anyone" Like they did last time.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Postby davidtstanley » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:15 am

the problem i run into with clients and also my parents is the neighbors they have are just amazing. they like to walk about the yards at 3am, when people are sleeping of course. They also like to let their dogs roam in their yard and when my parents grandchildren are over the dogs try to attack them.

So even at night I would like something that either went to black and white and or night vision. with a poe. Lighting at their house is amazing as they have all sorts of lights up as it is but towards some parts of the house it can be dark. so yea i need something that can "see" in the dark. .... any suggestions?

now as it stands today i have 10 axis 206 and 211 cameras up for them. need a few better ones that will do what i need.

thanks. again
davidtstanley

Postby xide » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:39 pm

The only ones I have really seen footage from at night are the logitech ones. I saw some videos of them on you tube, and I thought the picture was pretty impressive considering they're wireless. Check them out on youtube it's the "Alert 700e" and run about $279 and it's outdoor. The indoor version is around $229.
xide

Postby EagleTech » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:05 am

I used that software for a while. Consistently had the problem of the host PC suddenly not recognizing a camera. The camera would still work fine on another PC, just not that host. Happened many times with different types/brands of webcams.
EagleTech

Postby blue.bear » Thu May 22, 2014 7:46 am

For how many days do you save your footage? And what's the size of 24 hours footage?
blue.bear

Postby watson45 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:48 am

Save I have hand full of Excel sheets to track various aspects of the business along with job booking .. along with MYOB (Australian competitor to Quickbooks)... Google Docs & Sync, and dropbox I was generally happy with this approach.. until.. this discussion: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=330 :P
watson45

Return to Business Stuff