What free anti-virus do you use?

Discuss everything related to the business side of PC Repair, including software to run your business, advertising, marketing, legal issues, etc. etc.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. Don't be a prick.

What free anti-virus do you use?

Postby xide » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:03 pm

I keep looking for a good free anti-virus to offer my clients, I used to give out MSSE until it quit working with XP (yes I still have a lot of XP clients) I've tried a few and I get complaints that they cause the system to run slow (users with less than 1-2GB of ram) or it starts to nag them about registering or upgrading. Of course I like repeat business so I don't expect anything great, but nothing that is worthless either.

Anyone have and recommendations to try?

These are my only requirements really.
a) runs on a system with less than 1GB of ram
b) no nagging/registering screens

Thank you kindly in advance. Cheers!
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Re: What free anti-virus do you use?

Postby Dustin D » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:27 pm

We are re-sellers of AVG here so we generally put AVG on things. It's pretty non-intrusive, you can schedule scans, and it never really tries to get you to pay except during major updates. Even then I've only had one customer manage to install a trial version of their Internet Security that way. I like it because even though you aren't paying for real time scanning it still scans things as they are downloaded. It's not invincible, but not much is. We put it on any unprotected device that comes in with an owner that refuses a paid version.
Specs from their website:

Minimum system requirements for AVG:
Processor: Intel Pentium 1.5 GHz or faster
Memory: 512 MB of RAM (Windows XP) / 1024 MB of RAM (Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8)
Hard disk free space (for installation):
AVG Anti-Virus Free: 1200 MB

Recommended system requirements for AVG:
Processor: Intel Pentium 1.8 GHz or faster
Memory: 1024 MB of RAM
Hard disk free space (for installation):
AVG Anti-Virus Free: 1500 MB
Dustin D

Postby piksel » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:53 pm

Well, I also look for some free antivirus...
piksel

Postby xide » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:35 pm

Thanks Dustin I appreciate that! I think I will give it a try .....but it really doesn't offer real time scanning? I was under the assumption most did.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Postby Dustin D » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:14 am

I was under the assumption that it was a feature of paid AV solutions and that the free versions mostly offered scheduled scanning. I could be wrong of course.
Dustin D

Postby Huskylogic » Tue May 05, 2015 8:27 pm

Consumer Reports rates Avast the highest. I've tried AVG in the past but found that it was a big resource hog when it came to older machines. It's been a few years so they might have changed. I've been using Avast, because they seem to be getting great reviews and ratings. I do have some clients who have the paid versions of AVG, and love them. They all have faster machines though.
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. –Albert Einstein
Huskylogic
Forum Moderator

Return to Business Stuff