Aussie users of Foolishit tools

Discuss everything related to the business side of PC Repair, including software to run your business, advertising, marketing, legal issues, etc. etc.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. Don't be a prick.

Aussie users of Foolishit tools

Postby und3rtak3r » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:11 pm

Looking for a d7/dSS users who are having issues with updates on either of these apps. and those that are not.. Question Telstra or other?

All my issues point to internet connectivity, have now tested on 5 networks outside my own.. problem is all of these have access to ONLY Telstra ISP networks on each of these sites. 99% of access in my area is telstra.
The TechGuru4U
RTFM D7 here
RTFM D7II here
RTFM dSupportSuite Here

You may call me Glenn
und3rtak3r

Re: Aussie users of Foolishit tools

Postby Nick » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:55 am

bump for Aussie love - I know there are plenty of you out there, would love to see if Glenn's issues are ISP related because they are all connectivity related.
Author of d7x and other PC technician's tools. http://www.d7xTech.com

Nick
Site Admin

Postby Nick » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:31 am

I'm still on this btw. You aren't the only one with the connectivity issues, it seems. http://www.foolishtech.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=490

You did get my PM about the server swaps, right? I'm anxious to hear about when you (and synapse) are having the troubles with dSSMC if you are also having connectivity issues in working with dCloud's definition sharing via d7 at the same time. That tells me there is something not right about who is hosting my server, and I'll probably need to move it to a new host. I'd just hate to go to that length if it won't help.

Nick
Site Admin

Postby und3rtak3r » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:50 am

Sorry, had intended to reply..

Have found with the foolishIT servers .. one Telstra Router on the US side of the Pond, with very long ping responses, timeouts on tracert.. when monitoring traffic only moderate levels of retry data packets BUT all that I can put down to a Benchmark for OK to Good.. cause I have not had any issue while monitoring with either d7/dCloud/dSSMC... ..
doing a basic tracert and ping sweep the just now is showing all good to foolishIT, and a bit of traffic troubles to the new one.. but my analyser is currently in a client premises so I can't do a traffic monitor...
in the last 2 week .. I have not had any connection error messages on dss-MC.. and on d7 2 times i had to re-check for updates, and have not tested d7-dcloud enough to get any real idea.. but no fails there.. wait is the word though.
The TechGuru4U
RTFM D7 here
RTFM D7II here
RTFM dSupportSuite Here

You may call me Glenn
und3rtak3r

Postby Nick » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:07 pm

cool.

on the d7 update note, a known issue right now is that my HTTP download code for the FoolishUpdates.ini (actually it's zipped, but anyway it tells d7 whether or not a d7 update exists) and that code is either not working when d7 first starts up (until you manually check for it) or it is caching the update file and not re-downloading it. This is something I've pretty much never been able to nail down 100% how to fix reliably (to force a re-download of a cached file 100% of the time, seems now it only works *sometimes* in my testing and more often than not it fails to bypass the cache properly - and I have tried using Microsoft's code examples verbatim in addition to doing it the way others suggest as it seems that Microsoft's example is badly flawed with the syntax of the API - in Microsoft's example you pass the local path/filename to the function to bypass the cache, yet in a different example (I think also by M$, but by others as well) you pass the URL... The path/filename thing makes no sense to me b/c how the hell am *I* supposed to know what the actual temp file is named and specifically which sub of temp internet files it is located in..... This is what I get for not having my own download DLL but rather using M$ built-in Windows functionality (i.e. IE) lol internet explorer ;) If I knew of a better way I would go there, but I don't. I could try to find a 3rd party dll but likely it would suck too for one reason or another and sticking with as much pure M$ components as possible seems to be the way to go in my experience (as much as I hate to admit it.)

long story short, as a result of the above caching issue when you (re)check for updates manually from d7's update dialog, I have it force an update check by connecting via FTP for the update file - and FTP transfers are never cached - so the update gets recognized by that check 100% of the time. Now why don't I move replace the standard HTTP check with the FTP based check? Speed mostly, as the FTP check is far slower, and remember d7 is configured to check for updates by default on every startup - (even I leave my d7 copy configured like that and I'm the ONE person who should know without that function lol) so point being I wouldn't want to slow down every d7 startup for that. I also want to minimize the number of FTP connections on my server at any given time for performance reasons on the server side as well.

Nick
Site Admin

Return to Business Stuff