Offline scans

Discuss Malware removal, techniques, trends, etc. and repairing Windows after removal.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. Don't be a prick.

Offline scans

Postby xide » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:54 am

I was wanting some suggestions from people about their favorite offline scanners. I find myself needing a good arsenal lately. I typically have been using rescue discs for offline scans....but they don't always seem to do the trick....or won't load...or update.

I appreciate everyone input on their favorites and what they think are most effective. If you have other methods that I could try other than what i'm using (usb booting rescue discs/utilities) i'd love to know that as well.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Re: Offline scans

Postby EagleTech » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:41 pm

The regulars (Stinger, A2, & SAS)
"Stormin'" Norman (Direct DL)
VIPRERescue
Sophos Virus Removal Tool (Direct DL)
Dr. Web CureIt (Direct DL)

But what I've had very good luck with lately has been the Kaspersky Rescue Disk
EagleTech

Re: Offline scans

Postby xide » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:39 pm

Thanks for those......I had a really bad one yesterday....REALLY BAD. to the point where I was thinking I need to pull the drive and scan it offline. Kaspersky rescue disc didn't find anything at all. However I was able to get into it after using....
Bitdefender (found 2)
Avira (found 6)
Panda (found 4)
Comodo (found 3)

after running all these I was finally able to get back in....it has caused holy hell though, I was able to get into safe mode a few times. Tried to run d7ii which became non responsive...finally got it to work in normal mode, and started my full auto....next thing I know i'm getting BSOD, I can no longer boot into windows normally because a Foolish Tech mod has become the default. using recovery manager I finally fixed that about an hour later.....now i'm finally back into windows and it's literally finding thousands....and for some reason d7ii is skipping some of the scans.

wow....just full blown chaos, i've never had that kind of thing happen. This client had brought this to me after one of those phone scams got him.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Return to Malware Removal