FBI virus.....tablet edition?

Discuss Malware removal, techniques, trends, etc. and repairing Windows after removal.
Forum rules
1. Try to give more than you take, when possible.
2. Don't be a prick.

FBI virus.....tablet edition?

Postby xide » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:24 pm

I just had a customer come in who said he had an FBI virus on his tablet...I didn't believe it at first, until I saw it. I normally don't work on tablets but this had me interested. His AVG wasn't detecting it, and it was taking up about 80% of the screen. I tried going to play.google.com to send another anti-virus app to his device so hopefully we can scan with that.

That plan didn't work as it was blocking those connections. Luckily he didn't care about what was on his device and said I can wipe it if needed. So through some sliding around windows, I was able to hit the edge of the avg icon and load its task killer (android task manager did not detect it). The task/program is called "Private video" and uses a flash player looking logo with a black f. After you kill this task you have to work quickly, and hit the reset screens/buttons because the "private video" will come back after about 5-10 secs. and take up most of the screen again. I used the AVG secure wipe he had on there, and that did the trick and reset his device right away.

Also there was the icon for "Private video" on his home screen, I did attempt to just uninstall it but it didn't allow this. If he had a uninstall manager, that might have worked better. Also note that this "virus" changed the developer options to download from unknown sources. He claimed he was trying to view a website on "how to install a pool" (yeah...sure)....and it asked him to download something to view it and he clicked yes.

Hopefully this information will help someone here in the future. Also be careful watching "pool" related videos :lol:
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.....Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle. I'm afraid I can't explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?
xide

Re: FBI virus.....tablet edition?

Postby laplandz » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:56 pm

Cheers for the heads up, hadn't heard of malware on tablets before, will imagine they gonna be a pain to clean. Wonder if it was an indoor pool he wanted [FEARFUL FACE]

Sent from Tapatalk
.. ...
I can walk on water, but I can’t perform miracles.
laplandz

Return to Malware Removal